Gaming Addiction?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Addiction?

I have not read this article yet, but thought the community might be interested...

Hook it to my Veins: Can Videogaming be an Addiction?
    http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3169643

THEDOGWARRIOR... CALL ME DOG / WILL NOT RESPOND TO "HERE BOY" OR WHISTLING

Re: Gaming Addiction?

If you haven't read it, why post it? Just asking out of curiosity.

Anyways, it's a decent enough read. Lot's of "duh" moments, but also ignores a few differences between addictions.

Namely the difference between mental and physical addiction. I could make you play Gears of War or Madden at gun point for a month and after that month if you didn't like the game, you damn sure wouldn't be playing it after the ordeal was over. Now, if I force you to to take heroine or cocaine for an extended period of time, you may not want to take it again, but your body is going to say otherwise. But that's really just a nitpick on my part.

It's a difference between addictions, but they both do boil down to some form of "rush."

My big problem with articles like these is that they are nothing but pieces "of the time" or the next big thing. Games are popular now (insanely so) and people are abusing them. Wow, way to make a breakthrough there doctor. A whopping 3 people have died from gaming addiction, excuse me while I call the police to report an epidemic.

Can video games be addictive? Does a bear crap in the woods?

Anyways, everyone assumes there are acceptable and non-acceptable things to be addicted to. This is untrue.

Comment

Anything can be become an addiction really. Even video games.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeyandthebandit View Post
        Pretty much said,
        "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
        'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

I'm sorry but if you can play a video game literally until you die...that doesn't make me sad for you. That makes me think you are dumb.

When I see someone going through withdrawals because they are trying to kick something, I don't think to myself "I wonder if he's hooked on WOW?".

Anyone who can relate a desire to play video games with the experience of being genuinely addicted to something (and yes I am familiar with it) is, in my book, a straight up moron.

I would like to find each and every person who tries to push this anti-video gaming propaganda and inject them with meth or oxy for a week and then we will see what their opinions are on video game addictions.

It all gets back to Mrs. J CongressWoman trying to protect your kids from themselves. How about instead of everyone worrying about video games we start expeceting parents to be parents and monitor their kids and filter their intake. There's a novel concept for you.
          |TG-8th Mercs|*New to TG? Start here*Become a Supporting Member

Comment

Sorry, I'm too busy taking out assets to read that.
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Playing a game until you die!? Now that does not evoke sympathy. Quite frankly, you would have to be pretty dumb to do that.

Now with Congress trying to protect us from videogames; leave the job to the parents. We have a rating system, if you don't want your 9 year old kid to play BioShock I completely understand that. Don't let them play it then, don't leave it up to your congressman or woman to do that.

Yeah I like videogames, but the concept of why some people think it's so evil escapes my grasp. Maybe it's like Rock and Roll, of the devils creation then ends up totally accepted and has its own hall of fame. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                Sorry, I'm too busy taking out assets to read that.
                :icon_lol:
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeyandthebandit View Post
                  Hit the nail on the head.
                  "Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books, and there is some evidence that they can't read them either." -- Gore Vidal

|TG| Jaman

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X