No announcement yet.

Global Monopoly

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Monopoly

This has just started to be advertised in Britian, a new global monopoly set. I was very bored today and thought, I wounder where London has come, so hence the look up. We beat New York by 1 space woot. However looks like we all got beat by Montreal the new top spot. What a crazy world we live in.

Anyway I was flicking through the page and came along some facts that gave me a chuckle, thought I would post them.
    Did you know that:Monopoly

• Mr. Monopoly is the name of the MONOPOLY® man.

• George Parker issued a memo in 1936 that was to halt the productions of the MONOPOLY® game. He later withdrew the instruction and the rest is history!

• Parker Brothers rejected the MONOPOLY® game when it was first presented to them in 1933, citing 52 fundamental playing flaws.

• Over 5,120,000,000 little green houses have been “constructed” since the MONOPOLY® game was introduced in 1935.

• World records are maintained for the longest game in a treehouse (286) hours, nderground (100 hours), in a bathtub (99 hours) and upside-down (36 hours).

• The longest MONOPOLY® game ever played was 1,680 hours long. That is 70 straight days!

• Escape maps, compasses and files were inserted into MONOPOLY® game boards smuggled into POW camps inside Germany during World War II. Real money for escapees was slipped into the packs of MONOPOLY® money.

• In Cuba, the game had a strong following until Fidel Castro took power and ordered all known sets destroyed.

• Over 250 million sets of the MONOPOLY® game have been sold worldwide.
    I especially like the one about them being destroyed in Cuba anyone know why ?

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    Winston Churchill

Re: Global Monopoly

Castro is a nut and ordered all games destroyed, not just monopoly.
    Probably because of the capitalistic image portrayed.

POE2 Developer

Re: Global Monopoly

Really? Latvia has the second richest city?
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed