X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Destroys RPG in Mid-Flight

Thought everyone here would find this new tech pretty cool:

Army Destroys RPG in Mid-Flight

Considering RPG's are what the Pirates are using to capture ships off the coast of Africa, looks like even ships might need one of these.......

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Army Destroys RPG in Mid-Flight

link

cant just buy an already working system, we need to spend that tax money to reinvent the wheel just so that an American contractor can have a fat contract.

made in the usa... in a few years, our apologies to all that die in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by teratoma View Post
      cant just buy an already working system,
      There isn't one...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vecujSqAbfs[/media]
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

There isn't one? Trophy is one, isn't it?
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
          There isn't one? Trophy is one, isn't it?
          Not one that works!
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
            Thought everyone here would find this new tech pretty cool:

Army Destroys RPG in Mid-Flight

Considering RPG's are what the Pirates are using to capture ships off the coast of Africa, looks like even ships might need one of these.......
            holy bleep that's cool!!

Comment

Amazing Tech..
              Speaking of which... Do they do any new FUTURE WEAPONS tv shows on teh Military Channel? They demo's some super cool stuff like this.. I only seem to catch the repeats.....
              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
              ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

just think what that does to the poor enginner standing by your tank tryinig to fix you with his wrench.

Join the 71st Tuesdays and Fridays for

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                  holy bleep that's cool!!

what he said....bleep
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Originally Posted by [EDF]_eflight
                    just think what that does to the poor enginner standing by your tank tryinig to fix you with his wrench.
                    Or the grunts dismounted along side the vehicles or the TC with his head outside the hatch. It could work as a unintentional anti-personnel weapon.

Comment

Didn't the outer armor work well against rpgs also? (Guessing that this thing is a lot more cost effective and better with weight though).. I don't know what it's called but just the armor that gets attached to the outside of the vehicle in a plaid design sort of, RPG hits that first, molten bad stuff goes off and it only hits side of vehicle thus doing nothing compared to it penetrating into crew area..
                      "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                      'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                        Didn't the outer armor work well against rpgs also? (Guessing that this thing is a lot more cost effective and better with weight though).. I don't know what it's called but just the armor that gets attached to the outside of the vehicle in a plaid design sort of, RPG hits that first, molten bad stuff goes off and it only hits side of vehicle thus doing nothing compared to it penetrating into crew area..
                        RPGs are worthless against MBT armor, even a strike on the rear that is so laughably exaggerated in games like BF2 stands an extremely unlikely chance of knocking out the engine.

Against Humvees and even Strykers (unsure about Bradleys, I'd assume it's mostly safe), not so much. An RPG is semi armor-piercing, punching through the armor and spewing molten copper (I believe?) fragments that work like a fragmentation grenade, bouncing around inside and shredding everyone. Granted, this system would never fit on a Humvee, and they're being replaced with MRAPS anyway... but this will also work against bigger missiles as well - Javelins, for example - the Israeli system would be ineffective against a Javelin, which strikes the TOP of a vehicle.

I will say that the Raytheon system is INFINITELY cooler, though probably infinitely more expensive. Any guesses at how much one of those missiles costs? Seems overly complicated as well - you're relying on four propulsion charges as well as what I assume is an internal inertial guidance system (doesn't appear to be wire-guided). The Israeli system just shoots buckshot.

But I mean seriously, that is just AWESOME.

Comment

yeah, that was high speed (military speak for something good). One more thing to maintain and possibly go wrong. I'm just a dumb ex-grunt, I thought our tanks already had the most advanced protection from that sort of round. As far as the pirates at sea stuff, we already use sonic and microwave weapons that work great.
                          sigpic

Comment

M1A1 Tank destroyed in RPG ambush.

The M1 series tank uses chobham composite and depleted uranium armor. Additional reactive armor and slats armor is added to the side skirts and engine rear. Covering the whole vehicle is not practical weight wise. At 70 tons combat loaded, it's too heavy for most small bridges and cannot swim.

Tanks do not have a big red "S" on their chest and can be killed.

Up to the early '70 at Camp Drum (NY), a late model M4 Sherman was driven on the .50 cal range as a moving target till one day the turret was penetrated.

The Soviets (ok the Russians) have three systems: the older Drozd/Drozd-2, and Arena. Drozd was developed about 1978, had a limited area of coverage (60 degree forward), and similar shotgun blast like the Israel’s Trophy. The unit cost was $30,000 with an approximately 80% success rate against RPG. It however caused high casualties to dismounted troops causing the Soviets to replace it with reactive armor. It mounted two quad launchers on either side of the turret at a 20 degree angle (up) and a large electronic package on the back bustle rack. Drozd-2 has a coverage of 120 degrees with five twin launchers and more sensors. Arena/Arena-E (export version) is designed to protect against RPG/LAW type weapons, ATGM, and top attack weapons (ex FGM-148 Javelin). The unit cost is about $300,000. A belt of up to twenty six charges ring the vehicle/turret. The system when armed by the vehicle commander sounds an alarm warning friendlies to run for it.

Comment

Not one piece of our equipment has that "S" on it. Especially not our men on the ground holding a rifle. Wish they did though! Thanks for the info on tanks, didn't know any of that.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X