GTA IV on Steam or on DVD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTA IV on Steam or on DVD?

Okay, I already have a pre-order through NewEgg for GTA IV, but I'm at a dilemma...

Steam offers GTA IV + GTA: San Andreas for $50 ($3 more than NewEgg) but I'd have to download some 4 GBs+ on my 3 mbps DSL connection.

Obviously I don't get a nice case, possible art posters, keymap posters, or a nice box and DVD disk if I get it off of Steam and that has been part of the appeal of buying retail for me.

Unlike Steam where I can maybe download it all in a day or so, I'll have to wait at least 3 days for the physical copy to arrive at my doorstep if I leave my pre-order through NewEgg. I also only get GTA IV since there is no current retail PC bundle with both of those games.

I haven't played San Andreas at all, but know I love GTA IV.

So which one (download or retail) should I get?

Convince me with your best rhetoric.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: GTA IV on Steam or on DVD?

I would go with retail.. You will phisically have it and all the goodies... You have waited this long to play the game what is another 2 days?? San andreas isnt really worth buying its pretty cheasy and graphics are really bad. I wouls just stick with IV retail version
    |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

Originally posted by warpig1292 View Post
      I would go with retail.. You will phisically have it and all the goodies... You have waited this long to play the game what is another 2 days?? San andreas isnt really worth buying its pretty cheasy and graphics are really bad. I wouls just stick with IV retail version
      I've actually gotten about 1/3 the way through GTA IV on the 360 at school. I wanted it for the PC since most of the time I'm lazy to go downtown to the console lab to play.

Good to know San Andreas doesn't have that great of graphics.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I love Steam because I don't have to have a disk or a book with a key code, or any of that other crap. I just log into Steam and it's there. I can install or uninstall any of the games in my account whenever I want.

Some would say the internet access requirement is a downside, but we're all going to have that. And you don't need it to play, just to download and activate.

Steam is the bomb diggity.

Oh, and Steam never gets scratched, either...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I'd Say STEAM also.. Free Game... I know the Download will take awhile..but even with the GREAT NEWEGG shipping..you are talking two days.. Plus even if you Fubar somethign on your drive.. STEAM is acting like a remote repository for your game library... So you can just go grab it when you want it..
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

STEAM. Vice City is an awesome game in spite of the graphics (and IMO, San Andreas is way better) plus its so convenient! Either way, I'm really looking froward to downloading and playing it next week.

(BTW, you get Vice City with your pre-order, not San Andreas.)
            Last edited by Buckets; 11-27-2008, 10:54 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm doing it via steam. Easier for me and no worry about losing or damaging discs.. plus, free games. I own san andreas + vice city on ps2, and itd be great to play them again since I don't use my ps2 anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
                STEAM. Vice City is an awesome game in spite of the graphics (and IMO, San Andreas is way better) plus its so convenient! Either way, I'm really looking froward to downloading and playing it next week.

(BTW, you get Vice City with your pre-order, not San Andreas.)
                It seems they're changing the "free game" offered with each day's pre-order of GTA IV.

I already have Vice City for the XBOX and don't feel like getting it as a extra copy. Plus I'm pretty put out by the graphics quality (makes me dizzy after about an hour).

I've cancelled my NewEgg pre-order and gonna wait to see if they might offer a different free game tomorrow.

Edit:

Ah screw it, I looked at the other games and the graphics aren't much better.

I took the dive an pre-ordered through Steam. You guys convinced me. :)
                Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 11-27-2008, 01:44 PM.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If I decide to get it I'll probably go with steam. That said, have they cleaned up the game for PC? GTAs controls, especially when you're in a firefight, are a bit touchy, and I don't want to play the game if I'm stuck with a bad port of the console controls.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post
                    If I decide to get it I'll probably go with steam. That said, have they cleaned up the game for PC? GTAs controls, especially when you're in a firefight, are a bit touchy, and I don't want to play the game if I'm stuck with a bad port of the console controls.
                    IGN did a preview back a few weeks they were able to use the 360 controller alongside the mouse and keyboard.

From what I've read online, the mouse controls the camera view when you're driving and your player movement when he's on foot. So you can aim and shoot a lot easier on the PC.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      [...]most of the time I'm lazy to go downtown to the console lab to play.
                      What?! You got a console lab at your school? I want one!
                      Oh and id stick to retail. You get loads of goodies and San Andreas isnt worth it.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
                      The BigC

Comment

Originally posted by Xmaster View Post
                        What?! You got a console lab at your school? I want one!
                        Oh and id stick to retail. You get loads of goodies and San Andreas isnt worth it.
                        DePaul actually has two gaming labs: a PC and a Console lab. The PC lab has a load of popular games for the last 5 years. The console lab has several large 50" TVs and an assortment of smaller ones, a 360, Xbox 1, PS2, PS3, and Wii console for each TV.

Already pre-ordered through Steam for the following reasons:

1) I can't wait until December 5th to play it. Too long of a wait.

2) I've scratched a few CD/DVD games already over the past 15 years, so I don't want to have to purchase a new copy of GTA IV if the disk is scorched.

3) Rockstar hasn't even mentioned any other goodies besides a basic manual and the DVD disk. I doubting there'll be nice goodies like with Stardock titles.
                        Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 11-28-2008, 01:07 AM.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

In response to the disk scratch, my roomy actually dropped an inert trainer grenade on his copy of GTAIV, so we called up Rock Star and asked if they would replace it. Turns out that if you have the original disk and packaging then 7.95$ will get you a new disk. Try this with other companies if you've got a damaged disk, I think most of them have some kind of replacement policy.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post
                            In response to the disk scratch, my roomy actually dropped an inert trainer grenade on his copy of GTAIV, so we called up Rock Star and asked if they would replace it. Turns out that if you have the original disk and packaging then 7.95$ will get you a new disk. Try this with other companies if you've got a damaged disk, I think most of them have some kind of replacement policy.
                            Again, it's another $8 on top of the $50+ I pay for the retail disk. That's not counting the shipping cost it would cost me to send the disk in for replacement. So together, I'd be looking at another $14 at least for a replacement disk. Steam has me sold already.

It just adds up to too much money. As for scratching disks, I try my hardest to keep my stuff in tip-top shape. It's just happened a few times. Besides the fact I had a spare 2142 disk, other games I never bothered to replace since they either don't produce the game anymore or the company that makes them has become a pile of dust.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

wtf?
                              Originally posted by GTAForums.com
                              You need to log into Rockstar's Social club AND Windows Live to be be able to log into the game online.
                              I dont have any of these accounts and do not plan on getting them.
                              former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X