Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a laws or should be if someone download some software without you knowing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: is there a laws or should be if someone download some software without you knowing

I'll wait for the English translation...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Re: is there a laws or should be if someone download some software without you knowing

In many cases you might actually be agreeing to install the software simply by not fully reading the license agreements that come with packages you DO want to install. Many of the "freeware" applications on the net, especially peer to peer filesharing applications, load up all sorts of spyware, adware and other software as part of their packages.

Be sure to read all the licenses before you click "I agree" or proceed to install any software. In regards to the malicious web sites that install this type of software, yes, there should be laws in place to restrict and/or punish them for this type of activity.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

There actually a lawyer who, in his spare time, sues spammers and spyware creators. You could sue them if you wanted. And if you could prove monetary loss, you might win. But it's the same reason people don't fight traffic tickets in court: time and money.

Comment

Re: is there a laws or should be if someone download some software without you knowin

As far as my understanding goes, Congress was working on an anti-spyware law that makes it illegal for anyone to change software settings on your computer, or to install software without your prior knowledge. Seeing as how Congress in America is working on this, plan on it doing jack squat.
          As far as suing for damages, if you live in the United States you first have to be a business that has recieved over $5,000 USD in damages, then it falls under the protection of the Patriot Act. Even then, I doubt there is much you can do. When it comes to the internet, the laws are extremely limited in capacity, as they must be hosted by every country that has internet connections.

For example, the legal age to show nudity on the internet is 16 years old. While in your own country that might not be legal, if the person in question was in another country, there isn't anything you can do about it.
          The same goes for webservers and hosts. I know there are some countries that shall remain nameless where there are no laws against any form of hacking, or any laws regulating copyrights. Some countries have no laws against any form of nudity, regardless of age.
          Because of this, there will always be places you could recieve damages from, or find the most horrible thing you could ever imagine, and not be able to do anything about it.
          In the realm of computer security, it would be up to each government to block access to specific ranges of IP addresses where this illegal content is held. In america, that would be a violation of your rights, and cannot be done.
          However, even though something may be legal in another country, if you are found in possession of these illegal materials, you are still under the sway of the laws of the country you reside in.
          The best defense you have it to familiarize yourself with computer security and your operating system, or to place your trust in 3rd party applications such as software firewalls, or any other form of security layering.
          I hope this helps ;)
          "There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who know binary and those who do not. "

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X