so called "bunny hopping"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so called "bunny hopping"

i never actually found the rules. but what are the rules on bunny hopping. if i get shot at and i jump once is that bunny hopping. or twice? i'm what you hard core pr guys would call a bf2 noob proabably, so i just needed to get calrifacation,(sorry thats proably spelled wong) and im not sure about all the rules i just "kinda" do what the sl tells me to do but i take what ever path i feel is the better line of approach. just wondering the exact rules?

Re: so called "bunny hopping"

Simple rule of thumb: only jump when trying to pass obstacles. Everything else is either against the rules or goofing around (something you shouldn't do).

Comment

Im pretty sure the rule is that if you are jumping strictly for the purpose of evading fire it is considered bunny hopping - there's probably a link someone will post here that will give you the precise wording.

Comment

Long story short..It's against the rules, the primer and will get you kicked and possibly banned if the offender keeps doing it. Also it's not a particular effective exploit for avoiding fire anyway lol. As a zealous bunny killer I can tell you that once your opponent calms down and exercises trigger control he will simply shoot you in mid air or wait for you to hit the ground. A grenade in and around the feet area usually works rather nicely to.

It's something that will generallly lead to lots of complaints in all chat, the players hate it and the admins are quick to stamp it out. One to avoid at all costs. If you do it accidentally fess up and apologise, I've hit the space bar before in a blind fumbling panic and as long as you are genuine it usually just raises a chortle, plus a lot of the players at TG will have no problems riddling you with bullets however much you bounce about!

Comment

If you're already bunny hopping, you've screwed up somewhere. If you're so unaware that the only recourse is to hop ... well, you need to work on a lot more than reading the server rules.

Comment

Easiest way to get over bunny hopping is to rebind the jump key, no matter what game.

Comment

I will say, that sometimes i literally jump in my seat, i.e. i get that real-time scared feeling, it probably comes from the sound being loud in my ears, a squad mate hooks around the corner as i am laying there waiting for the next enemy to come by, or if i am running and encounter an enemy. In those times when i literally jump in my seat i have bunny hopped, so to say, its just out of reflex, or i press the wrong key and go to scoped mode or something else, and then i laugh about it, especially when someone write in global "nice bunny hop player, etc" which i know is made towards me.

It happens, but as opposed to others, i don't make it part of the tactical style of my gameplay, those who do, well, that's their own damn fault and they will be punished for it, I am glad that it isn't accepted at TG, and that along with teamwork and maturity was one of the reasons I really decided to join up and be apart of the community and the servers.

Now I despise it more then ever and wonder why anyone would ever think about doing and make it part of their game play style.
              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
              Level I HazMat Technician
              NYS EMT-B
              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Is it really so hard for game developers to fix their bounding box calculations to catch this? Presumably it happens because they're do a simple 2-D intercept of round to target and, because the person is off the ground, the round misses. It's as if one was playing Doom (which was limited to 2D math with a 3D view), not a modern 3-D game.

(That's a criticism of DICE et al, not TG!)
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                  Is it really so hard for game developers to fix their bounding box calculations to catch this? Presumably it happens because they're do a simple 2-D intercept of round to target and, because the person is off the ground, the round misses. It's as if one was playing Doom (which was limited to 2D math with a 3D view), not a modern 3-D game.

(That's a criticism of DICE et al, not TG!)
                  I'm not totally understanding what you're saying here (Obviously need sleep/COFFEE), but from what I can comprehend, I think you're basically saying that rounds don't hit a person because they're in mid air? If so, then rounds can actually hit a player jumping in mid air in BF2. It usually ends up with them being shot, then flying backwards further than normal; something I enjoy seeing.

Either way, 'eliminating' bunny hopping in BF2 isn't an easy feat in a developer's point of view. Since jumping is connected to stamina, which is connected to the sprinting system, it'd be hard to get rid of jumping and not mess up sprinting.

Anyways...

Originally posted by Official Tactical Gamer PR Rules
                  3. Bunnyhopping

Bunnyhopping, or jumping repeatedly to avoid fire, is not allowed.
                  That's how the official rules describes bunnyhopping. My definition of it is pretty much the same. I define bunnyhopping as "jumping to avoid fire". One jump, two jumps, ten jumps, you're bunnyhopping, and it's against the rules.

| |

Comment

Originally posted by whistler View Post
                    Easiest way to get over bunny hopping is to rebind the jump key, no matter what game.
                    This is a very good suggestion...

I will admit that I had aquired the very bad habit in Vanilla of imediatly jumping when I was being fired on, and then running for cover...

I discovered PR in .5
                    TG in .6 and admittedly it was tough to retrain my brain.. If startled I would often Jump.. Though I am happy to say, I have been completely broken of this now, and now I Kneel there..

Taking My Lead like a Man!!

Rebinding the key would have made this easier...

Comment

Originally posted by MarineSeaknight View Post
                      rounds can actually hit a player jumping in mid air in BF2. It usually ends up with them being shot, then flying backwards further than normal; something I enjoy seeing.
                      If that's the case, it seems like bunny hopping can only hurt the person doing it, and there's no need for a special rule. I thought the problem was that it made one impossible to hit, due to 2D hitscan programming.

Wasn't there a game or mod that made such hopping reduce your own weapon accuracy, as well? I think the result was communicated by a growing target reticle that visually indicated the dropping accuracy.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                        I thought the problem was that it made one impossible to hit, due to 2D hitscan programming.
                        It's actually a lot more complicated than that, Scratch.

First, for the official version:
                        I've emailed both DICE and PunkBuster. DICE was unresponsive, and Punkbuster was prompt. Their response was, essentially "We can't say anything because we have a contract with EA."
                        The man I contacted did allude that this was a problem, but he could not discuss it officially.

The official stance of the TG BF2142 admins (far as I understand it) is that neither bunnyhopping, prone spamming, or dolphin diving are an exploit of the game engine. We forbid them due only to our simulation rules -- you wouldn't bunnyhop when shot at in real life, so don't do it ingame.

The problem is that players who have played this game enough know that the hitboxes are glitched while the action is happening. It's true that you can hit a person in midair, regardless of which of those three actions he's performing, but it's very glitchy. SOmetimes you'll hit them, and sometimes you won't.
                        Even when lag is not in question (ie. local LAN game) the hitboxes are glitched by those actions.

If you're not convinced -- think of it this way. Why would all the top competitive clans do it? Why would the cream of the crop in terms of skill still bunnyhop when caught offguard?
                        Because it offers an advantage. If it offered no advantage, they wouldn't do it.

Comment

So it still comes down to bugs in the hitbox calculations.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhohar View Post
                            The problem is that players who have played this game enough know that the hitboxes are glitched while the action is happening. It's true that you can hit a person in midair, regardless of which of those three actions he's performing, but it's very glitchy. SOmetimes you'll hit them, and sometimes you won't.
                            Even when lag is not in question (ie. local LAN game) the hitboxes are glitched by those actions.
                            Sounds like a game engine exploit to me...
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I think "exploit" means a player is taking advantage of a bug or a design compromise for unfair advantage. The most common design compromise is giving the client excess information to allow it to predict what the server will decide, and that's what allows cheats like wall hacks (which reveal the location of players when one should not know that). In this case, I think the exploit is of a bug, not a design compromise.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X