Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical Gamer: The Year

Picture this if you will...

A young man stumbles around the local mall. Just off his ten month stint in the World of WarCraft, he's burnt out. But just as sure as the rains fall, this gamer needs his next fix. Scanning the discounted titles he stops on a futuristic FPS: Battlefield 2142. Fifteen dollars, tax not included; does he have that kind of money? Rummaging through his pocket, crumpled notes and change bounce off the counter; just enough to cover it. One year game insurance? No he takes care of his games. Prima Strategy Guide? Please, the internet is now people.

Installed within the hour of edificial return, our gamer spends the next two weeks bouncing from server to server learning the game's nuances. As he continues to play he feels an emptiness. Something lacking while playing but he can't quite put his finger on it. Joining another random server he hits "JOIN" on the first squad he finds. Wait a tick... squads aren't really squads when no-one's talking and green dots are all over the place on the minimap! Scoffing at the hundredth 24/7 Camp Gib slaughterhouse he's connected to in as many hours he just decides that it's enough. [DISCONNECT]

Refreshing the server list he finds a name that looks promising: Tactical Gamer Conquest. Decent ping and plenty of players. He jumps through the regular hoops; join the first squad with an open spot, get ready to spawn at a flag near the action, etc. Just as he's about to hit OK to come in his flag of choice he hears unfamiliar noises coming from the game... Is that... is that someone talking? 0_0

"Hold your spawn." 0_0; The mouse cursor moves away from [OK]

"I need assault medics." 0_o;; (Assault whozits?) He clicks on the assault kit, thankfully defib paddles are default.

"Ok, spawn on me." Eeeoookay. He learned that trick early. The moving green dot is the squad leader.

*Spawn* Bullets whizzing by, he goes down like a sack of potatoes. Rats, tagged like the pylon he was. Now to wait for the respawn counter...

"Clear!"

"WHAT THE...?", he exclaimed. Bullets whiz by again but this time he's on his belly in the dirt. Not so easy to tag this time!

Again the unknown voice boomed. "With me, we're taking Harbour." Shoot, he's behind now... time to catch up. :icon26:

-----

In case you couldn't tell, our heroic nublet was yours truly. I stumbled onto the TG Conquest Server by accident and suddenly heard people talking and defib paddles charging. The game was different just by playing on the server. I ended up spending the majority of my time playing BF2142 with TG and frankly never looked back.

That was a little over a year ago since it took some cajoling to get me to register for the forums. About a month after that I ponied up to support the community and then the NUT jobs found and added me to the flock. Between the community, TGU, and sponsored events I've derived more pleasure from BF2142 than any other previously played game. That's not to say BF2142 is the end-all of TG. I've played vanilla BF2, TF2, CS:S, POE, and PR on TG servers and the camaraderie is shared regardless.

More than anything it's the people. I'm glad to be associated with all you guys and gals.
    So here's to another year of mayhem!

CHEERS!

sigpic

Donate Blood. Ask for a gun and a bucket.

Re: Tactical Gamer: The Year

And now he spends his time traveling the globe, waiting to get home so he can get back into 2142 again. What a junkie we've created. :D

Very nice writing, Doc - it's a nice anniversary to celebrate. Let's make the next year even better!

"Remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Comment

Thanks for sharing Doc. <3!

Hey you screwed my first rep!

I told him live he has good writting =P!

|TG-8th| ShinigamiRyuk
      PSN: Leyala

Comment

Love ya Doc,

Keep the paddles out, you know I need a revive
        Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

What a great tribute! TG definitely stands out from all the other servers. TG taught me the way these online games were MEANT to be played. CS:S and BF2 used to be utter mayhem until I discovered TG.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

That's a great story, Doc, something I think we all share in our histories here. It always puts a smile on my face when I hear the new guy say "this is a great server, I'm definitely adding this to my favorites".
            |TG|Melee
            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Amen Doctah. I'm also glad I found TG.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Nice write up Doc...

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Comment

Cheers mate! Great write-up and it tells the similar experience we all share about how we got and stay here!

Comment

Great guns?!? It's been a year already? Excellent write-up Doc!

I'd +rep but:
                    "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to ThaDoctah again"

Memor Depopulor Pro Vos Exuro

Comment

All I have to say is, 'Gentlemen, we have found a home.'

Let us also take a moment to remember all our comrades that have moved on to other ventures over the year.

And a hearty welcome to all the new ones we've met as well.

It has been quite a year.

Comment

Originally posted by ThaDoctah View Post
                        Picture this if you will...

A young man stumbles around the local mall. Just off his ten month stint in the World of WarCraft, he's burnt out. But just as sure as the rains fall, this gamer needs his next fix. Scanning the discounted titles he stops on a futuristic FPS: Battlefield 2142. Fifteen dollars, tax not included; does he have that kind of money? Rummaging through his pocket, crumpled notes and change bounce off the counter; just enough to cover it. One year game insurance? No he takes care of his games. Prima Strategy Guide? Please, the internet is now people.

Installed within the hour of edificial return, our gamer spends the next two weeks bouncing from server to server learning the game's nuances. As he continues to play he feels an emptiness. Something lacking while playing but he can't quite put his finger on it. Joining another random server he hits "JOIN" on the first squad he finds. Wait a tick... squads aren't really squads when no-one's talking and green dots are all over the place on the minimap! Scoffing at the hundredth 24/7 Camp Gib slaughterhouse he's connected to in as many hours he just decides that it's enough. [DISCONNECT]

Refreshing the server list he finds a name that looks promising: Tactical Gamer Conquest. Decent ping and plenty of players. He jumps through the regular hoops; join the first squad with an open spot, get ready to spawn at a flag near the action, etc. Just as he's about to hit OK to come in his flag of choice he hears unfamiliar noises coming from the game... Is that... is that someone talking? 0_0

"Hold your spawn." 0_0; The mouse cursor moves away from [OK]

"I need assault medics." 0_o;; (Assault whozits?) He clicks on the assault kit, thankfully defib paddles are default.

"Ok, spawn on me." Eeeoookay. He learned that trick early. The moving green dot is the squad leader.

*Spawn* Bullets whizzing by, he goes down like a sack of potatoes. Rats, tagged like the pylon he was. Now to wait for the respawn counter...

"Clear!"

"WHAT THE...?", he exclaimed. Bullets whiz by again but this time he's on his belly in the dirt. Not so easy to tag this time!

Again the unknown voice boomed. "With me, we're taking Harbour." Shoot, he's behind now... time to catch up. :icon26:

-----

In case you couldn't tell, our heroic nublet was yours truly. I stumbled onto the TG Conquest Server by accident and suddenly heard people talking and defib paddles charging. The game was different just by playing on the server. I ended up spending the majority of my time playing BF2142 with TG and frankly never looked back.

That was a little over a year ago since it took some cajoling to get me to register for the forums. About a month after that I ponied up to support the community and then the NUT jobs found and added me to the flock. Between the community, TGU, and sponsored events I've derived more pleasure from BF2142 than any other previously played game. That's not to say BF2142 is the end-all of TG. I've played vanilla BF2, TF2, CS:S, POE, and PR on TG servers and the camaraderie is shared regardless.

More than anything it's the people. I'm glad to be associated with all you guys and gals.
                        So here's to another year of mayhem!

CHEERS!

Pretty much the same story for me.

Comment

I too was hooked the minute I heard clear and concise orders being given and a team actually doing what a team should be doing.

I have yet to play anywhere else!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X