Need work-at-home advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need work-at-home advice

I need to find a way to supplement our single-income while staying at home as I put my kids through 5th and 6th grades.

I would like to hear ideas, advice, warnings and recommendations from anyone who has looked for or done work from home. I know there are crowdsourcing sites and a lot of scammy work from home type pyramid schemes and other shady business.

I also know some people make a real go of it and are able to bring in an extra $500-$1000 per month without too much hassle or initial outpay.

At this point, I would find any critical comments about my choice to homeschool instead of work, criticisms of others' ideas, or any non-constructive comments quite inconsiderate. I need help, ideas and open minds right now.

My strengths are earth sciences, water resources, natural resource management, technical writing, editing, GIS/mapping, finding patterns, problem-solving, innovation, product development and group facilitation.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Axis of Eeevil; 10-24-2008, 05:54 PM.
    sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Re: Need work-at-home advice

I am in the same boat as you, but without the homeschooling..which might become a reality for us int he future.

I need a way as well to help out so that my wife who is semi-disabled can help contribute.

Comment

I know sugar usta do the whole shop at home deal. She would take the orders when people would call in to order stuff off of QVC. She would do that on the weekends when she had time. Might be worth looking into .
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

I work in medicine and we have some employees that work from home.

Medical billing (this can be a bit "Scammy" as you put it so be careful to pick reputiable companies)

Medical transcription:

You have some Kaiser Perm up in your area see what they have.

Sarcoma
        Sarcoma.

Comment

I have been pulling in $500 a month for the last two years doing this
          http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/632935/

It takes a very good credit score, discipline and a lot of prep work, but once it's going it take about 15 min a month to maintain. The credit markets are drying up so it maybe be a little harder.

Comment

You might want to look at mystery shopping. If you're going to be out shopping, you can cram in some mystery shops for a few extra bucks. It's not a lot a month unless you dedicate a lot of time to it but it's a nice way to get some extra money from something you may already be doing.

It's also like doing a mission. You have a briefing and you go undercover to evaluate the store. Then you write a report (not that hard) on the mission. Most of the time you don't have to buy anything. Sounds dorky but it can be fun. :P

- It's who you game with.

Comment

MSN had a few had a few at home job sites in an article maybe about a year ago. Wish I could remember the sites to visit for all they had but one I can remember is http://www.westathome.com/ I heard it is tough to get a job from this company though if you live in what is considered a remote state. I know WV is considered a "remote state".

I have been trying to find a good reliable part time at home job as well to help make a little more money but seems like there are more scams than anything and I refuse to pay to go to work as most places claim you need to do, you know for background checks and such.

Comment

Definitely be careful what you look at. There are a on of scams out there. I'm sure you know that if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

Do you have any experience in web development? I know a lot of people that do that type of work at home and on contract.

If you do land a contract make sure to keep everything in writing and buy a receipt book for billing. Make sure that you can track your hours and account for them. I used to do some contract design work and it takes a lot of discipline. The days of being able to trust someone on a handshake are unfortunately gone.
                Retired 6th DB

Comment

Axis, man, I need to talk to you more some time! You have almost exactly the same background I do. I majored in both a Eviro. Science Degree and a Natural Resource Mgmt. Degree.

You might think I'm joking at 1st, but I can think of 2 things.

1. Dumpster diving. I'm serious. I just moved from DC, and I was always pulling stuff out of my apt.'s dumpster, like old computers, stereo equipment, funiture, etc.
                  I needed to lighten my load a bit before I moved, and was just going to take everything to goodwill, but decided to post it on ebay and creigslist instead. I made like $400 in a week. And my wife who had been always getting pissed when I would bring home a new table or chairs was like "what the hell? you should have been doing this all along!"
                  For instance I found a bunch of boxes of old VHS tapes. Looked through them and there was a complete collection of some Time Life Video Collection of the origianl Star Trek, as well as a bunch of the old Outer limits show. Sold them both on ebay for a total of about $80, all for about an hours work (had to post them, pack them well, and ship to Alaska and NY.)
                  It would blow your mind how much stuff people throw away. I found out we were moving and had to pack quick, or I could have finished fixing the old computers up and either donated them for a tax credit or sold them for like $50, but ended up recycling them instead. The Ikea computer desk I am typing on right now came from my dumpster. The $500 kitchen table I have came out of the dumpster. It does have a scrach on the top, but who cares, that what table cloths are for. I could sand it down and refinish it and sell it, but I like the table.
                  And I like that I'm recycling things instead of it landing in a land fill.

2. Get a paying job as a blogger. A lot of major sites pay bloggers, and you can work from anywhere. Some of the major ones I look at everyday have a bunch of different theamed blogs, so you could maybe get in on one that you know a lot about.
                  http://lifehacker.com/
                  http://www.engadget.com/
                  Look along the sides of those 2 to see all the others in their group.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                    Axis, man, I need to talk to you more some time! You have almost exactly the same background I do. I majored in both a Eviro. Science Degree and a Natural Resource Mgmt. Degree.

You might think I'm joking at 1st, but I can think of 2 things.

1. Dumpster diving. I'm serious. I just moved from DC, and I was always pulling stuff out of my apt.'s dumpster, like old computers, stereo equipment, funiture, etc.
                    I needed to lighten my load a bit before I moved, and was just going to take everything to goodwill, but decided to post it on ebay and creigslist instead. I made like $400 in a week. And my wife who had been always getting pissed when I would bring home a new table or chairs was like "what the hell? you should have been doing this all along!"
                    For instance I found a bunch of boxes of old VHS tapes. Looked through them and there was a complete collection of some Time Life Video Collection of the origianl Star Trek, as well as a bunch of the old Outer limits show. Sold them both on ebay for a total of about $80, all for about an hours work (had to post them, pack them well, and ship to Alaska and NY.)
                    It would blow your mind how much stuff people throw away. I found out we were moving and had to pack quick, or I could have finished fixing the old computers up and either donated them for a tax credit or sold them for like $50, but ended up recycling them instead. The Ikea computer desk I am typing on right now came from my dumpster. The $500 kitchen table I have came out of the dumpster. It does have a scrach on the top, but who cares, that what table cloths are for. I could sand it down and refinish it and sell it, but I like the table.
                    And I like that I'm recycling things instead of it landing in a land fill.

2. Get a paying job as a blogger. A lot of major sites pay bloggers, and you can work from anywhere. Some of the major ones I look at everyday have a bunch of different theamed blogs, so you could maybe get in on one that you know a lot about.
                    http://lifehacker.com/
                    http://www.engadget.com/
                    Look along the sides of those 2 to see all the others in their group.

Good call on the Blogger. www.hackaday.com is usually looking for people.
                    Retired 6th DB

Comment

I'm applying for some tutoring (on-line) jobs. Granted - I have a master's in education, but this might be something doable elsewhere.

Additionally, if you are good in a subject, you could tutor students out of your home. Esp if you are good at high school math/science.
                      "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                      Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                      " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                        I have been pulling in $500 a month for the last two years doing this
                        http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/632935/

It takes a very good credit score, discipline and a lot of prep work, but once it's going it take about 15 min a month to maintain. The credit markets are drying up so it maybe be a little harder.
                        Ham, can you give some more detail on how this works? I've got great credit, but a quick glance at that site (don't have the time atm to read it all) didn't really reveal the process. Thanks!
                        "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
                        EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
                        PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Comment

you might want to check out www.guru.com

I've signed up but never bid on a job.
                          Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Banyan View Post
                            Ham, can you give some more detail on how this works? I've got great credit, but a quick glance at that site (don't have the time atm to read it all) didn't really reveal the process. Thanks!
                            Here is a basic explanation http://app-o-rama.com/
                            The devil is in the details though so you will have to read the entire thread.

Comment

Doonesbury is running a sub-story in which a major character loses his job as a newspaper reporter and takes up blogging instead.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X