Say Hi To Your New Games For Windows Live

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say Hi To Your New Games For Windows Live

I am posting this because I think a lot of us are going to be picking up Grand Theft Auto for PC next month, and word is it will use GFWL for the online part.

Right now, I have only used it for Gears of War, but it was a crappy experience, actually requiring me to uninstall some motherboard monitoring programs that came strait from ASUS.

They better have fixed it, or a million more people are going to be even more pissed at Microsoft after GTA4 releases.

Article:
    Say Hi To Your New Games For Windows Live

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Say Hi To Your New Games For Windows Live

It's already included in Fallout 3. I don't really see the use for it other than tracking your achievements. I didn't create an account until partway so it didn't retro-activate any achievements.

It's not really that great. You can have multiple profiles so it saves your game settings but logging in and out of them is annoying. Plus, there's a slight delay when you start the game while it logs in. If you're not logged in, you don't see your own save games.

It'll be interesting to see how it works in GTA4.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

What is the real purpose of GFW though, just to compare how far or how well you may be doing in a game? I never installed it for Fallout 3, I have been just playing and enjoying it anyway.

Comment

GFW is a branding so there's uniform packaging across all PC games. There will be a standard to every GFW certified game so consumers don't get confused or frustrated with how games display system requirements and such.

GFW Live sounds more like Steam Community. You can see what games your friends are playing and compare stats. I hope it brings in standards like integrated voice chat. It's one of the great things about XBox Live. The forced standards brings better games to the consumers.

But yeah, it basically adds achievements to Fallout 3. I haven't noticed anything else worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
          I hope it brings in standards like integrated voice chat. It's one of the great things about XBox Live. The forced standards brings better games to the consumers.
          That is the killer app for GFW. If it could see what game you are playing (that is compatible) and then hook you up with your friends AND provide VOIP to the groups/sides it becomes extreamly useful to PC gamers.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I don't plan on playing GTA IV online since the online play is pretty darn boring in my book.

Anyways, still hope they get rid of the whole GFW client portal thing (like how some games required GameSpy Arcade).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I guess I still don't get the point. To me it the way I am understanding it GFW is for bragging rights or something like that. I mean why else would Fallout 3 have it? not like you can connect online with your buddies and play Fallout 3, just to see you accomplishments. I don't guess I will install it if that is all it is, like GameSpy. I keep that crap off my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                I guess I still don't get the point. To me it the way I am understanding it GFW is for bragging rights or something like that. I mean why else would Fallout 3 have it? not like you can connect online with your buddies and play Fallout 3, just to see you accomplishments. I don't guess I will install it if that is all it is, like GameSpy. I keep that crap off my computer.
                You/we may not have a choice when we get our copies of GTA IV and install it on our PCs.

I'm more particularly bummed out that I'll have to start all over again from the beginning for what is now the fifth time. I'm still trying to find out if I can use the controller and my mouse and keyboard at the same time.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  You/we may not have a choice when we get our copies of GTA IV and install it on our PCs.

I'm more particularly bummed out that I'll have to start all over again from the beginning for what is now the fifth time. I'm still trying to find out if I can use the controller and my mouse and keyboard at the same time.
                  With the PC version, you naturally get a different input, the mouse and keyboard. If you want, though, it's entirely possible to play through with a gamepad. For our demo, an Xbox 360 controller was hooked up, and it along with the mouse and keyboard were active at the same time, meaning we didn't have to go into a control menu to swap between which input devices were active. This way, you can use the mouse and keyboard for aiming and the controller for driving, or whatever you prefer.

Cheers.
                  It's Gaming
                  Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

Excellent! :D

Thank you so much Dictate! :)
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                      For Fallout 3, it's probably useless. You may not care about achievements. What you're not seeing is the opportunity for an abstraction of some common functionality across PC games.

TeamSpeak is great and all but players don't use it while gaming. The voice integration is much better to use. If GFWL handles that and GFW enforces games to implement the GFWL voice integration, we're looking at far better gaming experiences. No more fiddling with external software to switch channels. Look at some of the online 360 games compared to the same game on the PS3. Rock Band doesn't have voice chat on the PS3 while the 360 has the ability to use the mic to talk to each other. This is because Live Arcade set standards. GFWL can do the same thing. You want GFW branding? Implement GFWL and all the requirements associated with it.

*It's also called GFWL (Games For Windows Live). GFW (Games For Windows) is the branding surrounding the online system and has standards, which hopefully raise the quality of PC games.

Comment

This just posted:

Relax, GTA IV Is Coming To Steam

This might be the first game I actually buy from steam, and not on disk.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                          This just posted:

Oooooh. I think I'm going to cancel my NewEgg pre-order then. I can't stand to wait 3 days for shipping anyways. :p

Wait a second...there's no pre-order button...boo!
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                            This just posted:

Now I am paying attention......very smart move on their part, also considering i don't have a dvd-rom drive.........now things are going to get interesting.

I hope theres a way to get around not using windows live........i really hope so, because i don't want to use it.
                            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                            Level I HazMat Technician
                            NYS EMT-B
                            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I refuse to use GFWL because it's part of Xbox Live, and not only can I not use my name, but any semblance of a non-retarded name has long since been registered, and the only available ones left are gibberish.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X