No announcement yet.

New To Tactical Games In General

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To Tactical Games In General

Before the beginning of this year I hadn't played any tactical games whatsoever, even though I probably liked them and didn't know.

People told me that I liked to play other action games like Half-Life and other action FPSs as if they were tactical games (I basically played through Crysis like it was Metal Gear), but until 2005 I only owned Nintendo hardware and just last year I got the first gaming-capable PC I've owned in over a decade.

So, I thought I might go to some people to figure out which tactical games I should try. So far I only briefly tried the singleplayer of some of the SOCOM games, G.R.A.W. 2 on the PS3 (I don't own an Xbox), both Vegas gams on PS3, and I own the Ghost Recon collection on Steam although I've only tried out the original Ghost Recon so far.

OG Ghost Recon is great except for the whole "one-hit death" thing. I'm stuck at the part in the first urban level right before the tank breaks in. I was thinking of getting Rainbow Six 3 by itself of Steam since the collection is on there now (doesn't have the older R6 games).

Is there anything else I should look at? S.W.A.T.? Operation Flashpoint? SOCOM Confrontation when that comes out?

Also some questions: I recognize that this is mainly a PC/Xbox-focused site, but anyone ever thought about including Metal Gear in the list of games talked about? It's got "Tactical" in the title and all the Metal Gear games since 3 have fit that description extremely well.

This also sounds like a long-shot, but since you're including RTSs on this site, anyone ever thought about throwing in Strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics? Then there's Advance Wars which is a lot like the RTSs you guys probably play only turn-based.
    Last edited by RedSwirl; 09-26-2008, 10:18 AM. Reason: Title

Re: New To Tactical Games In General

Welcome to TG!

I would suggest you look at Armed Assault (also called ARMA) as a possibility. It is about as far from your normal run and gun as you can get. It is considered more of a combat simulator than a game by some people. It has it's own forum here:

And you can actually find the game new in wrapper for about $5 on e-bay:

It does have it's share of bugs, and a very steep learning curve, but TG has a great community that is happy to help out new recruits. It would give you a good test of where on the spectrum of tactical shooters you rest.

Here are some random screen shots of mine:

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: New To Tactical Games In General

'i played through crysis like MGS" roflmao!!!!! nice one