Best Path to take

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Path to take

Well, I have decided that the military is not the best option right now and Im now enrolled in college working towards my associates in criminal justice and then Ill transfer to a university to get my bachelors. I want to become a police officer but I dont know what is the best path to take out of these 3 options.

- Become a police officer when I turn 19 next year while im still in school
    (Also, If I do this, when I get my bachelors degree will I get a pay raise or will I have to get my bachelors before I send in my application to get a pay raise)

- Become a police officer when I finish my associates degree in 2 years

- Become a police officer when I finish my bachelors degree

Re: Best Path to take

Originally posted by |TG|Barrel Chest View Post
    - Become a police officer when I turn 19 next year while im still in school (Also, If I do this, when I get my bachelors degree will I get a pay raise or will I have to get my bachelors before I send in my application to get a pay raise)
    Personally, I'd take option 1. They'll help pay for your school most likely. These days you can take night classes or online classes. And the experience you'll gain in the pd from now until you graduate will be invaluable. At that point, I would assume you'd get more respect as a seasoned cop with a degree, than a rookie cop with a degree.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Is there anyting I can do to prepare?
      I was thinking of doing to citizens police academy and citizens on patrol to help me to get a step ahead. My colllege has a gym that I can work out at and Im also doing exercise and cardio at home so I am physically prepared

Comment

It's definitely smart to be physically prepared. One of my friends in the Air Force Reserves joined the SAPD last year and said the initial training was very physically demanding. He said it was kind of similar to military basic training. Lots of yelling and push-ups. Hehe. I don't think he did any other prep besides working out.

Honestly, as much as it'd feel better to go in prepared, it might honestly be best to go in without much prior training. This way, you're a clean slate that the PD can mold into what they want. I've learned in the past, that sometimes its easier to learn things when you know nothing about it to begin with, because otherwise you might be conflicted with contradictory knowledge.

I have a bunch of friends in the SAPD, but since I have never been law enforcement, I'm not sure how good my thoughts on this matter are. Hopefully some of our fellow TG LEO's can help out on this subject.

Comment

My brother earned his bachelors in criminal justice and then joined the force. After five or so years he left. Later he told me that his criminal justice degree really didn't do anything for him while an officer and actually made it more difficult to find a relevant job after he left.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by |TG|Barrel Chest View Post
            Well, I have decided that the military is not the best option right now and Im now enrolled in college working towards my associates in criminal justice and then Ill transfer to a university to get my bachelors. I want to become a police officer but I dont know what is the best path to take out of these 3 options.

- Become a police officer when I turn 19 next year while im still in school
            (Also, If I do this, when I get my bachelors degree will I get a pay raise or will I have to get my bachelors before I send in my application to get a pay raise)

- Become a police officer when I finish my associates degree in 2 years

- Become a police officer when I finish my bachelors degree
            Many police agencies won't even look at you unless you've got a 4 year degree or other experience (military or law enforcement). I would start applying as soon as you can, but not expect to be hired before you get a bachelor's degree...

Criminal justice is the easiest degree to get, but it's nearly useless for other jobs. Better to major in something more serious like accounting (greatly desired by all levels of LE), or more useful for another career path that interests you.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
              Many police agencies won't even look at you unless you've got a 4 year degree or other experience (military or law enforcement). I would start applying as soon as you can, but not expect to be hired before you get a bachelor's degree...

Criminal justice is the easiest degree to get, but it's nearly useless for other jobs. Better to major in something more serious like accounting (greatly desired by all levels of LE), or more useful for another career path that interests you.
              Ah! I didn't put 2 and 2 together! Most of my SAPD friends were my friends in the Air Force Reserves, so they had at least 4 years of military experience and veteran status before joining the police force. Good point, Cing.

Comment

Ask Cingy. :)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                  Many police agencies won't even look at you unless you've got a 4 year degree or other experience...
                  I want to point out that many Sheriff's Offices are the exception to this. The county Sheriff is often charged with running the county jail. Many SOs hire entry level jailers and then hire deputies from the jailer ranks. Other agencies that have entry level jail positions might do the same thing.
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Move to Appleton, Wisconsin and go to Fox Valley Technical College! Best law enforcement program in the country, so I've heard. The gentlemen who protect our President were trained there, I believe.
                    Young Man approached the black monolith that emitted a faint glow and humming noise, and it became clear to him that he should fire not where the alien ship is, but where it is going to be. -Magna Centipede

Comment

Originally posted by Atra View Post
                      Move to Appleton, Wisconsin and go to Fox Valley Technical College! Best law enforcement program in the country, so I've heard. The gentlemen who protect our President were trained there, I believe.
                      I'm not sure where you heard that, but this is from the current vacancy announcement for USSS Special Agents:
                      The selectee must successfully complete the 10 week Federal Law Enforcement Training Centerís (FLETC) Basic Criminal Investigator Training program and the 17 week Special Agent Basic Training program at the James J. Rowley Training Center in Laurel, Maryland. Failure to pass the training program on the first attempt will result in separation from the United States Secret Service.
                      http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/getjob....&TabNum=3&rc=3
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I currently can't find any credible information that says that it IS in fact the best school, I was just taking my teacher's word for it, I guess. But I assume that they can still come from FVTC school, and obtain further education at the FLETC..

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Cities Bottom of the page, but as we know Wiki is not quite a credible source...
                        Young Man approached the black monolith that emitted a faint glow and humming noise, and it became clear to him that he should fire not where the alien ship is, but where it is going to be. -Magna Centipede

Comment

Originally posted by Atra View Post
                          But I assume that they can still come from FVTC school, and obtain further education at the FLETC..
                          Well, sure. Federal agencies don't care where your degree comes from, though. You either have it or you don't and the vast bureaucracy that is the federal hiring process will not take into consideration any pedigree, either. FWIW, I've never even heard of that school. It sounds like just another community college...
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X