True Blood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Blood

I got my mom the books this is based on to keep her occupied. Apparently it's a humor/romance/occult/detective series involving a southern waitress and her encounters with vampires. I just set it up on my TiVo to check out but haven't seen an episode yet. I'm guessing it will be like Reba McEntire playing Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: True Blood

Saw it last night. I had low expectations going in, but it exceeded them. It's not going to be another Six Feet Under, but it has a quirky appeal to it.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of vampire TV series, but the first episode was quite good. As Tempus mentioned, it had a quirky side to it and made me laugh a few times.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

Saw the premier and last nights episode..I am going to continue to watch it every week..might as well, as it comes on right after my favorite show "Entourage"..:)

Comment

You guys beat me too it, I am really enjoying it, I wasn't a fan nor did I watch 6 Feet Under, but I am enjoying this take on Vampires, and all the nooks and crannies in between.

Plus the eye candy is well......very nice to look at, anna paquin has turned into a head turner, and i must say the accent has me thinking of taking a trip down to the bayou.

Plus I like the premise of it all, and I am a huge fan of Anne Rice's take on this topic so seeing it was a different POV is very nice as well.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Going from Six Feet Under to a project like this just makes me baffled. I don't care for vampires, much less jumping from serious to not serious.
            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
              Going from Six Feet Under to a project like this just makes me baffled. I don't care for vampires, much less jumping from serious to not serious.
              You thought Six Feet Under was "serious"? With repeated appearances by ghosts, and the bizarre ways people died at the beginning of each episode?

True Blood appears to be a quirky (like SFU) treatment of what it would be like if vampires "came out of the closet", comparing them to other minorities. A running theme is the proposed Vampire Rights Act and whether vampires should get the vote and otherwise be treated like mortals. It strikes me as very similar to the way the original Star Trek presented contemporary social issues with the trappings of science fiction.

I don't see the shortcomings of vampire stories being all the different from Star Trek or SFU: All have fantastical elements that require suspension of disbelief in order to follow the story. I'd prefer fewer of those elements, of course. And it's not that the elements are fantastical that bothers me, but that the internal logic to support them isn't fleshed out. Or that at least a reasonable explanation is given for why that logic is omitted.

Along those lines, Sookie asks a vampire whether doctors know about the remarkable restorative property of their blood. He replies that they'd rather not let the doctors know about that.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Does anyone else watch this show? I think it's one of the better shows on television. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good show to watch. Don't dismiss it outright just because it's about vampires. It's about a lot more than that. I wouldn't want to give too much away for those that haven't seen it.

Last night's episode was excellent. I really love the Godric character. It seems that maybe humans can be more violent and ignorant than even the blood-sucking vampires.

I'm also curious to see where the Maryann storyline goes. I know they explained what she is, but is she more powerful than vampires? Is she as old as Godric? Are there any more 'supernaturals' out there that we haven't seen yet? Sam has mentioned werewolves. Maybe we'll see one eventually.

Comment

I love this show, and tune in every Sunday. Last night's ending...BOOM!

Comment

If you like this show, you might also like "Being Human":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_H...28TV_series%29

If you have DirecTV, it's on BBC America.

It's about a ghost, a vampire, and a werewolf living in a London flat and trying to pass for human. Like Doctor Who, it's part fantasy, part drama, part comedy.

In the literary world, I'm starting to read John Ringo's "Princess of Wands". Great novel about a pistol-packing religious soccer mom caught up in a New Orleans serial murder mystery involving the raising of an Old God in the bayou. The author is an ex-marine. Order from Amazon.com

Comment

Just caught up on this last night... wow. Godric is such an awesome character...

Was listening to some mix on pandora.com this morning and this song came on - totally reminded me of True Blood:
                      [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GkkZPNiuVE&fmt=18[/media]

Comment

Great show, my mother has read all the books out and is OBSESSED with Eric >.<

I like the actor since he was from Generation Kill.
                        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

haha, I never put that together.

cool show, not the best though. a little bit on the cheese side. 7/10, but I watch every week.

I love Anna's nekidness.

Comment

Yep, this is in large part soft core pr0n, with a vampire political story tossed in to give it "redeeming social value". ;) That said, the story is well-told and the characters are fun.

Comment

My wife and I have been watching the second season after hearing good things and buying the 1st season on TV. It's entertaining enough, better than most crap on TV. Not my favorite, but good.
                              "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                              -- Red Forman

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X