Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Officially Official, Honda's new hybrid is the Insight!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officially Official, Honda's new hybrid is the Insight!

Link:

Officially Official, Honda's new hybrid is the Insight!

Thought this would be interesting since most of us here are adults and grown/cough/grit teeth/slap forehead everytime we hit the pump. I have a Ford Ranger and just dumped $40 last night for 3/4 a tank.

If this can come it at the $18.5 grand price and get 50+ miles per gallon, it will sell a ton.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Officially Official, Honda's new hybrid is the Insight!

Cool Prius.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Yeah that's the problem... it looks too much like the Prius.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Not to mention that it's carbon footprint is just as big or bigger than a typical SUV, due to it's specialized materials and construction, particularly the electric cells (ie "batteries"). It's not the answer, but hybrids have been a great tool for making CO2 reduction a mainstream goal, just like the bottle bill made recycling a household chore that the kids do along with washing dishes and feeding the pets.

Let's just hope we can get farther faster than recycling has...we need zero emissions 20 years ago, not 20 years from now.

And yeah, Honda really broke the mold with that exterior design...*nods off to sleep*
        sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

A lot of commenters at the link all said the same thing about the look.
          But personally I don't give a crap. They went with that design because as Toyota found out already, that is the shape that gives the least amount of drag.

And, there have been multiple studies that show a lot of people want a hybrid to look different than a normal car. I don't care what it looks like, as long as it doesn't look like this:

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

If the mileage and features were right, I'd drive that. It does look like two frogs humping, though. I wonder if it comes in bright green? :row__523:
            sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

My problem is I can't afford a vehicle that costs more than...<checks in pocket>...

...$4,359.72.

18k is still a crap load of money for a family of four on a single income. Screw mother earth, my kids gotta eat today if I am gonna have grandchildren who can look down on me later in life for the poor choices I made.
              :row__590:
              |TG-8th Mercs|*New to TG? Start here*Become a Supporting Member

Comment

I think the Civic Hybrid look better than this.

Comment

Agreed about the looks! Why cant we have a damn good looking, Porsche, Lambo, GTR style Hybrid, small and sleek! Not with all the power, but just a damn good looking car!

The new little Psion coupe as a Hybrid would be better than these bloody four door ugly betty's!

Why does a hybrid have to have 4 doors?

:(

Anyway, I am waiting to get rid of my Freelander for the new Mini Crossover or the BMW X1 SUV! which will also be a Hybrid :D

BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Originally posted by Axis of Eeevil View Post
                    If the mileage and features were right, I'd drive that. It does look like two frogs humping, though. I wonder if it comes in bright green? :row__523:
                    The new Yugo Tadpole! :D
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Sadly, the original Insight that was made like 9 years ago had superior mpg to anything out today. It was small, with 2 doors, and only 2 seats. But, I can't help but wonder why no one will make something like that in today's world. Even Honda isn't doing it again. This new Insight is not much like the original. The 2000 model got 61/70 mpg!

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...&model=Insight
                      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                        I think the Civic Hybrid look better than this.
                        They're the same car :)

I'll buy one.
                        Skud

Comment

They are not the same car. The civic hybrid is a completly different car.

And 18k is not that expensive for a car these days. The cheapest base cars still cost a min. of about 12-13k. And if you are getting close to 60mpg with this car, it will bring down the total cost, especially if you have a big commute.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                            Sadly, the original Insight that was made like 9 years ago had superior mpg to anything out today. It was small, with 2 doors, and only 2 seats. But, I can't help but wonder why no one will make something like that in today's world. Even Honda isn't doing it again. This new Insight is not much like the original. The 2000 model got 61/70 mpg!

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...&model=Insight
                            Good point. I currently get 50 mpg (I drive primarily on the highway) on my 225K '95 Honda Civic CX. One of the reasons I'm not looking to buy a new car anytime soon is because of the fuel efficiency of my Civic. A car that's almost 15 years old is getting better mileage than probably 95% of the cars on the road today. Pretty sad.

The curb weight on the older Insight was around 1900 pounds. My Civic is 2108 and the current Prius is around 2921. Weight of a vehicle besides aerodynamics is the probably the biggest factor in fuel efficiency. I'm assuming the new Insight would be around the same weight as the Prius. Hence, the older Insight had a huge weight advantage over the new Hybrids.. Though, Americans like their comforts in cars and most people probably don't want to drive around in a 1900 pound car that has interior noise and rides a bit rough (like my Civic).

I don't really mind the look of the new Insight. I'm really waiting for the Fit hybrid.
                            |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                            "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                            - Check me out on The Onion
                            - I'm on the local news!

Comment

The point being that in order for Hybrids to become mainstream, they need to be...

wait for it...

LIVEABLE. (as TheFatKidDeath just outlined)... so expanding ever so slightly on that...

A Prius is a pretty nicely equipped vehicle, and let's not forget about changes in safety standards the past 10 years. Also if you were to look at mileage x weight x size x whatever, you'd probably find that 40-45mpg on a car that weighs almost 3,000lbs is pretty good. Does the Civic CX have Power Steering, even? That would be the question too. A vehicle that light may not NEED it, but a heavier vehicle WILL. Including the Prius. Some people may bemoan that a 3,400LB Hybrid car with AWD only gets 40MPG on the highway. Given the weight and drivetrain complexity alone....

There are always design reservations, too. You might want a vehicle that has a more aggressive stance, or a more squared-off front end, or muscular wheel edges. As aerodynamic as they can be made these days, a wedge is still going to have less drag than a brick. The air still needs to flow over those arches, and experience turbulence going around-under-over that front end.

The Prius is just the running standard example I'm using, here.
                              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X