Deer sausage recipes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer sausage recipes?

Anyone know of any good recipes? I think I want to give it a shot this year. Have a small smoker and a buncha venison. Was thinking about this because a friend brought me a stick of jalapeno and cheese venison summer sausage. Darn good stuff.
    sigpic

Re: Deer sausage recipes?

Making it all into sausage? If you are, just substitute it where you would normally use regular pork sausage.

If you aren't, hopefully you have saved the backstrap (muscles that run down the back on either side of the backbone). Cut them up into slightly bigger than bite-sized pieces, marinate in a mixture of Worchestershire sauce, a little "Liquid Smoke", and Everglades (Found in many stores in Florida and online). Wrap half of them individually in bacon and skewer them alternating with the non-bacon pieces. Cook over a grill...perfection. We generally eat them without anything else. It's kind of a delicacy of sorts and you don't want anything else taking up room in your stomach other than this...

Affectionately call it "Backstrap and Bacon"

Comment

All kinds of recipes can be found on the internet for making your own deer sausage. I personally love making deer salami and summer sausage. Some will go for jerky of course. I suggest looking at some recipes on the internet and deciding for yourself what sounds the best to you. Some people love mixing the deer meat with pork sausage so it actually has a better sausage taste. I don't, if I am going to eat venison then I want to taste it, not pork. Reason for most people doing this is to get rid of the "gamy" taste. I usually take one piece of meat and fry it up, if it taste "gamy" then I jar(can) the rest. Excellent for making a deer stew when the weather outside is cold as heck. Hmmm, think I will get a jar out and make a pot of stew tomorrow.

The outer tenderloin(backstrap as referred to earlier) I love cutting them in nice little rectangles and frying them up coated with flour in LARD. Guess I am to old fashioned when it comes to cooking, everything gets done up in lard or bacon grease. Oh, I love the neck for a nice roast. The biggest majority of the deer gets ground up though, that way I can make salami, jerky, and summer sausage.

Comment

I got some summer sausage for a xmas present from my aunt and uncle. I sliced it relatively thin and had it with hot fondue cheese poured over the slices. It's the store-bought Swiss Knight fondue in the pouch. I stirred in a teaspoon of crushed garlic and threw in a dash of pepper sauce. Whenever the cheese started to go cold, I'd toss the plate in the microwave for 20 seconds until it started to bubble again. Made a nice snack while playing WoW.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I am with Orion..I usually substitute it anywhere I would use regular breakfast sausage or ground pork. I usually add onion powder, crushed red pepper, ground garlic, black pepper and a bit of oregano when I am running it thru the grinder. Mixing it 2:1 with regular breakfast sausage seems to be our favorite. I even got the in-laws from Canada to liking my "mix"..! :)

I have never had anyone spit it out or anything so I guess it must be "ok"! LOL!

Comment

How do you can it msdz (my freezer is really full and canning would be a good way to store it)? I keep the backstrap seperate, and pretty much grind everything else up. I love summer sausage and salami, so those are going to be the first that I try to make. I will also eventually try to make bologna. Thanks for the replies :)
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spur View Post
              How do you can it msdz (my freezer is really full and canning would be a good way to store it)? I keep the backstrap seperate, and pretty much grind everything else up. I love summer sausage and salami, so those are going to be the first that I try to make. I will also eventually try to make bologna. Thanks for the replies :)
              Well, I learned from my ex mother-in-law and she showed me how to do about 30 quarts at a time. I get a big old timey wash tub, build a huge fire outside and then cut the deer meat into chunks that would be good for stews and soups, after that stuff the deer meat into quart jars as tight as you can pack it. Place you jars in the wash tub and add water as high as you can without it going into the jar. Put the tub on the fire then let the water come to a slight boil and cook for about 4 hours. I add a small chunk of onion to each quart, right on top of the deer meat especially if it has a gamey taste to it, the onion helps cover the gamey taste. Some people will add a bullion cube to each quart as well, I don't cause I think it makes the deer meat taste to rich.
              After about 4 hours you remove each jar very carefully cause they can explode cause of the heat, place a canning lid on it and let it cool down, as it cools down it will seal the lid tightly. Should be good for a long time if done right. Even when fully cooked the deer meat will still have the slight pink color to it that would make you think it is not completely done. Even if you think it is not and want to cook it longer you can as long as you keep the water inside the tub. This can be done on the stove top as well but of course you can't do as many at once. Just remember if you are doing this on a stove top it takes about 4 hours.
              I have seen people take fresh hog sausage, squirrel, rabbit or just about any other type of meat and can it here in WV. I never knew meat could be done like that till I moved here and seen it done.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X