Wearing glasses and gaming on the PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing glasses and gaming on the PC

I recently went to the eye doctor (first time since i was 17) and was told that my right eye has been doing all the work my entire life, to put it in clearer terms i noticed a few years back while driving that i was having trouble seeing the exits, and i couldn't see long distances/my left eye was blurry a lot of the time.

So I am now wearing prescription glasses (its my first day, but i think the prescription for my left eye is a smidge higher than my actual right eye).

But let me stop rambling and get right to the point, for those who wear glasses/contacts do you do so while you play PC games? If you have worn them, and then haven't worn them while gaming do you notice a difference in seeing things farther away? Is the picture more clear as a whole?

What tips would you give with wearing a headset w/microphone attached?
    I ask this because at work i have a headset and it doesn't fit too well (its plantronics gaming headset, and the headband thing is against the lower part of the head, as opposed to headphones which sit on top of the head)

any suggestions/comments would be very helpful.

*glad its friday, its been a hell of a week.*
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Wearing glasses and gaming on the PC

I do on and off. If you're in the middle of a game, and the headset's on and you have an itch or an eyelash or something, you have to go through the whole ordeal while mid-game. Usually when that happens, I just leave my glasses off for a while. I can't stick my finger between and try to rub my eyes, because 9 times out of 10 I end up smudging the lens and it's a chore to have to clean them. The headset itself covers the ears, but the pressure is light enough where I can go a couple of hours before I start to feel the frame pressing into my skull.

In which case, I'm not reading a large amount of text, and the game is large enough to where I don't have much trouble with it. But if I find myself leaning toward the monitor, I'll put them back on. Only for TG games, do I need to do this, because it's the only time I have or want to use the headset for VoIP.

I otherwise understand your take on the situation, my eyes are essentially the same way; my left eye has difficulty focusing and is the primary cause of blurring, but neither eye is 20/20, both have differing astigmatism, and I have naturally large pupils (people often comment how large they dilate when I get excited and think I'm on drugs...) which simply make glare worse than people with normal size pupils. My vision isn't horrible, but I have night blindness and after a while at work even with large monitors, my eyes started going nuts from the strain and all the squinting. So I finally saved up the cash to go to the Optometrist, and got my second pair of glasses; the first I've had since I was 17 (and lost about 6 months later, but rest assured these puppies aren't going ANYWHERE).
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I wear contacts when I game. I have to wear them though. I am blind without them. I haven't worn glasses in years so on that front, I can't help you. But I do not have any problems gaming with contacts.
      sigpic
      I'm Back.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
        So I am now wearing prescription glasses (its my first day, but i think the prescription for my left eye is a smidge higher than my actual right eye).

What tips would you give with wearing a headset w/microphone attached?
        I ask this because at work i have a headset and it doesn't fit too well (its plantronics gaming headset, and the headband thing is against the lower part of the head, as opposed to headphones which sit on top of the head)
        as for the prescription part, it's pretty typical for the eyes to have different prescriptions. My contacts varied by a fair amount. The diopter measurement in my left eye was -5.5 and my right eye was -6.0 which equates to a 20/700 vision in my left eye and 20/800 in my right eye. Conversion chart

I've never had any problems with glasses and headsets though, your eyeglasses will be under the cup of the headphone with either set up and if you have to take your glasses off or they move it's going to be kind of a pain. If you ever switch to contact, just make sure you have some eyedrops ready for those long gaming nights. I never used them but after LASIK, they feel so good, I wish I has used them much more.
        Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

I have 20/400 vision in both eyes, and am blind without glasses or contacts. I can't see the monitor clearly enough not to wear glasses. Wearing glasses with a headset can be a pain, if you need to wear them, wear them. Might want to try taking them off whenever you have a break in-game to alleviate the pain.

Like Catman said, contacts are a lifesaver, but the eye drops need to be kept next to the comp!

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
            The headset itself covers the ears, but the pressure is light enough where I can go a couple of hours before I start to feel the frame pressing into my skull.
            -5.0 in both eyes here.
            Taking a break every so often helps ease the eyes. Even just 60 seconds with your eyes closed.
            A marathon gaming session can leave you with some sore ears tho if you wear glasses :-/

|

Comment

Left

Right
              1.00 - 1.50

so as you can see, I am right eye dominant, which is kind of ironic since I am a lefty.

But the eye doctor jokingly said "you can blame your right handed parents on this" I laughed because my mom goes to see the eye doc that i saw. But the other interesting thing is that i only throw and write with my left hand, so i guess i can blame my right handed parents for everything. - Future Law & Order episode? hmmm

So I am nearsighted, and it is nice even if the left lenses are too strong that i can actually see the name of stores across the street in full rather than it being partly blurry or just memorizing them from seeing them before.

I need to wear these when i drive and i am hoping when i drive home tonight i will get home safe........we shall see.
              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

I don't wear glasses while i game, because it's generally uncomfortable. I see fine close up, but further away i can't see crap.
                I have SkullCandy Headphones:http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/hesh-p-5.html (In black)
                (I use a desktop mic)
                And considering they're around ear, it's not to uncomfortable to wear my glasses, but i prefer not to. I see everything in game fine.
                By the way:
                Great headphones, buy a pair if you have to buy a new pair.

Comment

Either if im wearing my contacts or glasses I usually have them on while playing since im farsighted. I think its actually healthier to be wearing them while your playing a game because if you cant see it well you will squint which is not good to do. My PC151 Sennheiser headset works perfectly with glasses since it doesnt really wrap around your head too much.

Comment

Yea I am more nearsighted so i might wear them anyways just to see what it is like, but i have found myself sometimes putting my face right up against the computer screen, though its usually late at night, when ive been playing PR too damn long anyways.
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

While I'm technically near-sighted, my sight has gotten progressively worse and I cannot see anything clearly past about 1 foot. I wear a circum-aural headset and the pads on it are actually cushy enough that I can take my glasses off and slide them back on without taking off the headset. It's important that the glasses fit properly as well, otherwise it will just hurt. Also, if you don't wear your glasses for several days then your eyes will slowly adjust and you will have slightly better vision that you would have if you had just taken off your glasses, but your eyesight has to be pretty good in the first place to be able to do that.

Comment

Tips: Get a frame with relatively thin "legs".
                        Tip your lenses slightly forward so that your ear is not pinned between headphones/legs. That can hurt A LOT after a few hours.
                        If possible, have relatively short hair.
                        Give yourself a good few seconds of shuteye whenever you can to combat eye fatigue.
                        Use relatively light headphones. Heavy, "sound-dampening" one can press hard on your ear, pinching it between the "legs" and headphones.

I have absolutely terrible eyesight, somewhere in the range of 180-220/20 in my worse eye. No "taking them off" for me.

Comment

I wonder if everyone playing to much PR is the culprit for everyone's bad eye sight. I wear glasses too.
                          -Craz3y-

(\__/)
                          (O.o ) Disposable: These [Team stacking]threads are like a woman's period: They come (> <)around once a month and during that time no one is happy. Then it goes away, the sun comes out, birds sing, and everything is cool for 3 weeks, then hell returns again.

Comment

Playing a 3 hour game without changing focus will not be good for the muscles in the eye afaik but I tend to look away every time I die at least.

If you have a window close by and look out at the horizon every half an hour at least I reckon thats enough

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I tried wearing my contacts/glasses for a while, but i dont see much of an improvement over just sitting a tiny bit closer to the screen. Also if i wore my glasses in excess of an hour while gaming it gave me a terrible migrane.

Me = - 3.50 in both eyes.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X