New truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New truck

Well most of you guys might have seen my post i made about a new truck for myself. I have chosen to get a full size pickup to drive around. After i noticed how much smaller the midsizes were. Now i am stuck between an 03-07 Chevy Silverado 1500 or a 04-06 Ford f150. They will both have the 2 1/2 door (one full door and a half door on the back) I have heard some bad things about both but i just cant make a decision. I would like to know your success or horror stories about these 2 models.

Thanks
    |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Re: New truck

I've got an '02 F150 that runs like a champ. 140,000 miles with nothing but preventive/scheduled maintenance.

I drove my '82 F150 up until this year.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

stopped driving my 89 f250 because of gas prices early this summer, whenever i go to use it, starts right up, and does what i ask of it and then some, cant go wrong with a ford
      powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I know a lot of people here will argue with me on this but I really like the Toyota Tundra for full size trucks, although Toyota considered them to be mid size trucks until 2007. I just wish Toyota would release a 3/4 ton version. A buddy of mine has Toyota Tundra, An '01 I believe that is the year anyway. Anyway I have seen him pull and haul a lot of heavy stuff on his truck with no issues. Pulling he has a lot of power still, the trailer he uses to tow other trucks and cars with alone weighs in at 2 tons, so most of the time like when he pulled my 86 3/4 ton Chevy home he has probably close to 6 or 7 tons being pulled behind him. Pulled like it had nothing back there, so plenty of power. BTW, I am unsure what engine is in it. I was thinking he had the 4.0L 6 cylinder but he may have the 4.7L V8.
        Toyota also has a great warranty if buying a new one, I am sure they also have a good warranty on used Tundra's as well. Since seeing my buddy do so much with his Tundra I have been convinced that Toyota knows what they are doing and are good reliable trucks. I also know that a lot of people think Toyota's are shipped in from overseas but am here to tell you that is not all true. They have an engine manufacturing and assembly plant here in WV, it sure has helped out the unemployment rate from what I have heard. It is to far for me to drive but had thought of trying to apply for a position and then move if hired. Not the highest start out pay but $15/hour here is excellent money and I could live like a king off that.
        I thought it was a good idea to add that Toyota isn't just trying to get Americans to spend money but also helping them to make money as well. Most of the American car companies import parts from overseas as well. Also, Toyota Tundras are actually assembled in IN and TX. None are imported at all.

As for fuel consumption, I hate the full size Fords as much as the mid size Fords. People I know personally gripe all the time about how much gas their Fords guzzle. Only good stories about the Fords I have heard were about the F-250 Super Duty trucks with the diesel Power Stroke engines. I heard they are fairly easy on diesel and have excellent power. The diesel engines can be pepped up to have insane amounts of torque and HP as well increasing the MPG, as with any diesel engine but had heard the 6.6L Duramax diesels are still better for bringing out the extra ponies. Yeah, I am a diesel fanatic. I personally like the looks of the 03 and newer Chevy Silverado's or the 99 and newer Ford F-250's. I like the sound of the Cummins over all the other diesels though.

Comment

I'm with msdz. I'm not a truck guy, but I like the Tundra.

Comment

Both the Silverado and F150 have been around since the dark ages....

Either truck will serve you very well, and it's really down to personal preferenance. If you like the Chevy, get the Chevy. If you like the Ford, get the Ford. Both will suit you fine. Just make sure you don't get a V6 model....

I would choose the Chevy myself....
            |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Sorry I should have read better and seen you just had your eyes on the Ford and Chevy trucks.

IF the Ford and the Chevy is all you definitely are considering then I would get the Chevy. I always have bad luck from Ford, seems like I do more walking when I have owned them. I must be able to smell the lemon fragrance in the air and always pick the lemon Ford.
              I also liked the fuel economy the Chevy trucks get but that also depends on a few things such as 2WD or 4WD, the gear ratios of the axles, tire size, plus the HP of the engine.

As I had said before in the other post you had I worked for an auto auction and drove a ton of different vehicles, some just short distances and some may have been a few hundred miles. The Chevy(GM) vehicles always got good mileage compared to the other trucks, sometimes you may come across a Ford that would get great mileage but that was rare. A lot depends on how well a vehicle does on fuel economy: engine HP, transmission type, gear ratio, and tire size. Everything has to be just right to get good mileage from any vehicle but most Fords I had drove seemed underpowered for their size and weight. I am real particular about fuel economy these days, I know the costs of gas has decreased a bit lately but I am expecting another huge increase in gas again shortly. So I am worried about how well a vehicle is going to do with mileage most of all cause that is the one thing you can't get out of doing, fueling up if you want to go somewhere.

My buddy owns his own oil well service company and all he will buy for field trucks are Chevy's, he swears by their reliability and cost to own he says is cheaper than Ford trucks. Of course we are talking about trucks that are in and out of muddy access roads and are carrying a lot of weight in the bed at all times. He says minor upkeep is all he ever has to do with the Chevy trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                ...cost to own he says is cheaper than Ford trucks.
                Hmmm... Interesting. Even though Edmunds rates the '06 Ford higher than the Chevy, the Ford does cost slightly more to own according to their formula:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/for...13383/cto.html

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/che...56244/cto.html
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I am still stuck it seems as though both are basically good trucks and their fuel economy on paper is within a mile. I have seen many for f150s driven around the farms out here in california. I have also heard that the chevy door handles are a little weak

thats for the input guys
                  |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    Hmmm... Interesting. Even though Edmunds rates the '06 Ford higher than the Chevy, the Ford does cost slightly more to own according to their formula:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/for...13383/cto.html

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/che...56244/cto.html
                    I wonder exactly why there is such a difference in cost though. By the chart given it wasn't in gas savings. what repairs and maintenance are they doing to the Ford truck and Chevy to be such a difference? Knowing what they had to do to the vehicles would really help out instead of just saying scheduled and unscheduled maintenance.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X