Car Shopping for some new Muscle - Advice Wanted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Shopping for some new Muscle - Advice Wanted

Well, I've racked up about 132,000 miles on my Mazda 3 and I've had it up to here with repairs this year. I've already put in a new transmission, a new clutch, new motormounts, a new thermostat, and now my catalytic converter is supposedly bad. So I'm going to sell old faithful and buy another car with lower miles.

Today, I went to Houston and test drove a Cadillac CTS-V (around 400hp with it's LS6 Vette motor) and absolutely loved it. That thing has some insane power. Tomorrow, I'm going to test out a Volvo S60-R (which is around 300hp and AWD) with a 6 speed manual. Two COMPLETELY different cars, but I do like both. I'm leaning toward the Cadillac because I work all over the State and am usually in podunk towns where only GM/Ford/Dodge dealerships are available and will probably need service done someday. However, the Volvo is around 6 grand cheaper, but there's no Volvo dealerships in the west texas desert except for maybe El Paso and Midland. That has me concerned.

Anybody have any experience with either of these cars? Anyone have any alternative recommendations? My main desires for my next car are (a) Manual Trans, (b) Roomy enough for me to pack my entire office into, which rules out the GTO :(, (c) Powerful, and (d) Rear-Wheel or All-Wheel Drive. I don't want another FWD car, personally. MPG is not an issue for me, so Prius's need not apply. :p
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Car Shopping for some new Muscle - Advice Wanted

Volvo=Ford, and Ford has effed up electrical wiring!

No experience with either car, but I do have experience with the LS seriers engine. It's is going to be a more efficient engine, get better MPG, and have more power. The Lsx series engines are some of the best engines out there.

Pick which ever one you like!
    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

So the LS6 engine should be pretty reliable then? I really need a trustworthy car for what I do for work.

Comment

Yes, yes, and well yes....

Simple OHV design, great engine management, and generally inexpensive maintenance.

This is all regarding the powertrain. I doubt you would have much problem with the rest of the car though.

Volvo's are nice cars, I like them. The electronics and powertrains can be complicated though...

In all likely hood you would have no problems with either car. You made a good point however regarding dealership/service. I am sure there is far more support for GM vehicles in Texas.

Just drive both and find out which one you could drive long distance in, but still be able to put a smile on your face when needed. That's what driving is all about, having fun and getting places.

Curious to see how you like the S60R
        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Your missing the most obvious......

If want you room to carry stuff, RELIABILITY like a horse, AWD and blow the soot off a donkeys back performance.....

Subaru Impreza STi

Not quite the same level of BHP (305BHP) .... but will probably be around 20-60 seconds a mile quicker on twisty roads (dependent on driver).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSCcqcpvPjA[/media]

Volvo = Ford, so effectively a lot of the parts are the same in the Volvo as in your bog standard Ford Taurus.

As for Cadillac......Meh... works great for the first 6000 miles, then the squeeks and rattles appear, then things start going wrong. Never known for their reliability.

Give me your budget and I'll throw some other options at you, but at First glance the "Impy" will give you more reliability and grin factor than any of the previous two suggestions and actually look better!

I ca also tell yo that on a rally stage, the new Impreza is an absolute beast to drive, I drove one of Prodrive's test cars last year around their test track and was seriously impressed! I guess the name fits!

BD1
          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

BD took the words right out of my mouth. A Subaru Impreza STi is a nice ride. Versitile and fun.

I would however prefer a 2008 or 2007 over the current 09's. The latter two are actually a bit quicker and tighter handling. However you will need to be carefull not getting one that was rode hard and put away wet :icon_lol:

The Mitsubishi EVO's are in the same vain however I'm un-sure about their current level of reliability?

Another avenue could be an Infiniti, they have the G35 or now the G37 sedan that is apparently really nice and would be more in line with the Cadillac theme.

If you decide to stay FF you should consider the Honda Civic Si 4dr. It would give you some space and be a blast to drive. It's a Honda so the reliability should be up there with the best?

Lucky though that your looking at cars in this category, have fun and take your time.

Comment

Between a CTS-V and a Volvo? :row__635:

Both quality vehicles, but both aim for and exhibit different ideas of luxury, comfort, driving, and style.

Have you look at anything else?
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Blackdog: Yeah the STi is something to look at for sure! I despise the new ones(2009+) however....2005 is where it's at....
                Something to keep in mind with the STi is that the insurance even for the very experienced adult is going to be REALLY high compared to a lot of other cars. Something to factor in when you are price shopping...

As far as FF, I enjoyed the new Civic Si, good responsive steering and a great sounding engine. However I much preferred the MazdaSpeed 3 I drove over the Si....The power destroys the Civic, and the hatchback design will swallow a whale...The VW Gti is a nice car but it's BORING!
                |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Sounds like you like to drive the crap out of your cars. Why don't you go with a Subaru Forester instead? It's a lot cheaper and with the extra money you can really beef up the engine, suspension, etc. to take all the abuse you want to dish out. You can lift it for more ground clearance and some mild off-roading or lower it for a more street style that will go plenty fast and be stable.

Checkout subaruforester.org and have a look around. It's a very versatile vehicle and the XT is pretty much endlessly upgradable. On the other hand you can get the new '09 Forester which has a whole new look and more electronic thingamabobs in addition to an even better AWD system.

Comment

an el camino, with a horn when used say's "El Camino!" in an american accent.
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                    Level I HazMat Technician
                    NYS EMT-B
                    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

A mechanic I trust told me never to buy Volvo. They are so complicated and expensive to repair.

Comment

maybe with a few more replies, I'll have more input (or the fact that my brain is just fried right now from today's stress), war.monger you know I'm the car guy so I'm going to give you some input :row__577:
                        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I appreciate all the input. I'm with ya'll on loving the Subaru's. I'm a HUGE fan of their AWD systems and I know they're great cars. BUT, as much as I love Subarus, the dealerships are far and few between in Texas. They're only in major cities for the most part. Sadly, that's the same reason I ruled out the Volvo today. Reality clicked, and I remembered my frustration with Mazda's lack of support in small towns. Volvo and Subaru would be even worse as far as support goes. As far a Civic goes, that's a no for me since I don't want FF. They are indeed super reliable cars, though. Turkish is right about the space with the 3 hatchback. That's what my car is! :p It's insane the amount of crap I can stuff in that car. I brought my 46" flat screen tv home (in the box) in the back with tons of room to spare! I drove another CTS-V tonight, and I think it's the only car that does everything I want it to. That engine is just so flippin' sweet. I think I'm addicted and the horse blinders are officially on. That seems to be all I want now after looking at all the competition I could find. I found out that if I buy a "Certified" Pre-Owned Cadillac, it comes with a GM 6 year/100,000 mile warranty! So that kind of sweetens the deal for me.

I also looked at the Infiniti Q45 (my fav), M35, and G35 sedan. All amazing cars with features and quality that blows away the Caddy, but sadly it's the same story as Subaru and other foreign cars...No dealer support in these crappy towns I'm always working in. :(

Comment

Purchasing a vehicle is an emotional buy that appeals to many things, and especially moreso in a man than a woman most of the time. So the ability to make a really indepth evaluation is oftentimes overriden by "omigodthisrideisfriggenSWEETWHEREDOISIGN!?"

That's how it was with my 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V. Then I started getting sick because of how firm the ride was and how bad Michigan roads are, and eventually as well as it handled, I just didn't find it to be comfortable to drive in. An Evo owner one day, I certainly am not. Though I have to say, my Jetta is far too squishy to say the least about the other end of the string.

Well then I had oil burning issues in that Sentra, and a control arm fell off, and the MAF died, and and and....

Comment

I am sure you won't suffer too much with a CTS-V ;)
                              |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X