Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got kind of a serious issue, looking for some good advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got kind of a serious issue, looking for some good advice.

Hey guys so heres the story. It sounds crazy, but I assure you it is all true.

I have been dating this girl for a while now, I met her here in Victoria when she was evacuated out of Houston for the hurricane. Since then she has moved in with me. She has 2 good kids and shes a real sweetheart and has a good head on her shoulders. Now here is where it gets good. She was living with her kids dad in houston (her ex) who was abusive both physically and psychologically (always saying horrible things to her and whatnot). Turns out her dad is a major drug dealer in the Houston area. He and Felix (her ex) do alot of business as felix both sells and uses cocaine and all this other stuff. Now, I know for a fact that she is clean. She neither sells, nor uses anymore. She knows ill leave her if she does. Anyway, the result of Felix and her dad hanging out is that her dad apparently has someone following us or keeping an eye on us. She is pretty sure of this. Last night someone knocked on the door, but when I looked out the peephole I saw nobody. It could not have been on a neighbors door as the apt below me and across the hall are both being remodeled and are empty. Later that night her son was watching cars (the movie) like he always does before bed. We were laying in bed about to fall asleep when he comes out. He was very scared of something but I could not be clear as to what exactly he was scared of (he is 4). I asked him if he saw someone in the window and he said he did. The kids room window is by the patio, where the front door is. I keep the light on at night for security and the blinds closed. It is arranged in a manner that if someone was standing in front of the window the light would be behind them, casting the shadow on the blinds.

My question is, what should I do about this? What should I do, if anything, with LE? I dont really have any proof of him doing it. He called her and asked her about things that we did like how was grocery shopping and things like that. I have not yet spotted anything out of the ordinary. I was planning on taking a trip on the motorcycle with her in the back roads this weekend to see if we can single out anyone. Would this be a bad idea? I dont have alot of spare cash right now, but should I put some things aside and invest in a good handgun? I currently have an AK-47 (the semi-auto version) and 2x30 round mags loaded after last night. My concern here is that I live in an apartment complex and over penetration would certainly apply here. Even with HP ammo it would still over penetrate and go through several more walls and possibly hit someone else. I am not by any standards a bad shot with it but that is a huge concern for me. The only other firearms I own are both rifles, a break action H&R .243 and a Remington 798 in .308.

Breaking up with her is not an option, as Im not going to hurt her because of what her dad does and a crazy ex. I feel that even if I did it wouldnt help because then her dad would be pissed that I hurt her and all that. As it stands her dad doesnt really have anything against me personally. But that doesnt mean I trust him. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I need to go now to look at a few handguns before the shops close. I will be on in an hour or two.

Thanks all of you,

Shawn

Re: Got kind of a serious issue, looking for some good advice.

I wish I had some good advice here, but I don't and I don't want to say anything and it be stupid in this situation. I really hope you get this solved. Good luck man!

Comment

First of all a gun situation should be your last concern. You dont need that paper work. Second everytime you notice or something out of the ordinary happens, like the boy being scared you call 911 or a local PD. Atleast get a record of whats going on. Third call your landlord and give him that exact story, so he/she can be on the look out for something as well.

Okay back to the gun. Personally id ditch the idea of a AK or any caliber rifle. Get a shot gun. 20gauge Mossberg Pump, with a pistol grip is around 250 if you can swing that. Some 000 buck shot will really scare any one away. Even the sound of it being racked will instill some fear. No im not trying to be funny, speaking from experience.

Forth. let a couple buddies in on this as well. The more people you have watching your back and hers( + kids) the better and safer you will be.

You could sell that AK and make some really quick cash, im talking 500+ plus dollars and you could get a handgun or shotty. If you are looking for a handgun let me know or just ask.

Lets see if we can get some of the TG LE members from Texas to chime in here. Im sure Cing will be around.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Trooper- I agree with what your saying, a shotty would be great. Im not too particularly fond of ditching the AK as it has great stopping power if they decide to start things from across the parking lot. As for handguns I stopped by 2 places tonight and I saw a couple I like. 1911's are flying off the shelves. I dont want anything less than a .45, .40 at the smallest. I learned on a 1911 and its what im most confortable with. One place has an HK USP .45 for $495 used but its rough. They also had a Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum for $500. I dont like the idea of a 9mm as Im not totally convinced of the stopping power, Like I said before these guys are drug users/sellers so who knows what they may be on if/when they decide to pull something.

Comment

I think Ill go look at a good shotgun right now. I can probably swing up to about $500. I still would like a handgun. You got anything in mind, Trooper?

Comment

shotgun go with teh MossBerg 500 or something around that type. any good shop will know what you are talking about.

Handgun id personaly stay away from the HK. Not heard anything good about them. for a .45 you can get a rock river arms .45 for 400 bucks. just tell them what your looking for they should be able to help you out.
            -Vulcan

Comment

You can get a very good pump shotgun for less than $300. My Mossberg was $400. Handguns are considerably harder to shoot accurately, speaking from personal experience here.

Despite urban myth, shot tends to penetrate less than .223, .308, or small caliber pistol rounds. Don't use anything but 00 buck. Make sure you know what's behind every wall, and try to arrange your furniture in a manner in which you'll be able to respond to an intruder with the safest possible background.

For example, in my apartment, our bedroom opens to a hallway that only has our bathroom and a utility room on the other side of it. I know I can shoot safely through that wall no matter what when it comes to it. The opposite wall goes to the exterior and some dense woods and a hill, so I know that wall is going to be somewhat safe to shoot against as well. I would try as much as possible to put yourself in a situation where you're shooting at the bad guy with as safe a backdrop as possible, because if you miss, and there's people in the room on the other side of the wall, most of the shot will definitely make it through and hit them. It may not carry through the wall on the other side of that room so well, though.
              "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
              He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

My selection is pretty limited, I live in a small town. Nobody can keep anything in stock, Academy is really the only ones. I dont think they sell rock river, though. I can possibly head out of town to look at something but I dunno. Ill take a look at the rock rivers, see if I can find someone close that sells them.

Comment

First off, I carry an HK .40 and I love it. Absolutely the best handgun I've ever handled...

I'm not going to give much advice here on anything else, but I will ask one question. If your life, or the life of a loved one, is being threatened, does a small chance of someone else getting hurt due to overpenetration really matter? I'm not suggesting that one should be reckless, but you have to use what you have available to you.

Check out http://www.theboxotruth.com/ for some real info about penetration and purge any nonsense that you think you know about how far bullets will go through walls. This isn't CounterStrike.

Be mentally prepared to do what needs to be done. Don't assume that bullets need to fly. A strong, straightforward, no nonsense demeanor might be all it takes to confront someone and find out what's going on... It could just be that they don't trust you and are looking out for their loved ones.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

-Cingular, I understand that this isnt counter-strike, (no attitude intended), Its just I have seen what the weapon is capable of penetrating firsthand from shooting various things. The construction around here as far as I can tell is all wood frame and sheetrock. While the possibility of hurting someone else isnt that great, it is still there. All im saying is that if the stuff hits the fan and bullets start to fly (thinking worst-case scenario) I dont want to put innocent people in harms way if I dont have to. I read a story some time ago, I believe in the paper, about someones apartment being shot up with an Ak and the bullets went through his apartment completely, didnt kill him, but killed the neighbor in the apartment BEHIND his. If this were to happen, then Im afraid it would become more than just me defending myself. Seems as though bullets have a way of finding innocent people. I am looking at that site now, has alot of interesting stuff on it. Ill see if I can find something specific to the 7.62x39mm round. Unfortunately all I have for it right now are AE 124gr FMJ's

Comment

I would play it low key until a threat develops but if you are concerned to the level that you rearrange your furniture to tactical advantage I would look to LE for some help.
                      If the gf gets an order of protection then if bullets do fly you will have some legal standing to defend yourself.
                      I'm pretty sure the laws about guns and self defense are very different from where I live but I would check up on your rights, AT THE MOMENT, based on the latest cases so you know exactly what the details are before you have to make the decision to fire a high powered rifle in an apartment complex.

I agree with Cingular that a straightforward approach may be all that it takes to defuse the situation but if you are dealing with a cocaine or crack addict then confrontation may lead to more problems rather than less.

But getting a shotgun seems like a reasonable action in this case because drug dealers are known to carry guns themselves.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                        Check out http://www.theboxotruth.com/ for some real info about penetration and purge any nonsense that you think you know about how far bullets will go through walls. This isn't CounterStrike.
                        Great info on that website. Confirms what I've been told by a few friends in the area. :)
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Seek out your local LE, I'd keep the fact that you have a weapon on the down, and be up front with them with your concerns. At the very least, you'll make them aware of your situation and probably get some good legal advice and maybe even someone to keep an eye on your house for a short period of time.

You can also seek to get legal help - restraining orders - from the courts, which will help you if you have to shoot some kneecaps.
                          USAR

Comment

who knows you might help them bust a huge drug ring and make things safer for everyone involved.

Next thing, any place your gf and kids can go for a few days. Like some place not normal for that type of people to be around. Would help you find something off.
                            -Vulcan

Comment

I might suggest talking to teachers and the school, making sure that the kid's teachers know what is happening, and that they are not to release the kids to anyone but their mother. If they're in daycare, or in anyone else's care during the day, I'd say the same thing goes.

You might also look into security bars for the windows. I don't know how that would work out, with fire concerns and all, but, well, it's something to think about.

And I'll just say it again, talk to your local LE. If anything does happen, if you have a confrontation or something, you'll have a record and that sort of thing will help you if you decide to take legal action.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X