Blu-Ray player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blu-Ray player

Now that prices are starting to fall what is a good Blu-Ray player? I have been holding off until the prices drop and that seem to be happing. I thought the PS3 might be the best but I have learned that it doesn't do surround sound like 5.1, etc. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Re: Blu-Ray player

The PS3 is still an inexpensive Blu-ray player and I don't know where you got your information that it doesn't have surround sound. It outputs 5.1 using HDMI or optical cables.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Get the PS3. It DOES do all forms of surround. I use DTS on it regularly. When it first came out, it didn't have DTS-HD support, but now it does. When doing your setup on it, you'll be amazed at how many formats it supports. Trust me, if your receiver has the decoders, the PS3 will support it. Also, as an added bonus it plays DivX and Xvid video files beautifully! The upscaling is better than my old DivX player. It also makes your old DVD's look fantastic. The wi-fi will connect to your network and you can stream movies, mp3's, and photos straight off your main computer!

Oh yeah, it plays games too! The multimedia capabilities alone truly make the PS3 a worthy buy, even if you never end up playing a single game on it. I LOVE mine.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Get the PS3 if your interested in the other things it can do.(gaming/multimedia)

If you only care about bluray then check out Circuit City next week. Samsung 1500 will be on sale for $249 and you get the Ultimate Matrix Collection($80 value) for free. That player is 1.1 stock and upgradeable now to 2.0 through a firmware upgrade. From what I understand its a solid player. Hard to beat that deal imo.
        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Exactly my thought. When I buy a HDTV, I'm probably going to get a PS3 too. I'll shop around though first. Thanks Mantis for the Circuit City tip.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
            The PS3 is still an inexpensive Blu-ray player and I don't know where you got your information that it doesn't have surround sound. It outputs 5.1 using HDMI or optical cables.
            The speakers that have HDMI and SPDIF inputs aren't exactly inexpensive, so if your current set doesn't have either of these inputs and you want to experience 5.1 surround sound from your PS3, you might want to consider a new set.

As for the price of BR players/drives, they're still grossly more expensive than a quality brand-name DVD drive. Newegg has players selling for $150-300 while DVD drives are about 1/10 of the cost of a BR drive.

I'm waiting for those drives (at least the playback ones) to drop below $100. Then I'll put it on my shortlist.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Looking for a BD player?

The PS3 is the best bang for your bucks. You get to watch blu-rays AND play video games. It also has BDLive which is a feature (on certain BD player) (like Sony's BDPS350) that enables your BD player to connect to the internet and automatically download, in form of firmwares, updates and features to enhance your Blu-Ray experience...

Apart from the PS3, I would stick with a Sony(BDPS350 being a decent one) or Panasonic brand. I sell these things all day long. And so far, Sony and Panasonic are the best quality of BD players I've seen out there. They have a better quality, and packs more features.

I would avoid Sharp as BD player....the player makes so much grain on the screen its horrible.

And yes...you do get 5.1 (and even 7.1 as its the new current-gen technology for high definition movie playback) with either an HDMI cable or optic. But as soon as you plug in with an HDMI cable, all other sound outputs (exemple: optic) turns off to send the sound signal through the HDMI only, thus loosing less sound quality.

If you have any questions, just send me a PM

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
              The BigC

Comment

Originally posted by Xmaster View Post
                But as soon as you plug in with an HDMI cable, all other sound outputs (exemple: optic) turns off to send the sound signal through the HDMI only, thus loosing less sound quality.
                Actually not true at all any more. That used to be an issue until one of the firmware updates done in the last year or so. My audio receiver is pretty old so it only has optical in. So I have video only going to my tv, with the audio going through the optical to my receiver and it works just fine and dandy. Get the DTS experience just fine. I just don't have DTS-HD since it's so old.
                "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                  Actually not true at all any more. That used to be an issue until one of the firmware updates done in the last year or so. My audio receiver is pretty old so it only has optical in. So I have video only going to my tv, with the audio going through the optical to my receiver and it works just fine and dandy. Get the DTS experience just fine. I just don't have DTS-HD since it's so old.
                  Oh well good to know.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
                  The BigC

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    The speakers that have HDMI and SPDIF inputs aren't exactly inexpensive, so if your current set doesn't have either of these inputs and you want to experience 5.1 surround sound from your PS3, you might want to consider a new set.
                    Speakers with HDMI inputs? You mean receiver, right? You can buy just about any quality speaker to attach to any quality receiver to attach via HDMI to your PS3/BluRay. Speakers are the same price whether you're using HDMI or RCA to connect your player to your reciever...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      Speakers with HDMI inputs? You mean receiver, right? You can buy just about any quality speaker to attach to any quality receiver to attach via HDMI to your PS3/BluRay. Speakers are the same price whether you're using HDMI or RCA to connect your player to your reciever...
                      Sorry receivers, I was thinking of the 5.1 and 7.1 sets that included the receivers and the cheapest set I saw was $180 and only had 1 HDMI input and no SPDIF input.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        Sorry receivers, I was thinking of the 5.1 and 7.1 sets that included the receivers and the cheapest set I saw was $180 and only had 1 HDMI input and no SPDIF input.
                        Oh, man, cheap receivers simply aren't worth spending money on... I bought a cheap set when my receiver went TU last year and it was just a complete waste of money.

If you want a good receiver that will last you years, this is what I finally got to replace my receiver: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120109

If you must go cheap, at least stick with a brand that you know you can trust:
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...404&name=Onkyo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...15&name=Yamaha

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882121044
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

As far as "cheap receivers" go, my dad bought a $100 one (came with 5.1 satellites). Very bulky but very lightweight (suspiciously so). It promises 48-bit dolby digital decoding, 192 khz, blah blah blah. Been using it off and on for the past year and haven't had any problems.

It replaced a ancient Sony receiver from 1989. I don't remember any HDMI inputs, but there might have been one or two SPDIF ins.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My buddy bought a new LCD 2 months ago at bestbuy, and got talked into a Samsung surround sound system to go along with it. He already had a PS3, which from what little time I have spent playing with it now know I need to get one as well. But back to the surround, he needed help setting it up, so I went over. Start looking at the back of the dvd player/receiver, and there is only one set of inputs, and they are just RCA red and white. I couldn't believe it. So now he is stuck with just just stereo sound for his blue-ray movies. Inputs are so so important.

also, this was just posted a few mins ago on gizmodo

Dealzmodo: Samsung Blu-Ray Player to Hit $149 on Black Friday

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

That's worth waiting for. Nice find.
                              The Old Guy
                              kin3
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse