X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygen Bars

Has anybody actually tried these?
    If you dont know what im talking about heres some background info:
    It started in japan in the 90's where you inhale around 30% oxygen through a nasal cannula.
    Supposedly "an energy alternative to coffee"
    Also its supposed to help improve your immune system as well as alleviate migraines and hangovers.
    So i was wondering if anybody has any first hand experience with these and does it do what it says?

Re: Oxygen Bars

I don't have experience, but if you want to increase the oxygen content of your habitat, buy some plants. Oxygen is what they do.

Ultimately, feeling a lack of energy is a symptom of a problem. Coffee, oxygen, et cetera may cover the symptom but they don't fix the problem. Exercise. Take your plants for a jog or something.

Comment

30% oxygen is a really insignificant increase, given that normal air is 21%.

I've huffed on 100% O2 from the F-15 and feel nothing. I call placebo. Though oxygen COULD relieve headaches, depending on the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
        30% oxygen is a really insignificant increase, given that normal air is 21%.

I've huffed on 100% O2 from the F-15 and feel nothing. I call placebo. Though oxygen COULD relieve headaches, depending on the cause.
        Yup. On the C-5, we also had O2 regulators I'd use sometimes, such as in a rapid decompression (which I've experienced a couple of times). Once I had a long night in Germany before a mission. Plenty of time had passed since I had been drinking, but I still had a nasty headache and felt like crust. So when my pre-flight was done and the crew had gone to chow, I stayed behind and laid in the old navigator seat with an oxygen mask strapped to my face. Only about 5-10 minutes later, I felt awesome. The headache and hangover were all gone.

Thus, the only reason I'd go to an oxygen bar would be to help relieve a headache. Probably wouldn't do much for migraines, though.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

The problem with oxygen bars is once you take off the wrapper, you have to eat it super fast, otherwise it dissipates.
          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
            The problem with oxygen bars is once you take off the wrapper, you have to eat it super fast, otherwise it dissipates.
            :icon_lol: EXACTLY what I was thinking :D

Comment

HA..!! you guys crack me up!! hahahahah

Comment

I was reading somewhere that recent research may show that breathing 100% oxygen is actually harmful to your brain.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                  I was reading somewhere that recent research may show that breathing 100% oxygen is actually harmful to your brain.
                  Oxygen is an oxidizer ;D But yeah 100% oxygen accelerates cell death and not just in your brain IIRC
                  ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                  No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                    This is true at ground level, but pilots need 100% oxygen at high altitudes due to the differences in atmospheric pressure. Because the density of air lessens the higher you go, the more of it you end up needing. That's why an oxygen bottle depletes fast (as in 5-10 minutes) at high altitudes, but can last up to an hour at low altitudes. So at high altitudes, you NEED 100% oxygen to get enough O2 to your brain to avoid hypoxia. It probably is toxic and not so good for the brain, but it helps avoid a blackout, crashing, and ultimately dying.

This being said, I've also heard what you have. That pure O2 is bad and being looked at more seriously. They're saying we should start using lower concentrations of O2 for medical purposes and such, right?

Comment

Yeah War. I don't really know much about it. I just recalled something about that when I saw the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                        This is true at ground level, but pilots need 100% oxygen at high altitudes due to the differences in atmospheric pressure. Because the density of air lessens the higher you go, the more of it you end up needing. That's why an oxygen bottle depletes fast (as in 5-10 minutes) at high altitudes, but can last up to an hour at low altitudes. So at high altitudes, you NEED 100% oxygen to get enough O2 to your brain to avoid hypoxia. It probably is toxic and not so good for the brain, but it helps avoid a blackout, crashing, and ultimately dying.

This being said, I've also heard what you have. That pure O2 is bad and being looked at more seriously. They're saying we should start using lower concentrations of O2 for medical purposes and such, right?
                        Ok, I'm being dumb today. I made a HUGE mistake in what I was saying about altitudes. It's quite the opposite. The bottles deplete fast at LOW altitudes and last up to an hour at high altitudes. I just realized I made a giant error earlier and needed to correct myself before anyone else noticed.

<<<Slaps self>>>

Comment

It also gets toxic under high pressure, hence the art of mixing breathing gases in deep dive vessels.

Or maybe they just put helium in there because they like listening to their bosses sound like Mickey Mouse. :p
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X