Ford introduces car-limiting MyKey for worried parents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford introduces car-limiting MyKey for worried parents

I have some mixed feelings, and am kind of torn about this new offer from Ford. But I still figured a bunch of you out in TG land would be interested in this. I don't have any kids, but I know some of you do.

What Ford developed is a kind of kiddie safety lock for their car as an option so that when a parent buys a car and decides to let their kid drive it, the car will sense that it is the kid and limit certain things the car can do, like the speed to 80mph and the radio to 44% volume.

Pretty interesting stuff, considering when I first started driving my volume was at 100% most of the time, and my 1st speeding ticket was at 81mph in a 55 zone.

But now that I am a "bit" older, I could see where a lot of parents would jump at the chance for something like this. I'm not sure though why the speed is limited all the way at 80. I'm thinking 65max would have been chosen. :row__517:

What do you guys think?

Link:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Ford introduces car-limiting MyKey for worried parents

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
    I have some mixed feelings, and am kind of torn about this new offer from Ford. But I still figured a bunch of you out in TG land would be interested in this. I don't have any kids, but I know some of you do.

What Ford developed is a kind of kiddie safety lock for their car as an option so that when a parent buys a car and decides to let their kid drive it, the car will sense that it is the kid and limit certain things the car can do, like the speed to 80mph and the radio to 44% volume.

Pretty interesting stuff, considering when I first started driving my volume was at 100% most of the time, and my 1st speeding ticket was at 81mph in a 55 zone.

But now that I am a "bit" older, I could see where a lot of parents would jump at the chance for something like this. I'm not sure though why the speed is limited all the way at 80. I'm thinking 65max would have been chosen. :row__517:

What do you guys think?

Link:

I like the idea.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I don't have kids either, so my view would be different than many I am sure.

I like the idea as something you could turn on and off, depending on what key you use.

Second, I would ask for two keys for my teen (one good boy key, one bad boy key. lol) Why punish the kid before they do something bad. They get the good key until they get a ticket and or other responsibility issue comes up. But then again, I would make them pay their ticket, pay any insurance increases because of the ticket, and if they got another one, it's by by car.

Limit their cell phone and texting before you limit these other minor issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloedig View Post
        I don't have kids either, so my view would be different than many I am sure.

I like the idea as something you could turn on and off, depending on what key you use.

Second, I would ask for two keys for my teen (one good boy key, one bad boy key. lol) Why punish the kid before they do something bad. They get the good key until they get a ticket and or other responsibility issue comes up. But then again, I would make them pay their ticket, pay any insurance increases because of the ticket, and if they got another one, it's by by car.

Limit their cell phone and texting before you limit these other minor issues.
        It isn't punishment. It is trying to keep them alive.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Is there ever a legitimate reason to go over 80 mph? Is there ever a legitimate reason for the volume to be over 44%? If not, don't get the unlimited key in the first place.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Simple answer for the 80 mph thing: Interstates. Ever driven on the beltway in DC? Going 55 is likely to get you killed.

Comment

Yea I-95 and the Turnpike in the Miami area are the same, 65 is way too slow. Not the Palmetto though! :D

I take that back 95 is just as bad as the palmetto come rush hour...

Comment

I'm about to step up to the wheel myself, and I really don't have a problem with this. Yes, the beltway in DC can be scary, (quite frankly, I'm slightly dreading that) but due to traffic and the tractor trailer accidents that happen every day, the opportunities to go 80 or beyond are far and few between. Obviously my view is from the passenger seat, but watching watching the speed in which you are traveling is something to do when bored.

Comment

I actually just moved from living so close to the DC beltway that I could throw a rock and hit cars, and it is not necessary to go 80. I drove it every day going pretty much anywhere, including work and the grocery store. The speed limit is 55, and I spent many many many days doing 5-10 mph or less. Yes, I think you need to be able to go over 55, but 65 is more than enough. It would keep your kid in the slower lanes, and more likely to make it home alive every night.

Check out how close I was:
                  http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...=UTF8&t=h&z=16

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

How about limiting all cars in this way? Make it a manufacturing requirement for sale in the US, or at least to get a registration for road use.

You can work radio volume thing into a noise test. Something like if I can hear your car from 50 feet with the radio all the way up and the engine idling and no one in it, it's too loud, and not allowed on the road.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

While I agree that there is such a thing as TOO loud (i.e. the cars that register 150+dB), I dont really agree with limiting the radio. I work anywhere between 12 and 36 hours at a time. When I get off work, I'm beat tired. Sometimes having the radio at full blast is the only thing that keeps me alert enough to make the trip home.

Comment

60 feels like I'm walking. 70+ is my range.

Comment

I guess I'm no longer an aggressive driver. I always allow extra time to get where I need to get. So, these days I rarely go above 65, unless its to pass someone. I just drove around DC last week. I did fine going 60-65. Sure people were passing me, but it wasn't a dangerous situation. I stayed in the right lane. There were other people going my speed in the lane with me. People who were going faster were in the other lanes. I drive up and down I-95 fairly often between school and home. There, I generally pick a truck going about 65 and draft behind it. One thing's for sure. I save a lot of money on gas, and I feel much more relaxed when driving. I bet my car's engine appreciates it too.

Comment

Why is everyone now a days so quick to do what is "safe" and toss freedoms out the window? Post 911 is a sad place for the American ideal.

And as for reasons to have radio over 44% or whatever it is, heck yeah. Ford stock radio may need to be to 75% just to hear. lol

As for 80 plus? Yes, interstates (most 75 mph speed limit in my state) and some of us use our street cars to race at the local track, so no speed limiters please (170 artificial limit on the Audi is crap IMHO).

Comment

Did you read the article? lol What does 9/11 have to do with this thread?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X