Teamspeak Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teamspeak Discussion

After some interesting conversation on teamspeak, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in having a teamspeak discussion group. Something that would meet on a regular basis in a non-gaming channel of teamspeak to have intelligent discussion. If anyone is interested please feel free to reply and leave comments.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
    "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
    of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
    To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
    - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Re: Teamspeak Discussion

I don't know if I qualify for that 'intelligent' part.

My ONLY concern would be to insure certain rules of etiquette. If we tried to make this like the sandpit, I think it could easily get nasty. Verbal communications of that form can go south a lot faster than written. I would NOT want to be there during a discussion of Obama/McCain or something similar. Other than that, I like the idea.

OOOO OOO BOOK CLUB!

Today, on the TG book club, we will be discussing: Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss.
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skylark View Post
      I don't know if I qualify for that 'intelligent' part.

My ONLY concern would be to insure certain rules of etiquette. If we tried to make this like the sandpit, I think it could easily get nasty. Verbal communications of that form can go south a lot faster than written. I would NOT want to be there during a discussion of Obama/McCain or something similar. Other than that, I like the idea.

OOOO OOO BOOK CLUB!

Today, on the TG book club, we will be discussing: Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss.
      I agree with Skylark. Discussions in the Sandbox already get heated. If we start bringing topics normally discussed on the forum into TS, we might end up having "who can be the loudest" matches. We would need to lay down some rules and I'd say a neutral third-party needs to moderate discussions (think Sergeant-at-Arms).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That sounds good. I vote for the TG book club!

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          I agree with Skylark. Discussions in the Sandbox already get heated. If we start bringing topics normally discussed on the forum into TS, we might end up having "who can be the loudest" matches. We would need to lay down some rules and I'd say a neutral third-party needs to moderate discussions (think Sergeant-at-Arms).
          Well, I'm not sure if a neutral third party has to be the one to moderate the discussions. I can be biased in my opinion, but still see the value in having both sides express their opinions. It's the method that counts.

As far as the sandbox Obama/McCain discussions go, that depends. If the conversation is about basic policy disagreements, then that would be acceptable. Why? Because it isn't talking about the character of Obama/McCain and, instead, focuses on the philosophical differences between them.

By keeping the conversation in the realm of philosophical thesis, it keeps it away from degrading into rhetorical fallacies like ad hominems and red herrings/smokescreens.

[I would like to also note that everyone is entitled to formulate their own opinions in a discussion. However, no one is entitled to their opinion to be free of criticism in such a setting.]

In any case, keep the replies coming guys/gals. If we were to start something small, what time would you all have available each week?

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
          "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
          of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
          To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"

Comment

As the one that does most of the moderating in the Sandbox, I think this could get ugly. Here in the forums, where people have time to think and slowly type out their thoughts, people still get carried away and let their emotions rule their responses. In a chat room or teamspeak channel, I can only imagine that it would be much, much worse.

Go for it, though. My schedule is too tight and erratic to be able to attend, but I'd like to know how it goes!
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Group conversation in TS can get hairy just because you'll end up with a lot of people talking over each other without any way to figure out who wants to talk next. The conversational cues of in-person conversation make a big difference when they're absent in a free for all group discussion over TS.

Same goes for conference calls at work sometimes. Just something to keep in mind if you go forward.
              "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
              He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Maybe, but that's why it would be moderated. People would have to wait their turn, and not exceed a limit of time (although they can ask the group for an exception of a minute or so to finish their point).

Still, I think it can be done if moderated well.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic

Comment

I'm not a voice person. I have enough problem using VOIP in game. I hate parties because I don't process fast enough to keep up with a conversation. Forums are my natural social environment, because they give me time to think about what is said and respond without finding the conversation has ended hours ago.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Teamspeak itself has the capabilites to silence a group of people. The way it works:
                    1. You set up a "moderated" channel. This means clicking the Moderated button when creating the room. This allows people who are granted "Voice" rights by the Channel Admin to be the only one to talk. Only the CA can grant these rights. Theres the moderator.
                    2. A non-voice user can request voice by going up to Self and then clicking Request Voice OR they can simply hit Channel Commander which turns the normal Green light into a Red light notifying the Moderator they wish to speak.

I have discovered these in my years of interaction with teamspeak. I find the "book club" idea intriguing although I may not be able to attend every time its hosted even if on the weekends, although I'd definitely like someone to Record these and host them somewhere on |TG|. Again Recording is another function of teamspeak.

Comment

Sounds like you're looking for talk radio.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                        I'm not a voice person. I have enough problem using VOIP in game. I hate parties because I don't process fast enough to keep up with a conversation. Forums are my natural social environment, because they give me time to think about what is said and respond without finding the conversation has ended hours ago.
                        We could always have a combination of the two. Posting a topic in sandbox perhaps (since that would be the most applicable forum) and follow up on teamspeak for those who would like to. That way everyone can join in the discussion in one way or another.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                          As the one that does most of the moderating in the Sandbox, I think this could get ugly. Here in the forums, where people have time to think and slowly type out their thoughts, people still get carried away and let their emotions rule their responses. In a chat room or teamspeak channel, I can only imagine that it would be much, much worse.

Go for it, though. My schedule is too tight and erratic to be able to attend, but I'd like to know how it goes!
                          :( Does that mean you'll still make it every so often?
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            :( Does that mean you'll still make it every so often?
                            I'd love to if I can!
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I would like to listen in, if nothing else.
                              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X