Which game should I get?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which game should I get?

Hey, I'm looking for some help on what my next purchase should be. I'm really looking for a great modern military game that's tactical. Something like ArmA, but where people play PvP, all the coop in ArmA kinda makes the game bland to me. I'm also interested in something along the lines of a Total War/Civs.

I was looking at SuperPower 2, since again I am a big Civs and Total War fan, but I always prefer games to be modern-day. So, SP2 sounds like something I'd really be interested in, since it involves geo-politics and realistic events, but the reviews for the game seem to be pretty bad. Has anyone here played the game and can tell me how it really is? Does it offer any depth and strategies?

Some other games I was looking at, but don't know much about:

Eve Online
    World at War 2
    Modern Combat mod for CS

In EVE is there a lot to do outside of actual combat? Are there any political influences in the game and can one side actually win? I love how EndWar is setup whereas one side can actually achieve victory, instead of fighting on and on with no goal or end in sight.

Re: Which game should I get?

Eve probably has one of the more sophisticated political situations in gaming. I know they've updated their faction versus faction war system since I last played, but as of two years ago the political situation was centered around the corporations (Guilds), which corporations that could amass large alliances of diverse player types being able to economically and militarily dominate large areas of space. Notably, you need hundreds of people contributing to build and maintain some of the heaviest supercapital space ships.

Eve has room for none-PvP, mainly in fighting mobs for cash or doing economic activity, producing weapons, ammo, ships, and components for the market. Eve is very social. You need to run with a corporation to do well in the game, and the better the corporation the easier and more fun your experience will be. Participating in a fleet battle with literally hundreds of players on each side hunting each other from system to system, working out ambushes and blockades, singling out and destroying valuable targets, it can be an amazing experience.

Another advantage is that you can level skills in real time, offline, which reduces some of the grinding component, especially if you have a sound economic base.

Comment

if you like politics and a completely player based game, eve is it. It offers so much more that WOW or any other game doesnt offer. IF you want to find out what its like go try Steams 21 day free trial. Or pm me if you have any specific questions about the game.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

thanks, I went ahead and downloaded the demo and I have no idea what I'm doing lol. I didn't go through the entire tutorial yet, but I will once I have more time, it seems like it'll be nice once I get the hang of everything. After you fight those first few pirates and do some quick mining, when the tutor says go "home", is she reffering to my school, because that's the only thing that I see in which I can dock at..

I also went ahead and purchased a game called Combat Mission Shock Force Marines which I like so far. You can tell it's a low budget game, but it's still very realistic and tactical. It's almost like a tougher more tactical version of Full Spectrum Warrior. Pretty cool.

Comment

I haven't played through the Tut in a long time, but I recommend you join a Corporation as soon as possible to get help with learning the game. It's very complicated and has a steep learning curve, so getting help from experienced people is a big plus. Most players seem to realize how tough it is to get going, and they'll help you out if you have questions. I'd ask around the Eve forums, see if someone can point you at a corporation.

Comment

join eve university. They can help
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill Jay View Post
              HI'm really looking for a great modern military game that's tactical. Something like ArmA, but where people play PvP, all the coop in ArmA kinda makes the game bland to me.

Buy Battlefield 2, then download the Project Reality mod. On the TG server, you will find plenty of teamwork and strategy going on, and the server is always full at 62 players. Gameplay is much more fast-paced than ArmA, but is also much, much slower and more tactical than your mindless BF2/Halo/Quake/TF2 run'n'gun shooters.

The number-one goal that the developers of Project Reality were aiming for is a teamwork-oriented atmosphere. The secondary goal is realism. Lots and lots of communication going on. Tanking requires solid VOIP communication between the driver and the gunner. Spotters are vital to CAS. The only instance where you will not hear people speaking is in squads named "no-VOIP." 90% of players on TG use their mics.

I have played ArmA, and I love the atmosphere created by the hardcore realism, but Project Reality seems to have a more teamwork-rewarding atmosphere.

The BF2 demo will not give you any idea of what Project Reality is like. PR is just so much different from BF2.

Another plus is that Battlefield 2 is only $8. If you live in the US, shipping is free from Amazon (although it takes a while)
              Waldo II

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up getting my copy of BF2 today and installed PR, I haven't had much time with it yet, but I think I'll really enjoy it. I've definitely noticed the teamwork involved already, so that's great. Whoever put this mod together really did an amazing job.

Comment

Re: do you want to have a try ?

Originally posted by wowo
                  i am looking for the cool game, too. and my friend played the rs and wow. they want me to play with them and i am thinking about it and they told me that they have ordered gold and items from a site called vgoldseller and thats cool enough. if i have a try? lol ok. i will. hah..
                  Originally posted by wowo
                  i want to have a try the game that my friends played now, thay have many games, wow, rs and lotro. etc. and they want me to play the rs with them together. and i will. lol
                  cos they are my best friends and i will buy the gold like them from vgoldseller they told me. and then i can play with them. oh it sounds so good!

wow you couldn't be any worse of a gold sales man, if you wanna call yourself that.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill Jay View Post
                    Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up getting my copy of BF2 today and installed PR, I haven't had much time with it yet, but I think I'll really enjoy it. I've definitely noticed the teamwork involved already, so that's great. Whoever put this mod together really did an amazing job.
                    Fantastic, I think you will come to love the mod.

But please, read the manual. The game is pretty complicated compared to many other games (not nearly as complicated as ArmA, though).

Link to the Manual

It will explain everything from kit loadouts, how to get requestable kits, to what rally points are, what they do, what kits you can and cannot get from them, what that box is that dumps out of nearly every vehicle, what the shovel does, it has almost all of it (by that, I mean you will pick up on the ultrafine details after quite a bit of playing)
                    Waldo II

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X