Good basic economic theory book.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good basic economic theory book.

I am looking for a good book that covers the basics of economic theory.

I don't want a book that shows how to save or invest or anything concrete. Just the basics of economic theory.

Would be nice if it was readable. The couple I have tried to read where boring, boring boring.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Good basic economic theory book.

I would highly recomend this book here by Thomas Sowell.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith. :)
      "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
      He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
        The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith. :)
        I have that and de tocqueville ordered but I need at least $6.50 more to qualify for free shipping. Figure I would get a modern take on the basics as well.
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
          I would highly recomend this book here by Thomas Sowell.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
          Thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

Whoops, looks like I posted to the 2nd edition. Here is a link to the 3rd which is latest. He has a wide range of other books also on Economics.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Economic...2887455&sr=8-2

Here is his website.
            http://www.tsowell.com/
            Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Cant reccomend a good book but i can reccomend using amazon!
              I saved like a couple hundred bucks on my textbooks by going there and buying used

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_in_One_Lesson

You can read it online here:

http://jim.com/econ/
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I was looking through the BBCode help for how to use the list feature and discovered there's an Amazon tag to create referral links that give credit to TG:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#amazon

Here's an example for "Basic Economics 3rd Ed: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy (Hardcover) by Thomas Sowell (Author)":

[amazon]0465002609[/amazon]

This looks like this:

Order from Amazon.com
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Got Adam Smith and De Tocqueville. I know "Democracy In America" isn't exactly a economics books but I figure I should understand early America to understand the embrace of the market as all knowing God of man.

For a more modern Take I got "New Ideas from Dead Economists: An Introduction to Modern Economic Thought" Only read the first chapter that covers, what else, Adam Smiths "Wealth of Nations". So far pretty good. Also covers Marx, Keynes, Friedman, Mill among others.

I have also read the first couple chapters of Wealth of Nations and it is wordy to say the least. Luckily the version I have condenses several paragraphs into a couple of sentences each. Still fun to read the original text. I guess with reading being a major form of entertainment wordy was good.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X