acetaminophen vs ibuprofen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acetaminophen vs ibuprofen

This house hold has a jar of both of these pain pills and i get split decisions of which one i should take for injuries and sore. My mother is for acetaminophen and my dad is for ibuprofen. Since they don't have a reasonable explanation, i was wondering what some of the medically trained people here have to say.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: acetaminophen vs ibuprofen

To my knowledge, they're essentially the same thing. One is metabolized by the liver and the other by the kidneys, so if you've got some kind of organ problems, you might want to make a decision based on that. You're young, though, so I don't think it should be an issue. Ibuprofen is a slightly better anti-inflammatory agent, so for swelling, go with ibuprofen. Other than that, it really doesn't matter. Some people have negative reactions to one and not the other, but you won't know that until you take some. If you're really laying on the pills (like, well over the recommended dosage) I'd suggest switching between the two every so often. Other than that, its pretty much a toss-up.

For what its worth, I've got a large bottle of 500mg acetaminophen pills lying around.

edited for correctness.
    Last edited by Razcsak; 09-28-2008, 11:36 AM.
    I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

what I found...

acetaminophen is an antipyretic, whereas ibuprofen is an NSAID (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug....or just anti-inflammatory for short).

Antipyretic refers to the fever (pyre = fire = temperature) reducing properties of acetaminophen. That's how it provides its analgesic (pain relieving) effect on the body. It reduces fever and reduces the body's temperature. But it does not reduce inflammation, which is a big component of pain. It's an analgesic and an antipyretic, but not an anti-inflammatory. So most clinicians view acetaminophen as a weak analgesic.

Inflammation is a big part of pain...and NSAIDs reduce just that. NSAIDs such as ibuprofen work great for general body/muscle pain becuase they reduce the inflammation. But, NSAIDs are gastric irritants and can be harmful for people who have problems like ulcers or GERD (gastroesophogeal reflux disease). So that's the downside to the entire class of anti-inflammatories. That, and the fact that NSAIDs don't reduce fever. So if you have a high temperature, you'll need an antipyretic and not an anti-inflammatory.
      Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
        Ibuprofen is a slightly better antipyretic, so for fevers or swelling, go with ibuprofen. Other than that, it really doesn't matter.
        Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
        acetaminophen is an antipyretic, whereas ibuprofen is an NSAID (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug....or just anti-inflammatory for short).
        LOL!

The first two responses offer you superb evidence of why this is a question for your doctor and not an internet forum!

For what it's worth, I used to take ibuprofen for sore muscles or general body aches, and acetaminophen for headaches, but now I take ibu for inflammation and naproxen (Aleve) for everything else.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
          LOL!

The first two responses offer you superb evidence of why this is a question for your doctor and not an internet forum!

For what it's worth, I used to take ibuprofen for sore muscles or general body aches, and acetaminophen for headaches, but now I take ibu for inflammation and naproxen (Aleve) for everything else.
          Yeah, had a bit of a brain fart there. Catman is correct, and my post is edited to reflect that.

For a fun fact, the exact mechanism that acetaminophen operates on remains unknown. :)
          I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Catman is absolutely correct. They are far from being the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
              LOL!

What was so amusing about my post?

If I'm wrong, as opposed to laughing at me, why don't you correct me and point Nerd in the correct direction?
              Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Being a chronic back pain and aches associated from sufferer I talked with my doctor exactly about this a couple of months ago. I also have GERD.

NSAIDs (ibuprofen) are better for general aches and pains. They do affect fever but take longer to do so and usually don't reduce it as much. Aleve is basically the same thing as ibuprofen, another NSAID. There are other NSAIDs out there as well. They are generally less harsh for those that suffer GERD than Tylenol.

Tylenol acts on fever faster than ibuprofen. It also has a much longer history of use in children so it is more often recommended for children. It isn't as effective at inflammatory type pains.

But each person is different. Some will actually get more relief from Tylenol than ibuprofen. But not many.

All of them have to be used with care. They can all be abused and harm the body.

As cing said only a doctor can really recommend the correct thing for you.
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
                  What was so amusing about my post?

If I'm wrong, as opposed to laughing at me, why don't you correct me and point Nerd in the correct direction?
                  Lighten up, Francis!

If you read my post, you might have noticed that I quoted two contradictory posts in response to a medical question. Regardless of whether yours was correct, it goes to show that a gaming forum might not be the best place to get serious medical advice.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

My "friend" sometimes has too much to drink and the next day my "friend" has a headache. Reading these responces it appears that my "friend" would be better served with the Tylenol vs. ibuprofen? :row__593:

Comment

Or he might be better served with less alcohol. ;)
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I personally like ibuprofen cause it is also helps to reduce swelling. A lot of my headaches I get are usually caused by .......... never mind that but it helps a lot with my headaches not to mention other pains and swelling a lot better than acetaminophen.
                        I just can't get over how many people rush out and buy name brand drugs such as Tylenol and Motrin and most store generics have the same exact ingredients.

I also love Goody's headache powder when I know it is something that ibuprofen will not help out to quickly. Wondrous stuff and I swear by it.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
                          My "friend" sometimes has too much to drink and the next day my "friend" has a headache. Reading these responces it appears that my "friend" would be better served with the Tylenol vs. ibuprofen? :row__593:
                          Tell your "friend" that he can avoid most hangovers by drinking lots of water and eating about 4 or five antacids before going to bed. And take the Ibuprofen before going to bed also.
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                            Catman is absolutely correct. They are far from being the same thing.
                            For general analgesia in low doses, I have rarely noticed a difference in pain relief.

Comment

An english muffin (butter and honey), 24oz of water, 4 TUMS, and one Aleve before bed keeps me from being a grumpy DB the morning after :)

... so I've heard anyway ;)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X