Novice Tea and Coffee drinker, here.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice Tea and Coffee drinker, here.

Well with the discussion of why men have it better and the tangent taken with Earl Gray Tea.
    I thought that perhaps there are aficionados of tea and or coffee who would be willing to share their knowledge.
    I don't mind doing mail order for items.
    If you know of a product that can be easily obtained at a retail store. So I can try it ASAP that too would be great.

Re: Novice Tea and Coffee drinker, here.

If you want good coffee, it's gonna cost you.
    The BEST way to do the coffee thing is actually roasting and grinding your own.
    My preference for coffee/tea sites would be Green Beanery. They not only sell green beans, but also roasters, grinders, and all types of devices for brewing.

For roasters, you can even just use a hot air pop corn popper, although it is a little more dangerous than a conventional roaster. For a grinder, find yourself a nice variable grind conical burr grinder, which you may be able to pick up locally. Easiest and cheapest method of brewing, would be the press pot, AKA the french press. Makes a nice strong coffee.

If you're going to be doing this, I'd first suggest that you just pick up a press pot and some different types of pre-ground coffees and give them a try. Find out if you'll enjoy the hobby before delving in, because there isn't much sense in spending the money on something that isn't going to be used.

That is about the most advice I can give you from my limited knowledge and limited time enjoying coffee. You're probably better off looking at a coffee community for advice.
    It's Gaming
    Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

I'm not picky about where I get it, but I own an espresso machine and buy and grind the beans myself. Yum!

Comment

Earl Grey tea is pretty good stuff, but so is a Chai Spice, its one of my favorites. Celestial Seasonings brand is good. http://www.celestialseasonings.com/p...as/india-spice

Also, Twinnings is the other pretty good brand of tea. Notably, their Earl Grey, Irish Breakfast, and English Breakfast tea's. http://www.twiningsusa.com/

Comment

It's hard to go wrong with any good arabica bean that has been darkly roasted. (I worked at Starbucks for 6 1/2 years and was a "coffee expert".)

I prefer coffee, but the stuff makes my face break out and I'm too old to have that happen. Now I drink tea. I found this great place online that sells really good tea and also has a lot of information if you're interested.

www.algabarstore.com/tea.html (I can't link to the site, but if you put the http and www in front, you should get there.)

The Double Happiness rocks if you need your caffeine and the Enchanted Evening is great right before bed or after dinner.

In general - and the same goes for coffee - the lighter the tea/coffee, the higher the caffeine content. So a really strong, dark roast has less caffeine than a "weaker", lighter roast. Green tea is high caffeine, black tea is less.

Hope that helps!
          Last edited by CingularDuality; 12-23-2008, 10:47 PM. Reason: made link hot

Comment

Jamaican Blue Mountain.....Expensive but oh so smooth!

When I lived in Hawaii I stocked up on Kona coffe and all their different blends. Only place I can get that now is at a World Market. If you have one of them in your area hit it up. Closest one to me is Orlando.

Roasting is too much of a process for quick outings. You can do that if you take it on as a hobby. Little bit of studying and testing can be on your way. I used to do it when I lived in Seattle. My friend and I even had a decent sized roaster and sold on the side.

If you are looking for real quick then you can head to a Starbucks, Walmart, Publilx and buy whole roasted beans. Depending on your preferences you can get a Light, Medium or Dark roast. If you like Starbucks roasts then you will be getting a Medium to dark roast. It usually depends on which region of the US your in...Starbucks in Seattle, WA are a lot darker roasts then here in Tampa, Florida.

But if you do goto a Publix or Walmart you will be dealing with a few Brand names for roasted Whole Bean...Millstone, Brothers, Starbucks (Pre-Packaged) and SBC (Seattles Best Coffee). Not only will you be able to check out the different roasts but they also have the flavored coffee that you can try. Sometimes I will get a Nice dark breakfast blend and then add a bit of the flavored coffee..

But Whole bean is the way to go. Get a nice Grinder for yourself. Play around with the different flavors, roasts and tastes. It is almost like a wine taster, you have to sift through the different levels of acidity, darkness, oils, boldness and flavors.

Recently for my morning cup my wife bought me a Tassimo machine. It is a single hit machine with no fuss and no mess. Coffee is decent and there are various brands and flavors for it and it is not too expensive. On the weekends I still prefer my Drip Maker or Press so I can make 12 Cups of my Kona coffee to enjoy through the morning but my Tassimo machine is so easy before work.

Another thing to think about is storage when it comes to coffee. There has always been a debate about freezing your coffee. But if you are going to drink it on a regular bases just try and keep it in a Air Tight Container. To store for longer periods of time you can use the Freezer but it is always better to buy fresh and grind yourself.

This is all taking me back to when I lived in HAwaii and on the North Shore they had a place called the Coffee Gallery! Would go up their on the weekends to have breakfast and they Huge Roasters that were always roasting up fresh batches!!! MMMM!!!
            HAVE FUN!!!
            Last edited by Quest Shady; 12-23-2008, 05:05 PM. Reason: Added Info

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Originally posted by =KOF=CR8Z View Post
              algabarstore.com/tea.html (I can't link to the site, but if you put the http and www in front, you should get there.)

In general - and the same goes for coffee - the lighter the tea/coffee, the higher the caffeine content. So a really strong, dark roast has less caffeine than a "weaker", lighter roast. Green tea is high caffeine, black tea is less.

Hope that helps!
              linked for you and everyone else
              http://www.algabarstore.com/tea.html

The site you listed actually contradicts your statement about caffeine content:
              http://www.algabarstore.com/blacktea.html
              Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone.
                My sister has a friend in Hawaii who is more than willing to ship me Kona Coffee.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of coffee, but I love tea. My extended family in Taiwan grows Oolong tea (烏龍茶) -- this is a semi-oxidized tea, kind of in between green and black teas; they regularly sent some to my parents in the US so I grew up drinking the stuff.

I generally prefer Asian teas to European teas. If there are any Asian markets in your area be sure to check out the variety they have in stock.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

MMMmmm, I love coffee. Think I'll drink me some after dinner tonight.
                    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
                      http://www.algabarstore.com/tea.html

http://www.algabarstore.com/blacktea.html
                      I think he was mentioning Green Tea...Everyone thinks it is very light and no caffeine...

http://www.medicinalfoodnews.com/vol10/2006/green_tea

Comment

I don't consume much of coffee or tea, but I like to have a good cup of Earl Gray every so often with a touch of honey stirred in. :)

I still have about 3 dozen bags of Earl Gray (two cheap brand boxes and one Tazo/Starbucks branded box).
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by amu107.9 View Post
                          Thanks for the info everyone.
                          My sister has a friend in Hawaii who is more than willing to ship me Kona Coffee.
                          OOOH if she lives in Hawaii she will get it for good deals plus there are some other brands of coffee besides Kona! Kona is just the most popular...

In fact when we were loading up for West Pac (6 Months away from Port) All of the SOnar Techs would load up half their racks with Kona Coffee and Coca Cola...LOL! You know when a Sonar Tech opened up his rack because the smell of coffee...MMMM!

Comment

Heh..Hobby/Addiction.. When does the line blurr? I guess when you down a pot or two a day and it doesn't matter how many scoops of coffee or where it's bought (convenient store/fast food joint/starbucks).. you just need your fix. Six years of the midnight shift and now office work has me addicted to Coffee.. In fact I drink it right before bed most of the time to relax me..
                            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by Catman1975 View Post
                              [ur]hww.algabarstore.com/tea.html[/url]

[ur]http//ww.algabarstore.com/blacktea.html[/url]
                              You're right, I think. I was always told that green tea had the higher caffeine content, but a couple of quick google searches proved otherwise. 5mg per oz. of caffeine in black tea vs. 2.5mg/oz in green.

With regards to coffee though, I think the lighter the roast, the higher the caffeine. Reason being, darker roasts are roasted longer and thus "roast out" more of the caffeine. At least that's what I learned in coffee school. Turns out it was crap with regards to tea, but there ya' go.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X