Day of Defeat: Source server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day of Defeat: Source server?

I was curious as to whether TG has ever had a DoD:S server running? If so, how did it go, and why do we not have one anymore? If not, why not? I play it on occasion and find it to be alot of fun. If TG members are interested in trying this, I would be more than happy to set up a test server on my home server. We can work out the details (server name, TG tags or not, etc..) once we get enough interested people. Is there anyone I need to talk to, to make sure this is ok? i dont want to step on anyone's toes...

Re: Day of Defeat: Source server?

TG has had DoD and DoD:Source servers in the past. They simply weren't popular enough here to warrant a server.

TG also takes pride in the fact that our servers are run on high quality machines with big honkin' tubes (also known as bandwidth) available so that things run smooth with nobody lagging. We've found that having people serve games from home rarely works well and if it doesn't work well then we don't want the TG brand associated with it. So, in general, TG doesn't allow home servers to host TG games. Make sense?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Makes sense to me. Just thought it might be a fun game to try. now how do we lock this?

Comment

id be up for some DOD if you could find a server that A wasnt full of wieners and B wasnt full of whiners.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by MrShawn305 View Post
          Makes sense to me. Just thought it might be a fun game to try. now how do we lock this?
          It is a fun game! In fact, I think that the reason it never really caught on here at TG is because the game itself inspires teamwork. Unlike with other games that can be really dominated by a few good individuals, DoD plays in a way that rewards teamplayers that are communicating.

As for this thread, we don't lock it. We either keep discussing DoD or we stop discussing anything and it slowly drifts to the bottom of the forum.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

exactly. DODs is probably one of the best games for small teams to squad tactics. The vast majority of players out there are only out for teh DM type of play. Id love to get together with some TG players in this game.
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

I would be really interested in trying this game out with TG players. I got it for free with something else I purchased, tried it once and never played it again. It sounds like it COULD be the sort of game I could get into.
              sigpic

Comment

DoD:S is a great game, I've put my share of hours into it. It does lend itself to teamwork much more than some other shooters, mainly through the map design, the effectiveness of MGs, the lethality of almost all weapons, and the class system. But it also is VERY fast paced, and has almost an arcade feel to it. I think that might turn off some who may like the more meticulous approach to shooters. It definitely rewards fast reflexes just as much as teamwork.
                "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

This brings back memories from the first LAN party I went to. DOD was very fun, but I tried playing it by myself. It's impossible to do. :(

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Well Ill tell you guys what. Ill set up the server, it WILL NOT be a TG server (sporting TG tags) because of the things that Cing mentioned. It will have a dedicated cable connection (8/1) and ill provide you all with the IP address. If you guys care to, we can organize some non serious events to take place and we can all just play and have a good time. Ill try to have something up by tomorrow morning. Of course, if there is something you all dont like about it, please feel free to tell me so it can be changed. The name will be something along the lines of "MrShawn305 DoD server" there is also a "MrShawn305 TS server" for teamspeak. I believe it allows guests, but if not PM me and ill add you an account.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X