Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FarCry2 will have ingame ads like Battlefield 2142?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FarCry2 will have ingame ads like Battlefield 2142?

This never stopped me from buying 2142, but I thought some of you might be interested in the "Disclosure Statement" in the back of the FarCry2 manual.

This game incorporates technology of Massive Incorporated ("Massive") that enables in-game advertising, and the display of other similar in-game objects, which are uploaded temporarily to your personal computer or game console and replaced during online game play. As part of this process, Massive may collect your Internet protocol address and other basic anonymous information, and will use this information for the general purposes of transmitting and measuring in-game advertising. Massive does not store or use any of this information for the purpose of discovering your personal identity. For additional details regarding Massive's in-game advertising practices, and to understand your options with respect to in-game advertising and data collection, please see Massive's privacy policy at http://www.massiveincorporated.com/s...rk/privacy.htm. The trademarks and copyrighted material contained in all in-game advertising are the property of the respective owners. Portions of this produce are c 2007 Massive Incorporated. All rights reserved.
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Re: FarCry2 will have ingame ads like Battlefield 2142?

I like ingame adverts, lets me know what's on at the movies this weekend !

Comment

For those who don't or haven't played BF2142 before, the adverts really aren't a big deal. I hardly notice them. Though seeing the Eagle Eye billboards covered in snow got a bit redundant.

Comment

Don't know if it's related, but AVG did pop up a detected Trojan virus when installing Far Cry. I quarantined it and the game played fine.

Also, yes the ads in 2142 are not intrusive and honestly I hardly ever even notice them.

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

betcha a nickle you can't vape the bill boards.

Comment

Of course not. Billboards are really much sturdier than you would think....
            "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
            -- Red Forman

Comment

I have not seen any in-game adverts yet. I have only seen 1 billboard so far near a bus stop and if the artistry on it was advertisement for a real company then it was very well blended in to the environment.

Comment

I dont mind in gam adverts too much
                Although i like more than 2 companies
                I remember this racing game which had only 2 companies adverts
                Burger king, and axe :D
                LAWL

Comment

I posted this in another thread, but this is an unfortunate situation people are way too casual about. While the impact of the in-game advertising may not bother you, it's the principle of the matter you need to be concerned with.

Simply, this says two things. The first is that this is clearly a secondary source of income for the publisher which they aren't passing on to the customer. In effect, you are paying for the game twice. Seeing as how you're paying $50 for the full game (which frankly is an absurd amount given how short and shallow games are these days), they are therefore saying that the game is worth MORE than $50, and they'll exact payment on you by taxing you with advertising.

The second issue is support. The presence or lack thereof of advertising directly gives publishers justification to support or not support a game post-release. By putting ads in they are effectively saying that games without ads are not going to get patches or customer support (which they're under no obligation to provide anyway).

A responsible publisher who didn't have their head seated so far up their own ass they were finding impacted corn kernels (say, Stardock) would say that this in-game advertising was paying for additional support in the form of free new missions, however neither EA nor Ubisoft has ever revealed any kind of reason to tolerate this harassment, and even such I would find such a claim dubious - after all, 2142 has been out for how many years, and it's received only ONE official map, as well as enduring an arduously slow and rather lackluster patching process.

I will never buy a game with in-game advertising. 2142 is the only exception given I wasn't aware of it when I bought it (as the ads weren't even working on release). I quit Planetside the same patch they added ads in. I don't see movies in theaters because I'm sick of paying $15-20 and having to watch 30 minutes of advertising at 'showtime'.

For everything else? Avast me hearties, yo ho!

Comment

Pretty much the same opinion as Uranium stated except all I was going to say is that they should require you to pay less if they're going to put in ads... Don't care if I find them annoying or not they shouldnt be able to manipulate their customers like that but sadly this is something that comes along with capitalism and monopolies.
                    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Actually it doesn't have much to do with monopolies, just how irritatingly inept and apathetic the human race is.

Think of it as the uncanny valley. Whether you have a monopoly or not, it's just big businesses trying to find a away to get you right at the brink of the valley where any more bull**** will cause sales collapses. Clearly advertising in-game didn't push the consumer sheep over this edge, so soon it'll be something more. Paying monthly for single-player games, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by RedForman View Post
                        Of course not. Billboards are really much sturdier than you would think....
                        I've sort of idly wondered how much thermite it would take to cut one off at the knees. I've also wondered if, having used thermite to precisely burn through the supports, you could then use the billboard as a massive toboggan.

Comment

This ingame advertising BS needs to stop.
                          I play games for personal enjoyment, not to become a mass media casualty.

POE2 Developer

Comment

I have yet to see any advertisements. Perhaps they didn't implement it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Aranykai View Post
                              I have yet to see any advertisements. Perhaps they didn't implement it yet?
                              Probably not, It seems like it took a few weeks after release before we started seeing in game ads.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X