Comcast File Sharing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comcast File Sharing

Is Comcast still blocking bit torrents? I have seen reports that it has agreed to stop by the end of the year (that report was written back in march). It has been around 4-5 months since I have used comcast. When I did use bit torrents over comcast it worked, but it was not super fast speeds but I was ok with it.

Moving into a new place and I looking into comcast again. However I am concerned if torrents will not work at all, or be very slow and useless. Anyone have recent experince with comcast and torrents?

Re: Comcast File Sharing

Charter has the same policy I think, and they seriously throttle down torrent speeds. I was paying for the 10mb service and never saw speeds above around 200k. Where as the basic service with Time Warner that I believe was 5mb service, I'd commonly see speeds around 1mb/s. Stupid charter. I paid for the fast service for fast downloads, and it was completely useless. I scaled back to their 5mb service, and I saw no difference in internet speeds whatsoever.

Oh yeah, and they ratted me out to HBO for downloading a single episode of a show. Got a nasty little letter from them. Comcast does the very same thing as they are also happy participants in the DMCA. After that whole thing, I completely stopped using torrents. A shame really, as I believe it's a fantastic use of bandwidth. Now that I'm back in San Antonio and back with Time Warner, I might start using torrents again. Only legal stuff of course, though.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by RedTalon View Post
      Is Comcast still blocking bit torrents? I have seen reports that it has agreed to stop by the end of the year (that report was written back in march). It has been around 4-5 months since I have used comcast. When I did use bit torrents over comcast it worked, but it was not super fast speeds but I was ok with it.

Moving into a new place and I looking into comcast again. However I am concerned if torrents will not work at all, or be very slow and useless. Anyone have recent experince with comcast and torrents?
      Are you sure you had your ports forwarded correctly? Did you have uPNP port-mapping enabled in uTorrent and your router?

Comment

Originally posted by RedTalon View Post

A possible way to get around the throttling is to use "protocol encryption". I've heard it works for some and doesn't work for others.

Other than that, quite a few open source projects distribute using the BT system. Comcast is just another DMCA entity that isn't all too well educated when it comes to who uses BT and for what. They see some people using it to illegally distribute content, and they jump the gun and put a blanket throttle on the whole BT scene.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm not sure of the percentages (legal users Vs. non). I was under the impression that most used it to share protected content. Intellectual property to be exact.
          sigpic

Comment

I was told that switching to different ports and setting encryption you can still get by the limiting. I know my cable company sent emails around stating they were also limiting torrent programs. I was told they needed to know the ports the program uses by default so the cable companies can limit them, I am unsure though. Anyway, i have Utorrent set up for an off the wall odd port, so far I have not seen no decrease in speed if there are enough people seeding what I am getting.

Comment

Originally posted by Charcoal_Grey View Post
              I'm not sure of the percentages (legal users Vs. non). I was under the impression that most used it to share protected content. Intellectual property to be exact.
              Most people use their cars to illegally drive over the speed limit - doesn't mean every car should be equipped with a thermite charge that goes off if you exceed 65mph :p

Comment

Could be. But I download movies I have purchased. I don't want to do the whole decryption thing but I also don't want the kids tearing up the discs.

Is that illegal? Technically it probably is but I have no ethical or moral problems doing this.
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                  Could be. But I download movies I have purchased. I don't want to do the whole decryption thing but I also don't want the kids tearing up the discs.

Is that illegal? Technically it probably is but I have no ethical or moral problems doing this.
                  I'm right there with you!

Thankfully, most new releases are including a "digital copy" that is iPod friendly.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post

Isn't it great? Buy a DVD, download a version to your hard disk. :p
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My friend gets over 1mB/sec DL speed and 250kB/sec seeding on comcast. :icon14:

Comment

Comcast was supposed to have lifted Torrent throttling some time ago when they were called out on it.
                        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Probably the biggest (legal) use of BT I can think of is WoW patches.

That's 8+ Million users on patch day. Eve also has a BT option, but with less users, it's only really useful ON patch day. I think you'll end up seeing more and more of this from the gaming industry. The cost savings for what are becoming close to 500MB - 1GB standard patches are astronomical over the star topology download model.
                          Do or do not, there is no try....
                          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

I use utorrent and get 1.2MB/s down and 128kB/s up all the time (service is for 10m/1m)

the megabit to megabyte conversion - 10mbit = 1.25mByte and 1mbit = 125kByte - both dead on my service cap.

and gunjunkie - you are forgetting linux distros. I dl them constantly.
                            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                              Charter has the same policy I think, and they seriously throttle down torrent speeds. I was paying for the 10mb service and never saw speeds above around 200k. Where as the basic service with Time Warner that I believe was 5mb service, I'd commonly see speeds around 1mb/s. Stupid charter. I paid for the fast service for fast downloads, and it was completely useless. I scaled back to their 5mb service, and I saw no difference in internet speeds whatsoever.
                              I have no issue with charter ATM outside some ping issues every once in a while. Getting my full 16mbit...torrents or any other means if the server/peers can keep up. So if they are throttling then its very limited in coverage.
                              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X