Choices for gun purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choices for gun purchase

I am looking for a .40 cal compact handgun. The reason for .40 cal is that we have whole containers full of nice .40 ammo. I've narrowed it down to the Glock 27, Springfield XD subcompact 3", and the Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact.

I think that I have held the Glock 27 (not sure because it was mixed in with others), but I have not yet seen or held the other two. I'm leaning toward the Springfield, mostly because of the loaded chamber indicator and grip safety. I like the general look of the Beretta.. it looks like it would be more comfortable to carry concealed. I'm really not all that interested in the Glock, to be honest.

It will mostly be to keep in my car, but I do plan to occasionally carry it concealed into the grocery store or movie theatre. Depending on how I generally feel about doing it, I may start carrying it more often than that or even almost all the time (minus when on campus).

I currently own a .22 pistol, but it stays in a kitchen cabinet downstairs in case there's an intruder. That's on top of my dad's Glock that stays inside, a SIG that he keeps in his truck, and his Kel-Tec Sub2000, which I really like.

Does anyone have any experience with those models or know of something similar that I didn't see?

Re: Choices for gun purchase

I've heard lots of good on the Springfield XD series.

If you are going to carry, carry always, except where legally prohibited. Won't you feel the fool to reach for an empty space?

Comment

Rifleman Magazine LOVES the XD.
      Skud

Comment

The Springfield XD is said to "out-glock the Glock". Everyone loves the XD. I've not shot one personally, but have read enough good things about them that I would recommend them.

I've seen too many Berettas fail to ever want one for myself, but it's a good company.

You won't go wrong with a Glock, but, again, I'll never own one. The grip is too big and square. I can't stand the way it feels in my hand.

I think that .40 is a fine choice of caliber, especially if you already have ammo.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I have a Beretta and have never had any issues with it and have put a few thousand rounds through it. Though mine is the 92F which is a totally different gun.

For CC I highly recomend a revolver though. For reliability and ease of use. If you change your mind and your cal. then I would highly recomend a S&W J frame revolver.

Hammerless so it does not get caught on your clothes when drawing from a pocket.
          http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

or

The hammer version (my fav of the 2, I like the hammer control)
          http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

You can get either in the store for around $670-700. Given that you just want it for your car only then perhaps you can go with something a little larger such as the models you mention above. All are fine firearms and what it will come down to IMO is which feels the best in your hands in the store. You need to feel comfortable with it, so my advice if you are set in stone with the .40 is to go and handle each and base your decision off that.

Good luck!
          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I personally have the Springfield XD-40 3". I LOVE this gun. It's unbelievably easy to operate and field strip. I bought it a couple months ago and have put about 1000 rounds through it. Not one jam. I carry it on me when traveling. To me, it's perfectly balanced. I decided on the Springfield over the Glock after shooting the 2 side by side. My buddy had both, and loved the XD so much, he made me try the 2 to see for myself. There are many great guns out there and I'm not going to bad mouth any of them, but if you go with the XD, I can pretty much guarantee you won't regret it.

Here's a video showing how to field strip the XD...
            [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7A9_Kh8bag[/media]
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post

Does anyone have any experience with those models or know of something similar that I didn't see?
              AK-47 the very best there is, when you absolutely, positively have to kill every mother___ker!! In the room, accept no substitutes!!!!!!!!!!! (said in the voice of samuel l. jackson.)
              Last edited by Delta*RandyShugart*; 09-29-2008, 07:58 PM.
              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
              Level I HazMat Technician
              NYS EMT-B
              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                I personally have the Springfield XD-40 3". I LOVE this gun. It's unbelievably easy to operate and field strip. I bought it a couple months ago and have put about 1000 rounds through it. Not one jam. I carry it on me when traveling. To me, it's perfectly balanced. I decided on the Springfield over the Glock after shooting the 2 side by side. My buddy had both, and loved the XD so much, he made me try the 2 to see for myself. There are many great guns out there and I'm not going to bad mouth any of them, but if you go with the XD, I can pretty much guarantee you won't regret it.
                Awesome! I'm going to go take a look at it today or tomorrow, then. Thanks for the review!

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                If you are going to carry, carry always, except where legally prohibited. Won't you feel the fool to reach for an empty space?
                You know, I probably will end up carrying all the time within a couple of years. But I think I would like to warm up to the idea by carrying just in certain places. Part of the reason for my wanting to do that might be because I'm just 21.

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                AK-47 the very best there is, when you absolutely, positively have to kill every mother___ker!! In the room, accept no substitutes!!!!!!!!!!! (said in the voice of samuel l. jackson.
                lol!!!

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
                For CC I highly recomend a revolver though....
                Thanks for the suggestion. I just can't really see myself with a revolver. I like the better safety features, higher capacity, and fast reload of an auto.

Comment

I expect a revolver would add some thickness, particularly at .40, that a semi would avoid, making for better concealed carry.

Also, did you have a look at the Khar models? They offer some small and smooth consealed carry pieces. My only complaint is I can't grip it properly because it is so small.

Comment

grips aren't really a big issue anymore..... when i owned my pistols(sold for RL issues) but i had always gona to a gun smith and had them custom the handles for me.... in my opinion the ONLY way to get the gun to fit you. plus a lot of the companies are giving

a few different choices on grip now Adas because its just that big of a issue with the customer... i myself am in the process of looking for a handgun but not one to carry every day and or conceal lol its gona be for DEER HUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

looking right now at the .44 Super Redhawk Magnum :) :) and going to have a 2x7 mounted on it also wit a laser grip grip :) for dum dare close ones :)....

but yes listen to the guys here, man military and or X military and if anyone should know about guns its those guys. and like they have said in one way or another

LOOKS DON'T COUNT-----ITS THE FEEL OF THE WEAPON IN YOUR HAND that should be the deciding factor..... a 40 WILL have enough stopping power for just about anything you come up against,,, i just hate those snub nose buzzards....

LOL the Super Redhawk has a 10 and 3/4 barrel on it :P :P :P

but looks like a sweet weapon for what your gona do with it bro,,, just make sure it fits you ( Your Grip ) and like i said even that can still be modified to fit ya .
                    Last edited by Cappy; 09-29-2008, 10:35 PM.

Comment

The J frames are super small. The reason I suggest the revolver is for reliability and it is super small and lightweight. The other factors you mentioned are all true though. Again, it comes down to person preferances.

For my normal non carry pistols, both are semis (Beretta 92F in 9mm and Sig 226 in 357sig). I enjoy both by far over the small revolver but neither work well for CC.
                      Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                        I expect a revolver would add some thickness, particularly at .40, that a semi would avoid, making for better concealed carry.

Also, did you have a look at the Khar models? They offer some small and smooth consealed carry pieces. My only complaint is I can't grip it properly because it is so small.
                        I haven't heard of them before. Their 3" model is quite a bit more expensive than the Springfield model, though, and it doesn't look like it has the trigger & grip safeties, which I really like.

I held the Springfield tonight at a Bass Pro Shop and I really liked the feel of it. It comes with a flush 9 rd mag and a 13 (..might have been 15, not sure) round mag with a grip extension on the bottom. I'm going to see if the local gun range has one that I can rent and try out. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it soon. I'll update it I do. Thanks for the help!

Comment

For a first time purchase or anytime purchase:

Glock 27 or look into a Glock 19

/Thread

With that said, I no longer own any Glocks....
                          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

The XD came out a few years after the Khar's recent series premiered so that wasn't a competitor at the time. It seems the XD line has blown everything out of the water, which is good. I just thought the Khar was worth a mention.

Comment

I like the XD service model "4, looks really nice. I am 6' 5" and in which I have pretty good size hands, I just think holding a gun smaller than 4" would be uncomfortable.
                              A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X