What do you read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you read?

Just curious what books, the printed word isnt dead no matter what some people say, the members here read for fun.
    Couple of my current favorites:

David Morrell: spy stories and the like. Very strong stories, early books were the best.
    John Sandford: Has written "The Prey" series, if you like police/crime/good guys, with flaws, who do whatever is needed to solve the case.
    Steve Perry: Sci-Fi stuff
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

-

Re: What do you read?

Originally posted by +Blind+
    Just curious what books, the printed word isnt dead no matter what some people say, the members here read for fun.
    Couple of my current favorites:

David Morrell: spy stories and the like. Very strong stories, early books were the best.
    John Sanford: Has written "The Prey" series, if you like police/crime/good guys, with flaws, who do whatever is needed to solve the case.
    Steve Perry: Sci-Fi stuff

*EDIT*
    Pr0n

Comment

Stu turned me onto Orson Scott Card so I havent been able to put down any of the Ender's Series since I started reading "Ender's Game".

I cant wait for "Advent Rising" (the book and the game).

Plus I read comics (graphic novels, novels, and comic books).

Comment

WoW too much to answer

I listen a lot as I am on the road commuting

Mostly mystery or spy stuff

right now reading Tom Clancey's latest "The Teeth of th Tiger"

Listening to LInda Howards "All the Queens Men"

Just finished listening to Janet Evanovich's "To the Nines"

Just finished listening to Robert Ludlam's "Prometheus Deception"

Waiting for Patricia Cornwall's "Blow Fly" to come available from the library

Waiting for the next in LayHaye and Jenkins Left Behind Series

Waiting for the next in Sue Grafton Alphabet Series I think it is up to "Q is for something.

I have listened to several John Sanfords but not in order so I am not sure what I have missed.

Oh and Dale Brown just finished "TIN MAN"

I know there are ton's more I am forgeting
        "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

i read magazimnes

car related
          maxim, hmg, stuff
          and NY post

sorry for speling

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
            Stu turned me onto Orson Scott Card so I havent been able to put down any of the Ender's Series since I started reading "Ender's Game".
            Have you read Starship Troopers? I think you'd like it if you like the Ender's series...

Actually, I think you might like just about anything by Heinlein... Very intellectual in a philosophical way, and yet very easy to read. Broaches the topics of hedonism/puritanism, atheism/religion, and many other stereotypes/prejudices in an entertaining and thoughtful way. Heinlein is really one of the true literary geniuses of science fiction.

Another one of my favorite books is Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. Please don't let the movie or the size of this novel turn you off... It's excellent.

I also enjoy reading anything by Dean (R.) Koontz. Easy to read horror stories that are close enough to reality to be truly frightening... If you have ever listened to Art Bell's midnight talk show, and think that anything discussed in is show could be true, then you'll find these novels very scary indeed...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

My roommate is a big fan of the Ender's stuff. He's recently found more books in the series (something like parallel story with a different character... i dont pay attention to him).

As for me, I'm a big fan of Hemingway. Read all his short stories and several novels. Here's a current list of my reading "state" or whatever.

Recently read:

Catch22 by Joseph Heller
              War and Peace by Tolstoy (that was work)
              On Killing by Dave Grossman
              Islands in the Stream by Hemingway

In the middle of reading:

The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor
              18 Stories by Heinrich Boll
              Rethinking Schools: An Agenda for Change
              The Crook Factory by Dan Simmons
              The Splinter Factory by Jeffrey McDaniel

In my "Reading Next" pile:

The Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
              Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar
              [volun]

Comment

Dunno, when i'm bored i don't read... And if i don't feel like playing games, I listen to music.

Music has always been big for me, So i guess It takes the place of reading for me. Not that i'm a bad reader, I'm actualy really good at it. I can't spell too great, but my stories and reports are always really discriptive and through. I'm a really good english student, get A's in the class with out trying (course, there are no more spelling tests =P). I just like music ALOT more then reading.

Comment

Originally posted by H-Hour
                  This any good? I bought it, but haven't read it yet...

If anyone's looking for a good book about the realities of defending yourself with a personal firearm, I highly suggest IN THE GRAVEST EXTREME by Massad Ayoob
                  Excellent book.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                    This any good? I bought it, but haven't read it yet...
                    YES!
                    YES!
                    YES!
                    [volun]

Comment

The Iluminatus! trillogy is one of the best reads ever.

Recently I have liked The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
                      (This is a good book to give you a taste of modern Britain. Multiculturalism not tea and crumpets. It is also very well written in terms of character depth, use of language and imagery, and the story itself.)

The Stand - Steven King.
                      Good story, easy to read, but a bit heavy on the christianity and traditional-values be-a-good-citizen kinda thing.

I have been disapointed by the last few books I have read, and I have found that Uni life leaves little time for reading ATM which is a great pitty.

Can't wait for the Dark Tower sequels.

Just bought Jack Kerouac - On the Road but any other recomendations would be good.
                      Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

TERRY PRATCHETT

Also much Heinlein, Asimov, Jennifer Roberson, LE Modessitt, David Eddings, Christopher Stasheff, Robert Aspirin, Douglas Adams, Anne McCaffrey, Georgette Heyer... Pavane, 1984, Fountainhead/Atlas Shrugged are also some seriously cool classics.

Comment

Originally posted by Geisha
                          TERRY PRATCHETT

Also much Heinlein, Asimov, Jennifer Roberson, LE Modessitt, David Eddings, Christopher Stasheff, Robert Aspirin, Douglas Adams, Anne McCaffrey, Georgette Heyer... Pavane, 1984, Fountainhead/Atlas Shrugged are also some seriously cool classics.
                          I'm suprised I did not find Piers Anthony in that list.....

Aspirin & Adams (Adams also is the namesake for many of the things I hold dear and true such as Network 42, Trillan, and my cat Zaphod) are probably the 2 most humorous authors I have read with Piers Anthony a close third.

Hard-core Sci-Fi with Heinlein, Asimov... good choices although O.S.C. is damned good there too.

For my Sci-Fi/Fantasy mixers I prefer Terry Brooks and Anne McCaffrey.

For pure Fantasy: Andre Norton, David Drake, Michael Moorcock, Mercedes Lackey, Harry Harrison.

David Drake's "Lord of the Isles" Series is absolutely spectacular... someone should make that into a D&D based RPG.

Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality" Series really addresses the issue of religion from the eyes of an expressed atheist. It is a must-read.

Lastly but definitely not least is Gordon R. Dickson's "Childe Cycle" which must have 13 or 14 books in the series and constantly builds a universe where nothing is ever boring or what it seems. To watch as man-kind takes a step forward through the evolutionary process is a definite "once in a lifetime" read. Those books will always be in my library and I will never tire of reading them.

I am currently re-reading Piers Anthony's "Bio of a Space Tyrant" Series.
                          Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by L0GiCaL1
                            I'm suprised I did not find Piers Anthony in that list.....
                            Ooops! Everything but the Xanth series, very cool. I especially liked the immortals series. Xanth there's about two really good books and the rest are just getting more and more worthless as he includes all the reader-submitted crap.

Hard-core Sci-Fi with Heinlein, Asimov... good choices although O.S.C. is damned good there too.
                            I've never read anything but Ender's Game but that one was outstanding. Oh my god, how could I have mentioned Asimov without Clarke? My mom would kill me.

For my Sci-Fi/Fantasy mixers I prefer Terry Brooks and Anne McCaffrey.

For pure Fantasy: Andre Norton, David Drake, Michael Moorcock, Mercedes Lackey, Harry Harrison.

David Drake's "Lord of the Isles" Series is absolutely spectacular... someone should make that into a D&D based RPG.

Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality" Series really addresses the issue of religion from the eyes of an expressed atheist. It is a must-read.

Lastly but definitely not least is Gordon R. Dickson's...
                            Absolutely Terry Brooks. On Lackey, everything but the elves-in-new-york thing is great. Although Lackey & McCaffrey have both fallen into the same trap of falling in love with the most recent characters and having too much happen during the same time period... How could I have forgotten Dickson? I love the Dorsai series and "Tactics of Mistake" makes it into my all time top 25. Which doesn't sound very high until you realize how many books I've read over the years... And as to the religious points-of-view thing there's also Heinlein's "JOB: A Comedy of Justice." And "Stranger in a Strange Land" practically bludgeons you with commentary on Christianity. And I also forgot Keith Laumer who ranges from ultra-light & punny (Retief) to some military morality (Bolo). And Poul Anderson. I could go on and on and on...

Did I say TERRY PRATCHETT? I've even gotten Greg (gasp) to read those!

Comment

My roommate is a big fan of the Ender's stuff. He's recently found more books in the series (something like parallel story with a different character... i dont pay attention to him).
                              Shadow Series, The first book of it, Ender's Shadow, is almost a retelling of the first Ender's book but its through the eyes of one of Ender's friends and right hand man, Bean. After the first book, the Ender's series takes place in the future where the Shadow series takes place right after the events of Ender's Game\Shadow. Its another great book.

EDIT: If your friend wants a complete list of books, PM me and I will send you a list. There are about 7 books spanning both series (Ender's and Shadow) with the final (it ties both series together) coming out in 2004. Needless to say, I'm already on the waiting list :)

Originally posted by Dave
                              Have you read Starship Troopers? I think you'd like it if you like the Ender's series...
                              I havent, but I will give it a looks-see

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X