Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Game Piracy Article

Article: http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

This is one of the most lucid, impartial, and researched articles on video game piracy I have ever read. It is blunt, honest, and all facts are supported by references. The article is not a biased tirade to veil laziness, profit, or any other immoral reason -- it is, most refreshingly, unbiased and impartial.

I highly suggest you read it. In the span of ten pages, it covers a ridiculous range of topics, with the main focus on PC video game piracy. Ideas presented within:
    • Why should a book writer be less entitled to profits than a house builder?
    • In the absence of piracy, would all pirated copies result in a sale?
    • How ironic is it that the various P2P methods acknowledge and try to combat free riders (ie. leechers) when the entire system they've set up is essentially that: free riding?
    • Chicken or the egg? Does DRM incite piracy, or is the existence of piracy the reason DRM was implemented?
    • How many PC games are being sold in comparison to direct console counterparts?
    • To what extent is piracy to blame for the decline of PC gaming?
    • How have companies adapted to the rise in piracy?
    • Exactly what is so evil and horrible about StarForce and SecuROM?
    • What will happen if Steam acquires a monopoly on the online distribution market?

This is a definite must read for any PC gamer, or anyone remotely interested in online piracy and counter-measures against it.

Re: Video Game Piracy Article

Well I just finished speed reading it. I skimmed over certain sections, I admit it :row__593:

That was a very well written and informative piece. It did open my eyes to some areas of the buisness and how wide spread piracy is.

It doesn't look good for the future of PC games though as we are shooting ourselves in the foot.

I have a friend who pirates on occasion, the thing that bugs him are the quality of games lately vs. the hype. The marketing now is so huge for some titles, take for example Far Cry 2 that when the actual game is released it's near impossible to meet the level of hype created. Hence he obtains a free copy to test it out because based off hype alone it's hard to determine what games are actually good vs. well marketed. Example being Far Cry 2 vs. Fallout 3. My friend bought FC2 and found that it was a 6 out 10 type game where as he obtained a free copy of FO3 and found it to be a 9/10 game. FO3had much less marketing and flew under his radar compared to FC2 which he had high hopes for. The more demo suggestion may just be the answer to his problem?

Not an excuse by a long shot because if he try's out a pirated copy and likes it, in theory he should purchase a retail version, something he fails to do. But it does speak to the crazy hype and expectations behind many new releases. It puts games in a tough spot for sure.

Like I said, a good read and it brings to light some facts on a grey subject area.

Comment

I read it in its entirety (I was bored in my Business in Social Context class) and learned much about piracy that I even didn't know before. The figures were astounding but equally astounding was how many misconceptions existed pertaining piracy.

Comment

I don't mean to fag it up now, but last night I installed Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (Manchester United 4), and I couldn't play it. I had the iso on my HD for a while, and I felt pretty terrible that I had the money and the means to acquire it, and worse still, someone had worked hard on this, and made it good.
        So, this afternoon, legit copy of R6V2 for Mr. Zho.

Comment

That was a very good article
          The few pages on the old and new business models were fascinating, really fascinating
          It seems to me the businesses involved have adapted to the changing marketplace in a creative manner

I now fully see that Console is King. PC's may or may not get a console port
          The main money on PCs is in MMORPG and that model is set to storm the console market

All in all, a well researched article
          Thanks for the link, Zhohar

Comment

I say the biggest majority of the people do download pirated versions of a game but won't admit to it cause if they do they will get looked down on for doing it.

Comment

Well I will fully admit, I have pirated games before. However, that is only because there was no demo released for them. If I played the game for longer than ~1 week, I would by it.

I am not sure if thats listed as a reason (havent read the artical yet), but it is the ONLY one for me, (demos) and I know it is for others as well.

Another artical, bit older but still valid. Publisher asked why people pirate. http://www.positech.co.uk/talkingtopirates.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hellswaters View Post
                Well I will fully admit, I have pirated games before. However, that is only because there was no demo released for them. If I played the game for longer than ~1 week, I would by it.

I am not sure if thats listed as a reason (havent read the artical yet), but it is the ONLY one for me, (demos) and I know it is for others as well.

Another artical, bit older but still valid. Publisher asked why people pirate. http://www.positech.co.uk/talkingtopirates.html
                I too have done this before. I had downloaded a demo of a game a long time ago and thought the game sucked. I ended up going over to a friends house about a week later and saw the same game he was playing and it just blew me away how different the demo for the game was compared to the full game.
                I will play a pirated game for a week at the most, usually it is only a few days though. If it caught my attention and kept it for a week then it is time for me to support that game. If I can't get interested in the game it will get deleted off the computer completely. Pains me sometimes to delete the game even after I bought it but I will completely delete it and install the retail copy so there may not be any chances of a conflict with cracks or whatever was used to get the pirated game to run. Main reason it pains me though is cause I will even get rid of any saves I may have had.

Comment

I haven't read the article.

When I first joined TG, I occasionally pirated games. I can think of one in particular that I pirated in order to play the main game that TG (Network 42/XLII.com) played at the time. If I hadn't pirated it, I would not have purchased the game. I simply didn't have the funds to buy the game at the time. Now, years later, I've bought the game three times (bargain bin box, Steam, and then in another Steam bundle). I've also purchased every single sequel/add-on for the game and will purchase every future release in that franchise. It's THAT good.

This supports the theory that the majority of pirates would not, in fact, purchase the IP that they're pirating. Adobe Photoshop is a great example of this. This product is insanely popular due to piracy. It's now the industry standard with almost no competition due to piracy. And 99% of those pirates would never, ever purchase such software legitimately. It's simply too expensive. If piracy of photo manipulation software were magically made impossible, 99% of the pirates would make do with a lesser product. Likewise with music and film. If piracy were impossible, they would simply do without. This theory attempts to support the idea that piracy benefits the industry much more than it hurts an industry. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that this applies to games as much as it does to other intellectual property.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X