Triathalon Training Bike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triathalon Training Bike

Hey, does anyone have experience with road bikes?

I'm going to start training for a tri and I have no biking background (or swimming for that matter). After looking at bike shops and online I realized that road bikes cost more than my first car.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an inexpensive bike that doesn't completely suck?

My potential price range is upto 700 but I'd much rather keep it under 400.
    |TG|Switch

Better known as:
    That noob who crashed the chopper.
    That noob who ran over the mine.
    That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
    That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Re: Triathalon Training Bike

I'm not a road bike expert, but I do have a nice Cannondale and have spent a lot of time looking into Tri's and road biking.

What length of tri are you looking to do? Sprint/Olympic/Half/Full? With no biking background how likely are you to try this once and not want to do it again? You don't have to have a road bike for a Tri, you can do it on a mountain bike, however, most people don't because of the weight of a mountain bike and the big knobby tires.

I started with a Hybrid Bike, they (start) cheaper than road bikes and offer a more upright sitting position.

Trek is always going to be a good choice
    http://bgindy.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=10698

So is Cannondale:
    http://bgindy.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=9860

As you saw Road bikes get expensive quickly (plus Tri specific bikes start expensive), plus most do not come with pedals.

I've never ridden a Giant, but I've heard good things about them and generally they start less expensive than Trek or Cannondale

http://bgindy.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=9780
    http://a1cyclery.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=1801

Upgrading on a road bikes basically means, more expensive derailers and a lighter frame, which is something I wouldn't worry about unless you're at your ideal weight and are in top physical condition. You're talking about dropping a few pounds of bike weight for a grand more in bike cost. Most people can lose that weight from their bodies and not worry about the bike.

As for road vs hybrid. The hybrid is heavier and has bigger/wider tires which equates into greater rolling resistance and the hybrid has a more upright riding style. Now I'm a big guy 280+ and I ride my road bike just fine, I can't use the lower part of the handle bars, but if you're smaller the extra positions offered by a road bike vs a straight handle bar can be beneficial.
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Some additional thoughts:

Buy from a local bike shop, get on and ride the bikes there at the store.

Your first few rides, your a$$ is going to be SORE, this is normal and even those tiny bike seats will feel just fine after a few days-weeks.

Check out www.sheldonbrown.com great information there.

Buy bike shorts!!! if you're self conscious about Lycra shorts, buy mountain bike baggies and NO underwear, the shorts are made so that there are no seams in your sitting area, this will cause great discomfort on a long ride.

Look into clipless pedals, if you buy a road bike you have to buy pedals anyway so you might as well start this way. Clipless seem scary since you're locked into your bike, but unless you forget that you have them on, which won't happen at first, they are not hard to get used to. You will fall, everyone who uses clipless pedals falls, but you're usually going slow and stopping so it's not big deal.

You need a helmet, any race is going to require one, regardless of your opinion of them.

You won't get a discount on a new bike, but typically your local bike shop will give you a discount on all of the accessories you buy with a new bike.

Get a bike pump, there are two types of valves that come with bikes, schrader and presta, schrader valves are what you've seen before, presta valves are smaller, most bike pumps can inflate tires with either valve.

That's about all I can think of right now.
      Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

but you can save more on bikes :)

Comment

I used to train for XC pretty seriously (60 mile average week peaking at 100 a week) so biking will be a breeze, I'm not worried about backing out of it.

www.bikesdirect.com seems to have some good prices when compared to just about everywhere. Anyone familiar with the brands they carry?
          |TG|Switch

Better known as:
          That noob who crashed the chopper.
          That noob who ran over the mine.
          That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
          That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

A couple of amusing bike photos:

http://failblog.org/2008/08/18/love-fail/
            http://failblog.org/2008/08/19/bike-fail-2/
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X