New Truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Truck

While im looking to get a new truck this week. I am stuck between a few models. I am looking for a small 4d truck that is reasonably priced around 12k. I have been looking at the 2005 nissan frontier and the 2005 chevy colorado. I dont like the toyotas just because everyone around this town has them. These were the particular models that i was looking at

|TG-31st| WarPig1292

Re: New Truck

cant you get a new ford ranger for around 13k?
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
      cant you get a new ford ranger for around 13k?
      I dont really like the body style of them and they are kinda small. 13k is for the base model which basically has no extras for example power windows, ect.
      |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

I don't know if legroom is a must or not, but I've sat in both in the '08 Chicago Auto Show. I honestly felt the Chevy had the best legroom for the driver and driver-side passenger. Unfortunately, if I were the driver, no adult would be able to sit behind me.

Other than that, have you test driven either?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by warpig1292 View Post
          I dont really like the body style of them and they are kinda small. 13k is for the base model which basically has no extras for example power windows, ect.

ah okay your looking for something like a half ton or so.
          -Vulcan

Comment

I would go with the chevy colorado over the frontier anyday to me they look better and will most likely out last the nissan.
            |TG| Plude220

Comment

I would go to the EPA web site and compare the vehicles you are interested to get an idea of fuel economy. I personally never seen a Ford Ranger get the fuel economy they claim they are supposed to. So that would definitely be out of my head if I were looking for a new small truck.
              EPA website claims the Ford, Toyota, and Mazda's are the best fuel efficient small trucks though, that is in the 2WD range. Not sure what the 4WD fuel economy is, didn't look. I personally would look into the Toyota for the fact they seem to have a pretty stable reputation. You can always do mods to make your truck stand out in the crowd to be different than every other Toyota on the block.
              I have a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee I have slowly been modding just so it doesn't have the soccer mom look. Such as the 33" tires I am getting real soon and the lift kit. I am also adding a 5 speed manual and trail bumpers then adding Dana 44 front and rear axles.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                I would go to the EPA web site and compare the vehicles you are interested to get an idea of fuel economy. I personally never seen a Ford Ranger get the fuel economy they claim they are supposed to. So that would definitely be out of my head if I were looking for a new small truck.
                EPA website claims the Ford, Toyota, and Mazda's are the best fuel efficient small trucks though, that is in the 2WD range. Not sure what the 4WD fuel economy is, didn't look. I personally would look into the Toyota for the fact they seem to have a pretty stable reputation. You can always do mods to make your truck stand out in the crowd to be different than every other Toyota on the block.
                I have a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee I have slowly been modding just so it doesn't have the soccer mom look. Such as the 33" tires I am getting real soon and the lift kit. I am also adding a 5 speed manual and trail bumpers then adding Dana 44 front and rear axles.
                Great choice on teh axle. My cousin has those on his jeep and has not had one problem, and he beats on his really hard.
                -Vulcan

Comment

I would take a look at GMC's. My dad swears by them and has bought 3 of them in a row. The first one he bought in the 80's is actually still running strong, he sold it to one of his workers and it has well over 300,000 miles by now.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

The Colorado/Canyon have been panned since their debut. GM's attempt at the 5-cylinder isn't all that great, for starters.

The Frontier, on the other hand, is a very solid entry. Most every single Nissan engine is superbly engineered, as well.
                    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I would stay away from the Colorado/Canyon, my friend had a Canyon, it had several major problems. He ended up getting a different truck within a year. My father had a Pathfinder Armada, so if the quality in engineering applies to most Nissan models, then the Frontier should be your choice. Perhaps see if consumer reports has anything about the different light trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                        Great choice on teh axle. My cousin has those on his jeep and has not had one problem, and he beats on his really hard.
                        I actually wanted to go with Dana 60's but they are a little hard to come by and expensive. I go to a Jeep forum quite a bit and most of the people there claim my Jeep will not except a 5-speed manual transmission due to the fact the crankshaft was not bored for a pilot bearing. I have plans of getting a crankshaft out of a Dodge pickup of about the same year that had a 5-speed already. That way I will be able to still use the crankshaft and cam sensors.
                        Gonna take me a long time to actually get all the things done I want to but it will be worth it. Will have to be better at playing in the mud than the 86 Chevy diesel truck I had. Wife actually wants me to buy a second Grand Cherokee cause of the mileage we get with this one right now, I get 27 MPG on the highway, not to shabby for a V8. If I bought a second one I would be able to make it into the play toy but I would not get one with all the luxuries this one has.

Comment

That's a tough choice. Both are fantastic looking trucks. I've been in both. The Colarado/Canyon has an insane amount of legroom. However, I've seen how well the Frontier performs off-road (beaches to be precise) and it was truly impressive. Get the Nismo edition Frontier and you'll be pretty happy. I also think the Nissan has a higher quality feel to it all the way around.
                          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

my father worked 36 years for GM and I own a nissan and a Honda....both with well over 100,000 on them and only doing basic maintenance. My dads opinion.... They last and have less maintenance. LOL! When I asked my mechanic at Midas what are good vehicles he put it plain and simple.....nissan,toyota,or honda....we never see them......EVER! I was GM all my life until I had to start paying for the maintenance on them.....we have nowhere near the qaulity control in our plants to make ALOT of good dependable vehicles, the foreign's hold there resale a heck of a lot better also. Now before anyone accuses me of being an american made hater....I live in Michigan, it's all automotive driven by the big 3 here. Oh and 1 more thing, those foreign vehicles....there more american made than the american vehicles.
                            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by venman View Post
                              I live in Michigan, it's all automotive driven by the big 3 here. Oh and 1 more thing, those foreign vehicles....there more american made than the american vehicles.
                              One of the amusing things about moving back to Michigan, is the proliferation of bumper stickers that say "Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign?". I've seen them start popping up since my holiday visits back in 2005. It's too bad my designed-in-Stuttgart-built-in-Mexico Jetta completely skipped the American profit system, save the dealership sale.

When in fact, there ARE in fact a few American-made vehicles I could be convinced to purchase. Such as the Fusion or the CTS, but aside from not being in the market right now for a vehicle, they are also vehicles that are not in a class I would be purchasing a vehicle in (compact to small midsize) and do not offer the engines (yet) that I would want in them (Diesel) or the transmissions I want (manual). But in the best interest of not hijacking this thread (too much further), I'll digress past that point.

There ARE a number of light trucks out there aside from the Colorado/Canyon, and Frontier, but...

The Ranger long since lost any ability to compete, the Mazda B is a badge-engineered Ranger. Both vehicles have suffered the F-series getting all funding and attention.

Isuzu I-290 is a badge-engineered Colorado.

Dodge Dakota is your middle-child upsize light truck with terrible engine choices and questionable quality, the Mitsubishi Raider is.... a Dakota.

Suzuki Equator is a Frontier (a Frontier with a lower cost-of-entry, for what it's worth...)

Toyota Tacoma has long since been a solid vehicle.

The up-and-coming Pontiac ST (err.. I mean El Camino) is something one would kind of question the relevance of, but oddly enough it may actually end up being a better "light truck" than the trucks THEMSELVES offer. Especially being a unibody. Now, if only the Ecotec Turbo was in there for economy and power-on-demand instead of a lunking V8....

So unfortunately the light pickup market really REALLY sucks right now. In that all it is, are copies of the same 3 father vehicles. They're something of the middle-child, and some crossovers have the kind of cargo capacity and configuration that does actually supplant the uses of a light pickup (and it's bed) including towing capacity. The only real benefit they have these days, in my opinion, is as a low-cost throwaway vehicle which you tow your landscaping company equipment with, and are relatively cheap to repair and insure due to the ease of servicing component, and bonehead-simple design and engineering. It's the perfect vehicle for the on-the-go contractor and whatnot, but not as something I would use as a daily-driver by any means. Not with squishy suspensions and roller-coaster rides on unloaded leaf-springs.

I mean, I understand the Ladder frame is timeless in a lot of respects, but hell they even finally put leaf springs on the Dodge Ram to rest, for coil-overs in the back. There's talk of the F-100 coming back, and rumor that it will replace the Ranger. It's looking to be about Dakota-size. The whole unibody concept that is the Honda Ridgeline and the ST MAY be something to consider ESPECIALLY for light trucks, moving forward.
                              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X