Submarine Warfare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submarine Warfare

Curious for the rest of you that lurk around TG, but personally I've been playing a lot of submarine games lately, and one of the multiplayer ones seems to be right up the Alley of something the people here might be interested in. Dangerous waters is a game by Sonalysts that's the latest *2005 released* in a long line of Submarine Warfare simulations it also supports the ability to get several people together to command say a Los Angeles class Attack submarine with the following positions;

Commander
    Sonar
    TMA *Target Motion Analysis*
    Weapons control
    radar/Radio.

at 15 dollars it isn't the most expensive game either ;). any thoughts on it?

or would anybody want to get together in the coming month or two to see if we can Take control of the Sea?

Re: Submarine Warfare

That game sounds pretty complex. Plus there is not much visual feedback for being inside a sub. Unless you like reading Guages.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome_To_Hell View Post
      That game sounds pretty complex. Plus there is not much visual feedback for being inside a sub. Unless you like reading Guages.
      Are you kidding I LOVE reading gauges!

Comment

Another option - Silent hunter, it's more of the Lone wolf thing going on, but the Tactics that need to be employed to safely get around and Take out a target in a Submarine that Cruises at 10 Knots and has a Crush depth of 250 Meters is Quite the interesting game of Cat and mouse. Not to mention your Torpedos have no Targeting system and are only designed to cruise 5-10 feet under the surface instead of something like Today's Torpedos.

Best game of chess in the world for me.

Comment

Originally posted by stickyjeans69 View Post
          Another option - Silent hunter, it's more of the Lone wolf thing going on, but the Tactics that need to be employed to safely get around and Take out a target in a Submarine that Cruises at 10 Knots and has a Crush depth of 250 Meters is Quite the interesting game of Cat and mouse. Not to mention your Torpedos have no Targeting system and are only designed to cruise 5-10 feet under the surface instead of something like Today's Torpedos.

Best game of chess in the world for me.
          a little video showing some parts of SH3
          I second that. Silent Hunter 3 was the best game I ever played in the sub genre. Depending on the realism settings you would have to feed all the information yourself into the targetting computer, etc. Its even better with the Grey Wolves community pack expansion/addon from SimHQ.
          Last edited by Bisclaveret; 09-14-2008, 11:04 PM.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
          <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
          DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

yes Grey wolves is an Awesome expansion for SH3 Still learning the German Warboats but as soon as i've learned them I plan to pull out SH4 and give the bigger american submarines a try

Comment

Is it true what they say, that SH4 was more of an expansion/addon to SH3's game? It looked very similar, but with american ships.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
              <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
              DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

well, yes and no - the TDC's are very similar the American version is a little steeper on the learning curve, I dont know what's much to add to the Silent hunter series? its not so much an expansion since they completely re-did the Visual engine - it looks gorgeous even for being a little elderly.

so, Yes its a new game off the title in that it's had its visuals re-done and it's got new toys
                yes its an expansion that in the interface, nearly everything is the same + a couple extras

if you're holding out on getting it because you think it will be repetetive - take the chance and buy it, the american boats are pretty neat - you have that badass Diving Horn ;), and the campaign is fun :)

Edit : a short video of SH4 [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wfRCMv3sNo[/media]
                Last edited by stickyjeans69; 09-15-2008, 06:10 PM.

Comment

When BF2 came out, the thing I missed most from BF1942 was the sea warfare. I always loved to jump in the sub and go hunting for the enemy carrier.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Reminds me of the days of Silent Service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Service_(video_game)
                    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                      When BF2 came out, the thing I missed most from BF1942 was the sea warfare. I always loved to jump in the sub and go hunting for the enemy carrier.
                      Yep, BF1942 is what made me want to see a gaming suite come out that let people with the infantry (FPS) game, flight sim game, naval warfare sim game, or the RTS game (commanders) all play in the same online world. If the games were priced right and implemented flawlessly, it would be the mother of all games. Just think of the possible expansion packs: how about the tank commander expansion? Or the bombardier expansion? Don't forget the Anti Aircraft Artillery add-on! Or the crew served weapons pack! (who doesn't want an M2 or Mk19 in their game?)
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                        Yep, BF1942 is what made me want to see a gaming suite come out that let people with the infantry (FPS) game, flight sim game, naval warfare sim game, or the RTS game (commanders) all play in the same online world. If the games were priced right and implemented flawlessly, it would be the mother of all games. Just think of the possible expansion packs: how about the tank commander expansion? Or the bombardier expansion? Don't forget the Anti Aircraft Artillery add-on! Or the crew served weapons pack! (who doesn't want an M2 or Mk19 in their game?)
                        The problem is that naval and land warfare are intrinsically opposites, but most people just want tanks and soldiers. Best case, the guys on the boats get the blast the crap out of the land, who get to cry :)

I agree that such a game would be a blast, but Battlefield (every one) is just WAY too arcadey for that. ARMA was a good compromise, but again, most people just want the infantry aspect. I prefer the mixed arms aspect. If I wanted just infantry, I'd play Counter Strike.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
                          The problem is that naval and land warfare are intrinsically opposites, but most people just want tanks and soldiers. Best case, the guys on the boats get the blast the crap out of the land, who get to cry :)
                          Did you play BF1942? The ships were pretty fragile, and it wasn't too hard to blast one out of the water. See a plane coming in? Jump from the pilot's seat to an AA and hope you could knock them down. Meanwhile, if you're a destroyer, watch your sonar for that pesky sub so you can protect your carrier, or you lose an air base and much of your offensive capability.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

the only sub game I ever played was that hunt for red october one. It sucked. Big time.

You all almost make me want to play one. ALMOST. LOL. I have too many games right now.
                            "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                            Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                            " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD28NNtiGvw[/media]

in Silent hunter 3 - SHIP SPOTTED BEARING 035! - 5 seconds later the command to crash Dive ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2Yk5JomCnw

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KIl8-GADyE[/media]

How about now Skylark ;)
                              Last edited by stickyjeans69; 09-24-2008, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X