Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRM sinks Spore

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=9317&Itemid=1

Thought you Spore guys might find this interesting. Read it on other servers as well.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: DRM sinks Spore

pff... unbelievable.

My friend got the game 4 days ago and it's super fun to play... I was going to buy it myself, but given this, I think I'll just play on his PC.

Comment

This kind of technology definitely sucks for our troops who can't connect their laptops to the internet for authentication. I remember when I was TDY, how pissed off I'd get when I'd buy a game at the PX downrange somewhere, then come to find out I couldn't play the damn thing because I'd have to "activate" it. The best example I can think of was Half-Life 2. Everyone was really excited about it's release, but when the crew and I got it installed on our computers, we had to connect to Steam. Well, since we weren't able to connect our computers to the internet, we were up a creek until we got back to Europe or the States. That stunk.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Steam service for many reasons, but the Half-Life 2 release was a real heart-breaker for those of us who were stuck in the desert.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by fudzilla
        Ironically the DRM is already cracked and people can use illegal versions of the game without having to bother with it. So it is only the legitimate users who are suffering from EA Games' DRM.
        :row__642:
        LMAO...that's great...another reason to pirate software before you buy it.
        |TG-8th Mercs|*New to TG? Start here*Become a Supporting Member

Comment

Originally posted by Rali3gH View Post
          :row__642:
          LMAO...that's great...another reason to pirate software before you buy it.
          Actually, I always end up "cracking" it after purchase. Take 2142 for instance. I really hate having the DVD in the drive. Its pointless. You already have to register and login to their master server so why the hell do I need the DVD in the drive????? Instead, I use Daemon Tools to mount an image of the DVD I made to side step that requirement.

Comment

I've used Daemon Tools for earlier BF editions. (Never got 2142.)
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I used it to for BF2 until I started playing FFoW. Apparently some of it's issues were the result of having Daemon Tools type stuff installed. Now that FFoW is apparently dead maybe I'll throw DT back on and make life easier when I'm playing BF2.

Comment

Hate how they do this, wasnt able to play COH for a couple months due to frogetting my accounts password and back up hints or w\e...

Anyone got a link to this? Would be nice to be able to have something besides BF2 in the comp 24/7 for the PR addiction, would probably also be a easier way to keep track of CDs...
                "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

I mentioned this in another thread. I just about bought it, had it in my hands, then put it back because of this.

Games like this (simcity is another) I play for a couple of weeks then uninstall. A couple of months later install, play, uninstall. I like installing them on my laptop because they are perfect games when I am not on the internet.

I still play simcity every couple of months. But this game won't let me do this.

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I am writing EA.

And the one star ratings at Amazon are up to 1,736!
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I bought it. And I agree, DRM will bite me in the ass in less than a year...

But, because I spent the money for the game, I wont feel guilty later when I use a cracked version, DRM free.
                    Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                      I bought it. And I agree, DRM will bite me in the ass in less than a year...

But, because I spent the money for the game, I wont feel guilty later when I use a cracked version, DRM free.
                      I've been considering that option. But does that limit the interaction with the spore online DB? Could they track you down by that and disable your game or try to sue you?

That would be an interesting court case. They try to sue you for using a pirated version but you provide the proof that you own a legit version.
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

You don't need to register/connect online - the game generates its own creatures/tribes/whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                          I've been considering that option. But does that limit the interaction with the spore online DB?
                          If you bought the game and then get the crack you can go online as usual. The online process is tied to the game serial number, not to the spore executable. The reason some people mention you can't go online with the cracked version is because they don't have a legitimate serial number.

So, just install the purchased version, register it, get the crack and overwrite the exe and you are good.
                          Twisted Firestarter
                          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                          sigpic

Comment

On a related note: "EA gives customers middle finger with "lenient" Red Alert 3 DRM". LOL, why don't they just remove it already.

EA has been dealing with something of a PR problem with Spore, as gamers bomb the Amazon ratings with one-star reviews to make their feelings known on the issue of DRM. Who can blame them? Placing a limit on how many times you can install a game you own, and doing so after the game has already been made available via the expected channels online in pirated form, is lame. EA wants you to know that it is listening, however, and the install limit for Red Alert 3 has been raised to five.

In other words, EA has decided to loosen the handcuffs slightly. We're supposed to be very happy at this "progress." Chris Corry, the Executive Producer on the game, has more details:

Life happens. I know it's unlikely, but for those unlucky few who install the game and have their machines nuked (virus, OS reinstall, major hardware upgrade, etc.) five times, EA Customer Service will be on hand to supply any additional authorizations that are warranted. This will be done on a case-by-case basis by contacting customer support.

So if you use your computer like us geeks and do a lot of reinstalls, or simply uninstall and reinstall the game enough to hit the five user limit, you'll have to plead your case to EA's customer service and hope they grant you some more use of the game you've already paid for. No promises though. This is on a "case-by-case" basis. Another EA employee on the forum described this as "the lenient measures" they are taking for those of us with concerns.
                            SOURCE

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

And all of this DRM crap is completely moot since it does just get cracked and punishes legitimate users only - Sins of a Solar Empire contains no copyright protection whatsoever and is one of the highest-selling PC games of recent times. I'm wondering why they keep bothering with it since quite apparently from the reaction it got from consumers, it actually hurts them more to include the DRM.
                              "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                              -- Red Forman

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X