NFL turning into "two hand touch"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL turning into "two hand touch"?

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Troy Polamalu wishes someone would put the football back into the National Football League.

Polamalu, unhappy with the increasing number of fines for what he says are nefarious infractions that weren’t penalized, is complaining the over-the-top enforcement of contact-related rules is taking away what makes the sport so popular.

“It’s becoming more and more flag football, two-hand touch,” said Polamalu, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ four-time Pro Bowl safety. “We’ve really lost the essence of what real American football is about. They’re not really concerned about safety, because people have been doing this for … quite a few decades.”

The NFL, concerned the ever-increasing size and strength of players may be heightening the risk of serious injuries, is strictly enforcing all contact rules, especially those involving quarterbacks and helmet-to-helmet hits.
    ADVERTISEMENT

In a Sept. 17 letter to players, the NFL emphasized it would monitor “illegal and dangerous hits” in an effort to protect players.

Polamalu believes the restrictive rule enforcement might be making defensive players hesitant because they are worried a routine tackle will result in a major fine.

“You’ve got to figure out how to tackle people a new way. … It’s too much,” he said.

Polamalu also wonders if physical players who once starred in the league, such as Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, Mean Joe Greene, Ronnie Lott and Jack Tatum, could play in the NFL today.

“These guys really went after people,” said Polamalu, who has not been fined this season but has been in the past. “They were that way because the game was physical. Now, they couldn’t survive in this type of game. They wouldn’t have enough money. They’d be paying fines all the time, and then they’d be suspended for the year after they do it two games in a row. It’s kind of ridiculous.”

Polamalu said the only people who welcome all the fines are “quarterbacks and the front office.” However, the NFL does not profit from the fines, which are donated to charity.

Among recent fines, Cardinals strong safety Adrian Wilson was fined $25,000 for a hit that left Buffalo quarterback Trent Edwards with a concussion, and Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers was fined $10,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan.

Jets safety Eric Smith was suspended for one game and fined $50,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin that the league called a flagrant violation of player safety rules.

Polamalu isn’t defending those hits, but rather the routine plays that are drawing fines even if there are no penalties or apparent rules violations.

The Steelers believe the $15,000 fines levied against wide receiver Hines Ward for non-penalized infractions on successive weeks were unwarranted, and team chairman Dan Rooney and coach Mike Tomlin contacted the league about them this week.

Polamalu is normally one of the NFL’s most intense players on the field and softest-spoken off it, but he sounded like outspoken former teammate Joey Porter, now of the Dolphins, or Lambert when he questioned the NFL’s intent.

Lambert, the Hall of Fame linebacker from the 1970s and 1980s, once said the NFL should put skirts on quarterbacks so defensive players would know not to tackle them.

“It’s just the essence of what NFL football is,” Polamalu said. “You don’t want to get into a sport that loses the core mentality. It’s like playing basketball and, `Oh, you can’t body somebody up. You can’t touch them. You can only play defense from a foot out.’ It takes away from the real athleticism of the sport. … football loses its identity.”

Polamalu also doesn’t defend players who take cheap shots.

“I didn’t mean being cheap, but (those who) don’t take anything from anybody,” Polamalu said. “Know what I mean? Joe Greene wouldn’t take anything from anybody. Joey Porter wouldn’t. When people came to our field, they knew this was our home field. Nobody was going to mess with us. … That’s the type of attitude I think is really awesome.”
    I think Troy has a very valid point and I think the NFL is becoming a two hand touch kind of league. Can't hit the QB too hard these days or you will get fined whether you were flagged on the play or not.

I also think this article has a lot of validity because it is coming from one of the classiest and dominant players in the league that isn't known for opening his mouth without knowing what he is talking about.

Here are the hits that are described in the article of recent fines that have been levied to players

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53fHB-13Vpc[/media]

This is as clean a hit as you can get in football from a player coming clean full blast! If anyone should be fined it should be the O-line for missing the block not A. Wilson!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWDA67sdfPg[/media]

I think the fine and one game suspension was a fair penalty. Smith obviously led with his head and not only injured Bolden but knocked himself out also. If he would have just led with his shoulder then it is a clean hit.

Well those two are the only ones I can find so any football fans want to give their thoughts about this trend the NFL is starting? Thoughts
    sigpic

Re: NFL turning into "two hand touch"?

I agree so much. They are trying to "fix" football but are doing it the wrong way. How about we get rid of the felons and problem players. Seriously it seems every team has 1 or 5 players who need to be in court on monday or something stupid.

And i agree with your assessment of joe.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Heres what i think:
      When your playing with people 6 foot 3 that weigh 250 your TAKING A RISK
      You shouldnt get fined for that stuff
      Although, I dont follow football so i could be wrong
      Besides arent you supposed to hit with those HUMONGOUS pads on your shoulders?
      if not then why are we even wearing them?

And side note:
      Ouch!! :D

Comment

On my local news tonight, I believe (if I followed the story correctly) Troy has been fined for what he said in the above mentioned quotes. Just the icing on the cake. I couldn't agree with u guys more though, I think this is getting out of hand. Eric Smith's hit was, of course, deserving of the fine. But the Adrian Wilson hit is a really good legal (in my eyes) hit. No helmet to helmet or any apparent attempt to hurt the other player.
        sigpic
        I'm Back.

Comment

I think it is a clear case of the NFL protecting quarterbacks and wide receivers. Those positions are the high dollar spots and those are the guys who take the hard shots. If the NFL was interested in the safety of ALL the players they would do other things but all they want to do is protect QBs and WRs. It is such a joke
          sigpic

Comment

The only football I've watched in the last year is Australian. It sucks less. American football is like a crappy 1700's army combat. No one marches ranks into a face-off anymore.

Comment

I agree they are trying to stop all these inguries that are inevitable when ppl collide
              |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

I'm all for physical football, but there are limits to what is a hard hit and what is a stupid hit..

The first video is no different then some of the facemasking calls I see. Your hand goes near the mask, the flag goes out whether it mattered or not in the play, same goes for high hits of that nature. Was he trying to hurt Edwards? didn't look like it, but there is also no reason the hit couldn't have been lower. This one is a bit iffy, but rules are rules and the rules state defenders need to steer clear of hits to the head that could be avoided. Sorry, but there is no situation where you should be going after an opponent's head.

The second hit however was a dirty hit and he also should have been suspended. Who the hell leads with his head in making a tackle? That's how people get hurt, you are taught from pee-wee football on never to lead with the helmet for a tackle. Leading with the helmet is called spearing and is a penalty. Just because the officials missed it, doesn't mean fines and suspensions shouldn't be handed out. All that defender needed to do was to lead with his shoulder instead of his head and that would have been a perfectly legitimate hit and nothing else is said besides "sorry Boldin got hurt".

Want to know why these rules are in the game? Because it's a different legal landscape then it was 25+ years ago and the NFL owners need to be looking like they are doing something for their players. Articles like these tend to agree with wanting to limit hits to the head..

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/31/sp...ncussions.html

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ns-cover_N.htm

Since the players don't really want to give more of their salary towards taking care of retired players medical issues, and the league doesnt want to give more money directly to this issue or put themselves in a position legally where a lawyer could point out that the league didn't try and protect players in any possible means necessary and thus they owe a player compensation for having recurring problems from concussions, we have a different game then we did 30 years ago. Of course back then you didnt get a concussion, you just got your bell rung and stayed out on the field. Nobody cared back then if 20 years down the road you cant remember what car you were driving, or where you left your keys, or if you forgot your childrens names because of the hits to the head you took. Of course, if you are insinuating that you dont care about the player's continuing health issues while they play and after they retire from playing that stem from hits to the head that's a whole different issue then whether or not they should wear skirts....

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                  I agree so much. They are trying to "fix" football but are doing it the wrong way. How about we get rid of the felons and problem players. Seriously it seems every team has 1 or 5 players who need to be in court on monday or something stupid.

And i agree with your assessment of joe.
                  I agree.

Make the personal fouls for a team more like basketball, add five yards to each penalty after a team has three personal fouls and so on.
                  The Old Guy
                  kin3
                  sigpic

Comment

The first video is no different then some of the facemasking calls I see. Your hand goes near the mask, the flag goes out whether it mattered or not in the play, same goes for high hits of that nature. Was he trying to hurt Edwards? didn't look like it, but there is also no reason the hit couldn't have been lower. This one is a bit iffy, but rules are rules and the rules state defenders need to steer clear of hits to the head that could be avoided. Sorry, but there is no situation where you should be going after an opponent's head.
                    That hit Adrian Wilson put on Trent Edwards was as clean a hit in football as you can get!! There is no "iffy" about it. You are taught early in football to hit QBs hard to get them to start hearing foot steps, to get them to be more afraid of getting hit than trying to make a completion. You say rules are rules, well Wilson wasn't flagged on the play so where was the rules violation? It wasn't helmet to helmet, he led with his shoulder and blew Edwards up clean as can be but yet the NFL fines him. I can tell you for a fact that if Edwards wasn't knocked out of the game Wilson would have never been fined. The only reason they fined him was cause Edwards got a concussion!! Which is a freakin joke in my opinion.

Want to know why these rules are in the game? Because it's a different legal landscape then it was 25+ years ago and the NFL owners need to be looking like they are doing something for their players. Articles like these tend to agree with wanting to limit hits to the head..
                    This statement is incorrect in my opinion, it has nothing to do with legalities, it has everything to do with money. This is not coming from the owners except them complaining when their star QB that they are paying $10-$20 million dollars to gets knocked out for a few games. They are only trying to protect CERTAIN players and not ALL of the players. How hypocritical can the NFL be when it shows highlights of some of the very hits that they fined the player for on their highlights?

Since the players don't really want to give more of their salary towards taking care of retired players medical issues, and the league doesnt want to give more money directly to this issue or put themselves in a position legally where a lawyer could point out that the league didn't try and protect players in any possible means necessary and thus they owe a player compensation for having recurring problems from concussions, we have a different game then we did 30 years ago. Of course back then you didnt get a concussion, you just got your bell rung and stayed out on the field. Nobody cared back then if 20 years down the road you cant remember what car you were driving, or where you left your keys, or if you forgot your childrens names because of the hits to the head you took. Of course, if you are insinuating that you dont care about the player's continuing health issues while they play and after they retire from playing that stem from hits to the head that's a whole different issue then whether or not they should wear skirts....
                    Hey I am all for the protecting players but if they are going to protect players it needs to be ALL the players not just certain positions. Also it isn't the current players place to give money to retired players, an NFL players pay is not guaranteed, the only portion of their contract that is guaranteed is their signing bonus so why should the players have to support the retired players? Do you have to support retired workers from your company? No it is your employer who does that and that is the NFL and it's owners not the players!!!

Nobody wants to see guys get hurt but everyone who plays football and loves the sport understands that people get hurt. It is a physical game played by some of the most talented athletes in the world!! It is too fast a game to have to think to much and if a player thinks to much on the football field, guess what they are going to get blasted and probably hurt!!
                    sigpic

Comment

This was a tense moment last night

Ike Hilliard went down like a ragdoll after a helmet to helmet san'wich.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMVwtK0rv6o[/media]

A hit like that you can't hold the resulting fumble against him.

No flag - but I bet there was a fine.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
                        This was a tense moment last night

Ike Hilliard went down like a ragdoll after a helmet to helmet san'wich.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMVwtK0rv6o[/media]

A hit like that you can't hold the resulting fumble against him.

No flag - but I bet there was a fine.
                        Yeah I agree but he was able to walk to the cart under his own power which was great to see. Ike has had some vertebrae fused so it was definitely scary.

Yeah it looks like he did lead with his helmet and will probably get fined and suspended one game like Smith did with the Jets on the Anquon Boldin hit.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
                          That hit Adrian Wilson put on Trent Edwards was as clean a hit in football as you can get!! There is no "iffy" about it. You are taught early in football to hit QBs hard to get them to start hearing foot steps, to get them to be more afraid of getting hit than trying to make a completion. You say rules are rules, well Wilson wasn't flagged on the play so where was the rules violation? It wasn't helmet to helmet, he led with his shoulder and blew Edwards up clean as can be but yet the NFL fines him. I can tell you for a fact that if Edwards wasn't knocked out of the game Wilson would have never been fined. The only reason they fined him was cause Edwards got a concussion!! Which is a freakin joke in my opinion.
                          The shot to Edwards wasn't blatant, but it was against the rules by hitting someone in the head. Whether or not the officials call it means nothing about when fines are handed down. You flat out dont hit people in the head, of course that seems to be a form of coddling QB's but it isn't just about QB's. He could have easily brought that hit down lower and it would have been no harm, no foul, but he didn't. Why argue about something the player could have choosen to do within the current rules, but didnt?

This statement is incorrect in my opinion, it has nothing to do with legalities, it has everything to do with money. This is not coming from the owners except them complaining when their star QB that they are paying $10-$20 million dollars to gets knocked out for a few games. They are only trying to protect CERTAIN players and not ALL of the players. How hypocritical can the NFL be when it shows highlights of some of the very hits that they fined the player for on their highlights?
                          Sure they care about that, but that isnt the only issue here. http://johnnypnews.com/Retired%20Pla...he%20NFLPA.htm Then we can talk about how the NFL only controlls what replays are shown on the NFL network. The broadcasters don't work for the NFL, they pay for the rights to broadcast the games and they will show replays of whatever they want, that's part of what they pay 1 billion a year for the right to do.

Hey I am all for the protecting players but if they are going to protect players it needs to be ALL the players not just certain positions. Also it isn't the current players place to give money to retired players, an NFL players pay is not guaranteed, the only portion of their contract that is guaranteed is their signing bonus so why should the players have to support the retired players? Do you have to support retired workers from your company? No it is your employer who does that and that is the NFL and it's owners not the players!!!
                          I'm not even sure how to start with this. The players give a percentage of their contracts to the NFLPA pension fund. Obviously if they get cut they dont have to continue paying their percentage. I'm pretty sure I support retired co-workers, it's called social security. Plus retired players have no medical insurance plans, they pay those out of pocket, how about you or me?

Nobody wants to see guys get hurt but everyone who plays football and loves the sport understands that people get hurt. It is a physical game played by some of the most talented athletes in the world!! It is too fast a game to have to think to much and if a player thinks to much on the football field, guess what they are going to get blasted and probably hurt!!
                          No doubt, that's why they make rules and coaches teach players what those rules are so they dont have to "think" about them, and just play a good clean game. Of course mistakes get made and people break the rules, that's life. As for it being only protecting QB's, what about the penalty for hands to the face? What about penalties for illegal blocks especially when discussing cut blocking? I would think if what you suppose is true, and they only care about the QB's they would allow the old cut-blocking style where I engage a defender and you come in and cut him. Remember the Bronco teams of the 90's being accused of being dirty because that was a big part of their blocking schemes? Guess what? rules change, you live with them or move on. The NFL is a huge business, bringing in something along the lines of 2-4 billion a year in revenue. How much revenue do you think would be coming in if we were watching mostly backup's play because all the starters were hurt. If you dont like the fact that the owners want to protect their investment, that's fine, but I think that would qualify as hypocracy coming from you unless you never protected your investments which I am sure you do. I guess we can both sit here and wish things were like they were back in the 1970's, but that doesn't change anything, does it?

Comment

The shot to Edwards wasn't blatant, but it was against the rules by hitting someone in the head. Whether or not the officials call it means nothing about when fines are handed down. You flat out dont hit people in the head, of course that seems to be a form of coddling QB's but it isn't just about QB's. He could have easily brought that hit down lower and it would have been no harm, no foul, but he didn't. Why argue about something the player could have choosen to do within the current rules, but didnt?
                            WRONG! Wilson wasn't fined for a helmet to helmet hit. He was fined for unnecessary roughness which is a freakin joke!!! Again I say if Edwards doesn't get knocked out of the game there is no fine which is complete BS.

Sure they care about that, but that isnt the only issue here. http://johnnypnews.com/Retired%20Pla...he%20NFLPA.htm Then we can talk about how the NFL only controlls what replays are shown on the NFL network. The broadcasters don't work for the NFL, they pay for the rights to broadcast the games and they will show replays of whatever they want, that's part of what they pay 1 billion a year for the right to do.
                            NFLPA is the union for the players and I agree whole heartedly that the players from the old days need financial help for the sacrifices that they made for the game. But the NFL as a whole needs to address this issue not just the players and the union. Owners are making HUGE profits right along with the players and that is all due to the greats from days past. Don't be surprised that the NFL will have a strike in the very near future due to issues like this. The NFL has a TON of money sitting in investment accounts that they don't want to dip into to take care of these old players. But I also think that the older players need to keep their expectations realistic. I disagree with what Joe Jacoby said in his quote
                            "It wouldn't be beneficial," he said. "I would get about $1,400 to $1,500 a month. What can I do with that?"
                            That is still a pretty decent sum of money that a lot of people wish they could have coming in on a monthly basis. Oh and social security is government based through a tax on your earnings and NFL players pay that just like we do but you are asking players to give more of their money above and beyond.

What about penalties for illegal blocks especially when discussing cut blocking? I would think if what you suppose is true, and they only care about the QB's they would allow the old cut-blocking style where I engage a defender and you come in and cut him. Remember the Bronco teams of the 90's being accused of being dirty because that was a big part of their blocking schemes?
                            Cut blocks are legal you are talking about chop blocks. Chop blocks are illegal and I say quite the opposite, if the NFL truly cared for the safety of ALL players they would take the "cut" block out and make it a penalty. This isn't just about protecting QBs they are protecting just the high profile position players and not ALL players.

The NFL is a huge business, bringing in something along the lines of 2-4 billion a year in revenue. How much revenue do you think would be coming in if we were watching mostly backup's play because all the starters were hurt.
                            Exactly so why doesn't the NFL take care of the old timers instead of insisting the players have too? If your figures are even close then there is plenty of money to help those guys

If you dont like the fact that the owners want to protect their investment, that's fine, but I think that would qualify as hypocracy coming from you unless you never protected your investments which I am sure you do. I guess we can both sit here and wish things were like they were back in the 1970's, but that doesn't change anything, does it?
                            I don't like the fact they are taking away the very foundation of what this game is built upon. It is a fast and very physical game and if you take those factors out then you will lose the very foundation of the game and it will become unwatchable. I don't necessarily want the game to be like it was in the 70's or even 80's but I don't like to see clean football plays and good football players penalized for good football plays
                            sigpic

Comment

Hines Ward showed up again Sunday. I believe this was on the first drive. Massive hit. Last I heard, Rivers broke his jaw and is out for a while. Ask almost any veteran defender in the NFL, when you play the Steelers, you have to have your head on a swivel. Especially cornerbacks which are usually the targets of his blocks. I view this just like I would Boxing or UFC fights: NFL players know what they are getting into when they step onto the field. Hits like these just come with the game...emotions are high, adrenaline is rushing. They know that there is a chance that they won't be able to walk off the field. It's definitely unfortunate, but it wouldn't be football if it was anything different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCsDdIWvx3o

Disclaimer: I am not in any form or fashion condoning cheap shots. Players with the intent to injure other players should be punished severely. In my opinion, Hines Ward is not this type of player. After one hit, I saw on TV one time, he immediately starting waving for the sidelines for the opposing teams medical team...while the play was still going on.
                              sigpic
                              I'm Back.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...