No announcement yet.

Need Direction for recent Grad: Interaction/WEB Design - Industrial Engineering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Direction for recent Grad: Interaction/WEB Design - Industrial Engineering

Are there any Interaction/ User centered Designers out there? I recently graduated with a degree in product design and just not finding any full time positions. It is just not really going the way I have planned. So I was looking into something to build off that degree and focuses on user centered design, and wondering if anyone does something like this.

I have looked into interface design and that has intrigued me. Have been looking for some resources to teach myself CSS, HTML, and Java but have not really found anything. Can anyone recommend a book or site that would be good for teaching yourself? Also does anyone know how the market for junior level staffing is? I would really hate to take the time to learn these languages and run into a similar situation. Also the thought of developing another portfolio does not really get me excited as I have already put so much work into my current one. The other area I have looked into is industrial Engineering, which is kinda of a whole different direction but still contains some of the same basic principles. However this would probably require me to go back to school. Which I do not necessary mind, it is just spending more money. I am not sure how much of a need there is for this market either.

The third option I suppose is going down another direction. I have considered Electrical Engineering as Engineers never seem to have a problem getting a job. And this area somewhat interests me, however it would not really use much of my current degree, and I am really looking for something to build off that.

So ya any words of wisdom would be helpful.

Re: Need Direction for recent Grad: Interaction/WEB Design - Industrial Engineering

You are correct..Engineer usually have very little problem with finding a job.

We are currently in need of a ME with a specialty knowledge of hydraulics..the guy we have is a moron who much have done some serious fibbing on his resume. I know the owner has made some in-roads as to finding someone else, but there seems to be no one around that does not already have a great job with another company.

I suggest, if you can, getting an ME or maybe Petroleum type of engineering degree asap..there are LOTs of jobs open, and no one to fill them, at least around here with the Oil/Gas boom thing going on.
    There are just pee-on simple labor type grunt jobs around the rigs and with the service companies that are starting at $25/hour around here...and they work all they can till they drop and then keep a going..

Comment

Re: Need Direction for recent Grad: Interaction/WEB Design - Industrial Engineering

Human technology interaction is a very big subject. It goes from software to washing machines to fighter jets and it requires a good bit of study. There are also many names for it which shows that there isn't a single discipline. The designers I met had little to no understanding of the gut of programming. And you really don't need it, you just need to understand it's limitations and capabilities.

An Electrical Engineering degree is more marketable. More industries understand the value of an EE. Most don't really understand the value of a technology interface designer. Just go look at the all the interfaces out there if you don't believe me. They, for the most part, suck. An exception to this is the military and their contractors. They have learned to really respect this aspect of engineering. Most their stuff has to be "soldier" or "sailor" proof. That takes talent.

I do think it is becoming more sought after as the world globalizes and as competition increases. Sometimes the only thing that differentiates one 52" screen tv from another is the ease of use.

So I don't recommend putting any effort into learning css/java or any programing technology unless you want to learn it. If many the courses you are taking focuses on those things then you are not learning industrial design, you are learning programming. And most programmers (myself included) suck at design.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I'd say you'd find a good market for either ME or EE. I'm in my 4th out of 5 years for Civil right now, and the job market seems decent enough. From what I learned about IE, it doesn't seem as if there would be as large of a market for it as there are for other engineering types.

My friend just graduated from BU this past spring majoring in Bio-Medical Engineering, and still hasn't been able to find a job. So, some niche markets of engineering are a bit hard to break into. With EE or ME, I'd say you could find a job easily in most parts of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
          Human technology interaction is a very big subject. It goes from software to washing machines to fighter jets and it requires a good bit of study. There are also many names for it which shows that there isn't a single discipline. The designers I met had little to no understanding of the gut of programming. And you really don't need it, you just need to understand it's limitations and capabilities.
          Well I have done two years of studying programming so I have an understanding of the workings/processes. But from the little bit of poking around I have done the majority of interface design is in WEB design. There are other interaction jobs but they either fall under product design or are not really junior level. Anyways all the web interaction design stuff I see calls for knowledge of CSS and HTML. That or example portfolios of system architecture, to show your thought process of laying out an environment for the user. And the only real why I can see of showing that is by making a website. I suppose I can just cheat and user something such as Dreamweaver...but I have a feeling I'll get frustrated by some of the limitations of the program and want to do some hand coding.

And it is good to hear from everyone that the ME EE market is booming, I suppose that can be my fall back. An ME degree would actually apply to mine, as I fight...I mean work with MEs pretty frequently to discuss product concept viability. So having an engineering perspective can always be helpful. Yet ME does not really interest me, Basic manufacturing processes and mechanical systems is about as deep into it as I care to go. EE is much more appealing for some reason to me.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTalon View Post
            Well I have done two years of studying programming so I have an understanding of the workings/processes. But from the little bit of poking around I have done the majority of interface design is in WEB design. There are other interaction jobs but they either fall under product design or are not really junior level. Anyways all the web interaction design stuff I see calls for knowledge of CSS and HTML. That or example portfolios of system architecture, to show your thought process of laying out an environment for the user. And the only real why I can see of showing that is by making a website. I suppose I can just cheat and user something such as Dreamweaver...but I have a feeling I'll get frustrated by some of the limitations of the program and want to do some hand coding.
            Which is my point. There are not very many true "human" interface designers out their. Most are programmers that also design the interface.

This explains why much computer software simply sucks. This is changing. Apple has often hired true designers for their software and hardware products. Generally their stuff is much better than the rest of the worlds because they use true designers and not coders doing design work.

A real designer doesn't need any programming language or CSS or even something like Dreamweaver. They design and the developers implement.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Ya and that is exactly what I love doing and am good at, analyzing the environment and needs of users and creating designs that fit those needs. Getting rid of frustration, errors, and all those other things that make people not want to use a interface. But I also do not have the luxury of waiting around till more companies can support a pure design team to work along side their engineers and programmers. They would rather just hire 1 person that can do both decently (or even not even decent) then a designer and an engineer.

Funny enough all the companies that I have designed for and have an in house design team (Cuisinart, Dentek, Ridgid, Ryobi, Home Depot) are stealing huge shares of the market due to their well thought out products. And from all the stories I have heard of companies downsizing, it is the engineers that are getting fired and yet none of the designers get fired. So it makes me wonder a bit why a lot more companies have not taken a bit more of a an investment in design as it seems most of the companies that have done so reap the benefits.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X