No announcement yet.

Black Silicon Discovery Could Change Digital Photography, Night Vision Forever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Silicon Discovery Could Change Digital Photography, Night Vision Forever

This sounds like awesome news, and I hope they can roll it over into actual product improvements, as the article says will be pretty easy.

Black Silicon Discovery Could Change Digital Photography, Night Vision Forever

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Black Silicon Discovery Could Change Digital Photography, Night Vision Forever

Something to keep an eye out for in future tech.

Thanks for posting this up, my inner geek is pleased... :row__582:

~ Draken

Comment

Re: Black Silicon Discovery Could Change Digital Photography, Night Vision Forever

Haha
      I like how he was successful by throwing in a random ingredient

Comment

From the comments, I'm wondering if this is another "cold fusion", where the researchers are misinterpreting what they're seeing.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
          From the comments, I'm wondering if this is another "cold fusion", where the researchers are misinterpreting what they're seeing.
          From what I understood, it's created (relatively) tall microscopic spikes all over the surface, thereby dramatically increasing surface area. The spikes trap light nearly completely. I can see how this would dramatically improve solar cell efficiency.

Comment

The comments indicate that the process is destructive to the wafer and would create a lot more defects, reducing yield.

Most of the gain is reported to be in the IR band, not visible light, so will probably not give much for solar cells, which are already close to maximum yield from all photons hitting the surface. (Again, this from the comments, which I have no basis to evaluate.)

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

For scratchmonkey and other folks that want to read more, Slashdot.com has it posted, and the egg heads there have a very deep discussion going.

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?.../10/12/1620212

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                For scratchmonkey and other folks that want to read more, Slashdot.com has it posted, and the egg heads there have a very deep discussion going.

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?.../10/12/1620212
                Cool. First post on slashdot:

It's African-American Silicon, you insensitive clods!
                ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

ROFL. Which politician's wife was it that went on a mission to Africa and referred to the locals with that appellation?

Comment

An anchor for CNN referred to some French black people as African Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
                      From what I understood, it's created (relatively) tall microscopic spikes all over the surface, thereby dramatically increasing surface area. The spikes trap light nearly completely. I can see how this would dramatically improve solar cell efficiency.
                      To expand, similar to the way a stack of razor blades will appear black or the way spiked foam panels absorb sound waves without reflecting them.

Seems like this has some serious potential to bring some truly effective night vision appliances to the consumer market. I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                        An anchor for CNN referred to some French black people as African Americans.
                        Oh no..Say it ain't so... Can I call you Joe? LoL!!
                        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...