itunes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• itunes

Hey, had a question about itunes. I was reading an article about the spore copyright.

EA has likened the system to the limits imposed on songs bought through Apple's iTunes store (though in the case of iTunes, users can easily manage their libraries by specifying which computers are authorized to play their purchased content).
    What are the limits through itunes?
    I had bought my music from walmart.com, but it was wma files. You could only burn it 10 times (not a problem), but when I had to reinstall windows... I lost all my permissions. I was thinking about doing itunes because someone told me they only sold mp3s, which have no such limit.

So can anyone give me some data here?
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Re: itunes

Itunes is Awesome, its my Only source of Music and when people put it down I just kinda chuckle and say whatever. if Apple has done ONE great thing - Itunes was it here's how Itunes works

Create an Itunes account you can pay with Credit or Debit *you make it after downloading Itunes through Apple's Site *Itunes.com, Once you have your account just start Buying music as much as you like. Itunes Plus is only 99 Cents now for every song instead of the 1.25 it used to cost what Itunes Plus is, it's DRM Free MP3's You can use them for ANYTHING. the Non Itunes Plus songs are Standard MP3's but the deal is they're locked to Itunes and Your system, if you wanted to use it in say Sony Vegas you have to use a work around but its an easy work around.

Computer Limits - You get 5 computers "Per year" as long as you dont forget every time you wipe your hard drive to De-certify your computer you will keep that five, if you're like me and forget every so often to De-certify Itunes before wiping the drive and re-installing Once a year Apple will allow you to click a button in your Itunes account that Will remove the Certificates for All 5 computers Itunes thinks you're using and that 5 Computer Limit is Right back working for you with no computers Activated *if you're using it to get more then five at a time Itunes checks to make sure your certificate is valid when you have an internet connection, but that's understandable*.

as for the work around on DRM Music for personal videos and the likes Just burn the songs through Itunes to a Music CD, Then put the CD in your drive and Put the songs into your my documents folder the DRM Left when you burnt the CD, Don't use this for Piracy though I don't endorse that sort of thing since Musicians always work hard to make music and they dont Usually make much untill they reach Superstardom like ACDC LL CoolJ or Michael Jackson.

Enjoy Itunes, Windows Media Can't come close to it. I remember hearing Apple say they where better at Lifestyle Computing - I'll give apple the benefit of the doubt because if Music is this easy Pictures and whatnot are probably pretty easy too. When it comes to the average person looking to do LOTS of thigns with a PC like me though. Windows Beats Apple out, add Itunes to the equation and you're still as good as a mac Plus Windows lol Win Win.

Edit- The MP3's Have no limit on number of burns so have fun, However you ONLY get to download them Once so make sure you backup your music and you're fine, Or keep the music on the CD you burned it to and put it back into Itunes if you do, I'd assume you have a Backup hard drive or DVD or something I keep my Music Library in DVD's and copy over 10 gigz when I re-install * I have a fairly small music collection, just the Artist I like.*

Comment

You said you bought songs from WalMart so definitely check out this link soon. Saw it on digg today.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...not_answer.php

Comment

iTunes sells all of its music in a proprietary format, .a4u or something like that. It is NOT cross compatible with other devices besides the iPod, and songs have a limit of being burned or activated 5 times. Because of Windows reinstalls, backups, and hardware upgrades, we're on our last activation for our music right now, although I've heard there's a way to roll back the number of used activations.

I think it's a fairly awful system, because my wife had bought a couple of hundred songs on iTunes for her iPod... of course, when I got my Zune, I couldn't listen to any of the music on it. I buy all of my music from Amazon's mp3 store, which sells it's music DRM free. Granted, it doesn't have as big of a selection as iTunes, but at least I don't have to worry about music locking up on me, or not working on portable devices.
        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Aw.. that's what I was looking for. i'll have to peek into amazon.com
          "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
          Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
          " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

I also have bought most of my music from Itunes, and don't have a mp3 player. I have always been holding out for the Iphone, and now I am waiting for my current contract to be up so I can get the Iphone cheap.

But my wife got a cheap creative player for christmas, and it wouldn't play any of Itunes stuff I had bought (though I think there are some hacks you can do).

Then I found amazon.com music store and bought a couple gift cards for my wife so she could fill up her player. I just download the songs and add them to Itunes. I haven't looked at the Plus stuff from apple, but maybe I should. I have also found some cool songs on Amazon that apple didn't have, so they are worth a look when you need some new music. I found a really cool remix from M.I.A.'s song Paper Planes.

It is the song I used here:

[media]http://vimeo.com/834636[/media]

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The way around DRM is to burn your music to a CD and then re-import it. Which is a pretty terrible way... and there's utilities out there that would be able to convert the proprietary format over (I'm sure). For purchased music, it annoyed me too (and still does) that I have to authorize computers. That's why I don't buy anything off the iTunes store since those two CDs I bought.

I just buy the CDs and import, and set the format to 320k MP3.

Also, you CAN reset the authorization count, but it can only be done once ANNUALLY. I did it before when I had crashed computers (can't very well De-Auth a dead computer now can you?)
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

You can also pay an extra dollar on itunes for most songs and they download DRM free.

Comment

maybe you didnt read my post Itunes plus is only 99 cents, i dont know where you got an extra dollar from Ferris, as before they lowered it to the price of the standard Itunes songs it was only 25 cents more.

"and songs have a limit of being burned or activated 5 times. Because of Windows reinstalls, backups, and hardware upgrades, we're on our last activation for our music right now, although I've heard there's a way to roll back the number of used activations."

Evo, Go into the Store tab of the pull down menu then select De-authorize computer enter your username and password and like magic you have a new activation even if that fails and you screw up once in a while from re-installs you can still import all your music and then once a year like spulat was saying you can go into your user account and get ALL 5 of those activations back essentially you can do as many computer authorisations as you want a year, as long as you DE AUTHORISE the computer before you re-install everything

You can burn songs as many times as you darned please
                  Last edited by stickyjeans69; 09-29-2008, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Well, yesterday I just bought my FIRST iPod. Yeah, I know. I'm like fifty years late to the game. I bought a 120gb Classic. I installed iTunes, and then the Amazon mp3 downloader. I listen to mostly obscure music. Lots of indie stuff. I was pleasantly surprised to find 99.9% of what I was looking for at Amazon. Downloaded over 50 songs last night and only needed to go to iTunes for 1 of them. Amazon's setup is SO much better than iTunes imo. And a lot cheaper too. I bought Bob Marley's album, Exodus, for $1.99! Lots of albums for cheap. Some songs were $0.99 and some were $0.89. You can even buy tons of songs for 5 Pepsi points each.

The kicker? DRM-FREE, baby! No need to fool around with re-authorizing crap. I can do what I please with these songs. Back them up onto all my computers, several drives, whatever. NO restrictions.

And don't you fret, iTunes lovers. As soon as you purchase the song, it automatically exports it into iTunes and your iPod, and even comes with the appropriate album art. Songs come in 256k formats.

Amazon FTW!
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I don't like iTunes. Here's why.

1. No Linux support. I am a Linux user. I only use Windows for gaming-related purposes (Currently gaming and making a movie with Sony Vegas). People have tried to get it to work with WINE (an emulator, but not), but still, Apple isn't very friendly towards Linux.

2. I don't use an iPod. I don't see why you would really want one. They are overpriced and crippled with DRM, and iTunes will only work with iPods. I use a Sanddisk Sansa. A two gig Sansa cost me $65. The 2gig iPod doesn't have a screen. When I bought my Sansa, the cheapest iPod was over a hundred bucks.

3. The DRM. I am all for artist rights and all, but if I pay for my music, I should do whatever I want with it. I want to control my music, not a company interested only in profit. My Sansa has no such DRM restrictions.

While I have not used Amazon's service, I hear great things about it. It is Linux-friendly, cheaper than iTunes sometimes, and no DRM.
                      Waldo II

Comment

I use and love winamp. Does everything I need it to, and a bit more I don't. Pretty much the same interface as Itunes. If I can find a plugin to make it use the remote that came with my X-Fi, I would be even happier!

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
                          I use and love winamp. Does everything I need it to, and a bit more I don't. Pretty much the same interface as Itunes. If I can find a plugin to make it use the remote that came with my X-Fi, I would be even happier!
                          I use WinAmp as well. It's my favorite media player. The one thing I DO like about iTunes is that when I plug the iPod in, it automatically synchs up and adds whatever mp3's I've added or removed since the last time.

I'm also a fan of the Sansa mp3 player as well, but I think they're better for exercising and stuff. Woot had a 1gb sansa the other day for only $6.99! As much as I wanted an iPod alternative, like a Zune, nothing out there seemed to come close to the 120gb capacity of the iPod classic. The largest Zune I could find around here was 80gb, and it wasn't much cheaper. I actually do need all the space, since I'm on the road all the time and it'd be great to have all my mp3's on 1 device. I have around 100gb of mp3's at home. Now I can put them all on my iPod!

My friend just told me about an iTunes alternative for your iPod called "Mediamonkey." Does anyone here have any experience with it? Apparently it's SO much better than iTunes.
                          http://www.mediamonkey.com/
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediamonkey

Comment

Yep, have a 4 GB Sansa from Woot, and bought it specifically for exercising/bike riding. I wouldn't want my MP3 player syncing every time I plugged it in, there's a lot of stuff that I don't want on my player simply because I know I'd never listen to it on the go.

Ipod has a very strong hold on the market. If you want anything over like 20 GB, it seems like the best way to go is Apple. I got a Creative Zen 60 GB about this time last year, granted it was cheaper than an Ipod, its a whole lot clunkier, and the screen is a lot smaller and not as nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
                              I wouldn't want my MP3 player syncing every time I plugged it in, there's a lot of stuff that I don't want on my player simply because I know I'd never listen to it on the go.
                              It actually only does that if you set it up to do so. You can also tell it what to leave off the synch list. But at the same time, I've always loved the simplicity of a cheap flash based player where you just drag and drop the files you want into the drive.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X