Night shots, digital photography

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night shots, digital photography

I have been struggling with getting a proper night-shot from my balcony(excellent view over Oslo).

I purchased a Canon G9 6 months ago and hoped it could help me get a proper shot. But alas it still produces too much noise when I try to get a night-snot. I cannot have too long exposure time as I wan´t the dark in the contrast with the lights from the houses.

I talked to a colleague of mine and he mentioned a technique involving taking several pictures on a tripod and then interpolating the pictures to remove the noise. Does anybody know how to do this with Aperture(and raw images)?
    --
    VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Re: Night shots, digital photography

Are you talking HDR?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging
    former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Yes, I think it might be what he was referring to.
      --

Comment

You guys are almost impossible to tell apart with those avatars and signatures. For a second there, I thought you were having a conversation with yourself.
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Select an appropriate ISO. In concept, the bigger the number, the faster the film. CCDs perform in a similar-enough way that the number system is still used. In short, a small number will need a lot of exposure, be it light brightness or duration, but the quality will be very good. A large number will not require as much exposure, but it will be noisier. While film mostly stopped at 400, digital equivalency runs up to 1600 or 3200. If you are getting a lot of noise in your darkness, lower the ISO, and increase the aperture if your new exposure times are too large. Of course, widening your aperture will reduce depth of field, and you might not get the focus range you want.

I'd rather take a clean shot than many dirty ones and try to average them out... if you're going to digitally process like that, just take one clean-ish shot and edit it to taste. Gamma adjustment will help with the house-light problem, but only if you've gotten the noise down, since noise will jump in your face after applying a gamma curve.

My D40 has a "noise reduction" feature in the top ISO mode. I've heard mixed impressions about it, but you might try it if you have such a feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
            You guys are almost impossible to tell apart with those avatars and signatures. For a second there, I thought you were having a conversation with yourself.

Am glad I am not the only one..!! hahaha :)

Comment

I use a Canon S3-IS which is not a G3. Nice selection by the way!
              I might upgrade to one or just go DSLR. But in the flickr.com user group for S3-IS cameras.
              A thread was started about what you are asking.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonpo.../?search=night

Comment

Originally posted by amu107.9 View Post
                I use a Canon S3-IS which is not a G3. Nice selection by the way!
                I might upgrade to one or just go DSLR. But in the flickr.com user group for S3-IS cameras.
                A thread was started about what you are asking.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonpo.../?search=night
                Actually it is a G9.

Thanks for the link!
                --

Comment

This is a great HDR tutorial: http://www.vanilladays.com/hdr-guide/
                  former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X