The Tale of the Offensive Developer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tale of the Offensive Developer

So I built a website for the client. The website is hit by thousands of external users each month.

I defined everything pertaining to style in a separate stylesheet. This adds value to the customer because they're able to change colors, fonts, bolds, italics, alignments, etc to suit whatever needs they have moving forward (marketing changes the company's "look", for example) without any code changes being made. For those of you not in the industry, this can make the product more reuseable moving forward.

Well, some of the website's forms have required fields. I denoted which fields are required by displaying the field's label in a different color. This color is defined in the stylesheet the customer controls.

Because the customer can change the color used to denote required fields moving forward, I designed the website to not specifically say what color was applied to required fields.

Instead, I applied the color defined in the stylesheet to the following phrase, which I put at the top of the forms:

COLORED FIELDS ARE REQUIRED.

That way, if they change the color moving forward, no code changes are required (as opposed to if I had put "BLUE FIELDS ARE REQUIRED" at the top of all the pages).

This has been in production for MONTHS now.

Today I get an email asking to have it changed to BLUE FIELDS ARE REQUIRED (the color presently being used is blue) so as to avoid "offending people."

I'm a sensitive guy when it comes to people being offended, but that made me just laugh out loud. Despite the email looking nothing but sincere, I couldn't help for a split second but wonder if they were joking in the request.

Needless to say they were not.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: The Tale of the Offensive Developer

What if you used "Highlighted fields required"? That's what every other website I can remember going to uses...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Color everything else, and make white fields required. :)
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

This reminds me of the debate they had at IEEE (I think) about changing IDE Master and Slave to Primary and Secondary to avoid offending people. Just what I'd like to see: "Hey, set the CD-ROM up on the primary primary channel (The IDE channels are already called Primary and Secondary).

What it really boils down to is that people are stupid. Unfortunately, these stupid people are paying you, hence you have to deal with them.

Of course, the real explanation is that: Wyz (the MAN!) is trying to keep the minorities down.

Comment

Use the politically correct term "African American Fields Are Reqiured"
          I love going down to the elementary school, watching all the kids jump and shout, but they dont know Im using blanks.

Comment

We should start a new "The Developer's offensive tail" thread just for Hemorrhoid!

Comment

In today's media centric world the language you use is important. It is easy to use the word 'highlighted' and it probably makes the sentance clearer.

I am sure 99.9% of people wouldn't have a problem with the word 'colored' here. I am also sure there are people (including white people) who appriciate a more sensitive choice of language and think consideration for others at all times is A Good Thing.
              Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
                I am also sure there are people (including white people) who appriciate a more sensitive choice of language and think consideration for others at all times is A Good Thing.
                This isn't a comment made by an insurance dealer stating: "Don't get jewed by another dealer: use us." That actually is offensive.

Wyzcracks example is people taking a word used in one context to mean another: which is in itself is a completely retarded decision making process on their part. It's not Wyz's fault that they have so much societal guilt, that they have to apologize for anything that could even concievably be taken as racist.

"OMG RITZ IS HLODING DOWN TEH WITE RASE!"

Comment

who was the dude who got in lots of trouble for using the word "niggardly"?

Same dillyo

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                    Of course, the real explanation is that: Wyz (the MAN!) is trying to keep the minorities down.
                    Or at least "differently pigmented" fields...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X