DSL or CABLE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL or CABLE

Hello, I have a very high ping when I play on this server. Would like to know where this server is located. Right now I have cable, and want to switch to DSL to see if that help. Does any one have info DSL?

Re: DSL or CABLE

Which server are you referring to? Further away from the server are, your ping usually is higher, so unless its your ISP giving you problems, switching to DSL may not help you at all. There are some more variables to it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Torres86 View Post
      Hello, I have a very high ping when I play on this server. Would like to know where this server is located.
      Hey Torres.

I assume your talking about the 2142 servers. They are in Virginia.

Using traceroute is the best way to find out where your ping bottleneck is coming from.

Comment

Cable is ultimately a shared resource, so if many people in your area are online (like during peak hours) your ping will go up and your bandwidth will go down. DSL is ultimately the more stable of the two since they're largely singular "static" connections that cant be influenced by outside sources. Cable also has the tendency to "go out" just like cable TV does.

The catch? Cable has faster upload speeds for the price and if you've got a good high-end ISP usually your ping is good too.

Comment

DSL is my area has better upload speeds for the package, but the download speed suffers.
          You can get ATT here with 6mb/1mb, and I'm on Cable with 10mb/1mb. Before my upgrade it was 5mb/512k.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
            Hey Torres.

I assume your talking about the 2142 servers. They are in Virginia.

Using traceroute is the best way to find out where your ping bottleneck is coming from.
            Yes,that would be right. The server would be for 2142.

Comment

I had a really bad experience with DSL. Since the DSL provider (SpeakEasy in my case) does not own the wires (owned by the local phone company), they cannot provide a complete service. I had to wait weeks for technicians to show up. They never fixed my connection issues and we ended up in a dispute.

Comcast cable has worked great for me. It does not hurt that I'm 20 miles from the 2142 server.

Comment

Torres, I am assuming you are considering Qwest?

My ping has been cut in half since I switched to cable from Qwest DSL, and my DL speeds are 7-8 times faster.

That's my experience in my area of the state though....
                |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

I have also looked into DSL and from my area, cable was the way to go. My downstream bandwidth was higher with cable then it would be for DSL. Regardless of price point, cable was cheaper with higher downstream. Upstream is where DSL generally comes out ahead. I use roadrunner here at leavenworth, and AT&Ts ability to provide DSL is spotty at best. I pay about $20/ month and get 1.5Mbps down and 360 Mbps up. For about $30 I can get about 5Mbps down and 1Mbps up

|TG-IRR|

Comment

As said before, it all depends. Time Warner Cable in San Antonio gave me blazing speeds, pings so low I've been accused of using "hacks" on CS:S, and fantastic connectivity. On the other hand, Charter Cable at my apartment in Fort Worth is absolutely horrible. My speeds blow (even with the 10mb service), I get booted around midnight every night, and they ratted me out to HBO for a show downloaded off my IP once. They are happy participators in the DMCA and show no loyalty to their high paying customers. Oh yeah, and it's pretty expensive.

I've heard that Verizon FIOS is pretty sweet if it's available in your area. It's DSL, but very fast.

There are so many variables, it's hard to say that one is definably better than the other. Just research your options in your local area and ask people you know in the area how their experiences have been.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

The only reason why I got Comcast in this apartment, is because the ATT DSL was so slow here (1.5MBit - far from junction, old copper) that it wouldn't make any sense. My previous apartment averaged 2.5-3.

Otherwise I stick with DSL. It may be only half the speed in some instances, but it's typically somewhat cheaper, and the lines are more consistent in speed and reliable in service. I think I can count on less than one hand, how many outages I've experienced in the two or three years collectively, I've had it either in California or Michigan.

Comcast on the other hand... well...

-and despite distance you'd think I'd have awesome pings being in "Silicon Valley", yeah right. I average between 90-100ms.
                      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Whatever you do, avoid satellite. The latency on satellite is a large fraction of a second, due to speed of light to the satellite and back, and the distance up being so far.

If I could get Speakeasy DSL at my place at a decent speed, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat, and pay more for it. (I'm 28,000 feet away, so way too far.) Speakeasy is the one ISP that doesn't have a recto-cranial inversion in its Terms of Service. I do run Speakeasy at the office (1100k down, 300 up, due to distance from the phone company). Cable won't provide a static IP or allow servers, making it unusable for a business. Their "business" plan is still only for clients, unless you want to pay them to run a T1.

For the problems with DSL, blame the phone company for trying to discourage competition with their internal ISP and making it hard to deploy a rival over their copper. The phone company ISP has the same artificial restrictions that cable has and that Speakeasy lacks.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I was very reluctant to get DSL but it has worked out for me. It is AT&T/yahoo thing. But I only pay $25 for my package of 1.5/756 (or something close to that) and I get that every time I have checked.

One thing that helps me is that the lines are new and underground since they where destroyed in the May 3rd tornado that hit Moore/OKC. One of my neighbors complains that at times his cable connection slows down quite a bit.

So I think the answer is, like everybody says, it depends.
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

For years I had dial-up and it completely sucked. Then a company called Arialink made the headlines on the news offering wireless internet in my area for about the same price as dial-up. We made an appointment but this was during the winter and blizzards every week made it impossible. So in the Spring, I called them up and got on the waiting list and soon enough, we got our faster internet.

However, there was a few drawbacks. The only reason we could get it and not our neighbors was that we had a TV antenna that is as high as the trees in the woods next to my house. Then after a month, their server crashed due to the higher workload of more people hearing about their company. I get a ping that averages 70-80 but it used to be in the 50's. I'm not complaining though.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
                              For years I had dial-up and it completely sucked. Then a company called Arialink made the headlines on the news offering wireless internet in my area for about the same price as dial-up. We made an appointment but this was during the winter and blizzards every week made it impossible. So in the Spring, I called them up and got on the waiting list and soon enough, we got our faster internet.

However, there was a few drawbacks. The only reason we could get it and not our neighbors was that we had a TV antenna that is as high as the trees in the woods next to my house. Then after a month, their server crashed due to the higher workload of more people hearing about their company. I get a ping that averages 70-80 but it used to be in the 50's. I'm not complaining though.
                              Rather interesting that you would get that good of a ping, though, over wireless.
                              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X