bunk-bed plans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bunk-bed plans?

I've got three sons (5, 2, and 2 months) that are all going to be sharing the same bedroom soon (once the wee one graduates to the crib)... which means the older kids need bunk-beds. However, I refuse to spend $800-$1500 on something I can easily make myself.

I've been poking around the web, but figured I'd post here... I know we've got plenty of DIY junkies here too... Anyone done this before and have some snazzy plans? I can just whip up a couple box-frames and four legs, but I'd like something a little more interesting...

Re: bunk-bed plans?

I'm sure you've already googled for plans, but I got googled into this site and was surprised at the creative beds that you could buy. Just seeing the various ideas should give you an idea of how to build it yourself.

I always had my own room, but I always thought the bunk bed from Diff'rent Strokes was the coolest!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tEGhn18z28&feature=related[/media]
    Last edited by CingularDuality; 12-05-2008, 02:47 PM.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Are you talking something really nice, or a DIY monstrosity?

It's not that difficult to make one, I made one back in college for my roommate and myself (no, it wasn't made from beer cans and pizza boxes). You need to keep in mind how you want to build the bed frames and then attach them either to eachother or to four supports that will separate them.

What is it you want to do?
      USAR

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
        I'm sure you've already googled for plans, but I got googled into this site and was surprised at the creative beds that you could buy. Just seeing the various ideas should give you an idea of how to build it yourself.

I always had my own room, but I always thought the bunk bed from Diff'rent Strokes was the coolest!

wow... the internet is great... that IS a pretty cool bed... forgot about it!

I'm actually thinking something along these lines would be quick/cheap/fun/sturdy:

... a blatent ripoff of these two ideas:
        http://shoppingmatchmaker.com/freebedplans.htm
        http://www.canply.org/pdf/main/plypl...ns_bunkbed.pdf

Comment

Don't do this:

Bunk Bed How(not)-To
          Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
            Don't do this:

Bunk Bed How(not)-To
            :icon_lol:

"Ok, Important safety tip, thanks Eigon."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post

Heh.. wow.. my son's is much like that one.
              sigpic

Comment

W6,

Ikea is your friend...and real close to you. Give them a look. I had the same problem and bought a loft bed. The bed is real sturdy, however you have to assemble it yourself. Don't go by the website as they have a greater selection in the store.
                "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

National Lumber is my friend... and closer ;)

$94... including some more wood glue... I'll post pics when I'm done...

Comment

Here's my super idea:

1. Go to Lackland AFB.
                    2. Go to any number of the closed down Dormitories around the base...
                    3. Take any number of beds you want. Even better: They can be taken apart and put back together! So you could make triple beds, singles, doubles...!

Just my idea :p
                    Skud

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                      I've got three sons (5, 2, and 2 months) that are all going to be sharing the same bedroom soon (once the wee one graduates to the crib)... which means the older kids need bunk-beds. However, I refuse to spend $800-$1500 on something I can easily make myself.

I've been poking around the web, but figured I'd post here... I know we've got plenty of DIY junkies here too... Anyone done this before and have some snazzy plans? I can just whip up a couple box-frames and four legs, but I'd like something a little more interesting...
                      A number of years ago my parents thought over this exact same expenditure. In the end, they bought two bunk beds for us kids. They spent about $900 in total (no mattresses or furnishings).

My dad, being the semi-perfectionist he is and wonderful do-it-yourself handyman, figured he could spend just about as much on wood alone for a bunk bed when he could get a steel one (self assembly) barebones for around $450.

In the end, my brother and I slept on a 5-ply plywood board each in our bunkbed, while my sister had one all to herself with a soft cushiony mattress (and her baby stuff in the top bunk in easy reach).

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                      Wow. How much do your older sons weigh?

I can tell you right now, that bed is gonna rock back and forth when one of them is climbing up to the top bunk.

I would suggest connecting the corners of the bottom and top bunks with a 2x4 to act as posts (and to make it a bit more sturdy).

Any plans on using a mattress or are they sleeping on the hard wood surface?
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The bed I made in college wasn't pretty, but it was SOLID. 4X4's for the 4 corners. 2X8's for the connecting pieces. 1" playwood for the mattress. HUGE bolts to hold it together. It could have held a football team...
                        "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                        Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                        " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skylark View Post
                          The bed I made in college wasn't pretty, but it was SOLID. 4X4's for the 4 corners. 2X8's for the connecting pieces. 1" playwood for the mattress. HUGE bolts to hold it together. It could have held a football team...
                          "could have"? that's not what I heard. :row__685:

Comment

Lordy, I've been living in lofted beds for years. My lofts have always been a 4x8 plywood board cut to fit my matress and supported by a frame of 4x4s and some 1x6s for stability. From there you can pretty much do anything you'd like, add on platforms or shelves, hang curtains to give some privacy, attach lamps. My loft is over my computer desk and has a hook for my mic/headphones and hanging baskets for keys and whathave you. And one of these days I'm going to get around to putting my desk lamp back up, bolted into the bottom of hte bed frame.

If you don't mind having a fairly ugly bed, one made out 4x4s and a 4x8 plywood board will last forever, and you don't have to yell at the kids if they mess it up, paint on it, or whatever.

NOTE: To get some stability out of it I recommend putting some screws right into the studs in the wall. It doesn't take a lot, but it will make the bed much, much more stable. Also, I recommend using screws, so that you can take it apart, modify it, or move it much easier.

Comment

Lordy, I've been living in lofted beds for years. My lofts have always been a 4x8 plywood board cut to fit my matress and supported by a frame of 4x4s and some 1x6s for stability. From there you can pretty much do anything you'd like, add on platforms or shelves, hang curtains to give some privacy, attach lamps. My loft is over my computer desk and has a hook for my mic/headphones and hanging baskets for keys and whathave you. And one of these days I'm going to get around to putting my desk lamp back up, bolted into the bottom of hte bed frame.

If you don't mind having a fairly ugly bed, one made out 4x4s and a 4x8 plywood board will last forever, and you don't have to yell at the kids if they mess it up, paint on it, or whatever.

NOTE: To get some stability out of it I recommend putting some screws right into the studs in the wall. It doesn't take a lot, but it will make the bed much, much more stable. Also, I recommend using screws, so that you can take it apart, modify it, or move it much easier.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X