The Book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Book

Throughout our lives, books have inspired and expanded the way we perceived the world. If there was 3 book you can save from a burning library, what would it be?. Excluding the Bible and The Secret (it isn't really a secret).

Re: The Book

I wonder if, for those planning long and remote deployments (eg. submarines or polar expeditions), it would be the same 3 books one was allowed to take in limited cargo space.

I'd say not, as for the latter condition, I might take a Bible as close as I could get to the original language (ie. not King James) and the two volumes of Asimov's Guide to the Bible. (Recall that I'm an atheist.)

If I'm trying to save an irreplaceable book, I'd probably not choose those. Let's say I have to leave Earth forever and I need to choose which books to take with me. I might grab a Heinlein that includes lots of Lazarus Long quotes. I'd look for a good medical text. (Not a clue what that might be.) And perhaps a book full of classical sheet music.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I wonder if, for those planning long and remote deployments (eg. submarines or polar expeditions), it would be the same 3 books one was allowed to take in limited cargo space.

I'd say not, as for the latter condition, I might take a Bible as close as I could get to the original language (ie. not King James) and the two volumes of Asimov's Guide to the Bible. (Recall that I'm an atheist.)

If I'm trying to save an irreplaceable book, I'd probably not choose those. Let's say I have to leave Earth forever and I need to choose which books to take with me. I might grab a Heinlein that includes lots of Lazarus Long quotes. I'd look for a good medical text. (Not a clue what that might be.) And perhaps a book full of classical sheet music.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

When I was a kid, I LOVED to read. I read more than I watched TV. But if I were to save 3 books they would have to be...

1. Where the Red Fern Grows: Loved that book from start to finish. I read it 8 times in one summer and I thank that I have read it over 50 times throughout my lifetime.

2. Black Hawk Down: Way better than the movie. I liked it because it didn't glorify war...rather it shows the true aspects of modern warfare.

3. "M" encyclopedia: There is alot of cool stuff that started with "M".
        "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

I'd probably take the 'Space Odysseys' (one book with all four volumes in), 'Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You' (very interesting, would be useful if all other scientific knowledge was to be destroyed) and the 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' series (again, all 5 in one book).
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

World War Z
            doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Lone Survivor - After reading this book I have vowed to never complain about many things ever again including the weather. Marcus Luttrel's story is really amazing, and it covers all bases.

Into Thin Air
              - A harrowing story.

Biohazard The Chilling True Story of the Largest Covert Biological Weapons Program in the World - Told from Inside by the Man Who Ran it. - One of the scariest real time books that will truly make you think about the world we live in, and what risks the Russian Military really went with perfecting Anthrax and how they didn't have a problem storing it in populated places.

Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
              Level I HazMat Technician
              NYS EMT-B
              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

The Lord of the Rings trilogy
                although if perhaps I could find a massive book with all of them in it then I think I agree with SCratchMonkey and take a Heinlein book

Comment

vvv Truely life changing. The best part is that it's 0% pie-in-the-sky idealism stuff. Contrarily, it's all very down to earth, hands-on, practical, logical methods for day to day living. "A handbook for living" is really a perfect title... it's just that. RTFM and be happy :)

Comment

Because I just finished reading it Alexis De Tocqueville's "Democracy In America". This book is the best description of America and it's ways that I have ever read.

I would tape all the Dune books together and pretend it is one big book.

Third one might be the dictionary if that isn't allowed.

If not then I would pick one of Kurt Vonnegut's books. Probably Bluebeard or Maybe Galapagos.

Oh oh oh. Maybe "100 years of solitude" in the original Espaniol. I read the English translation on a train trip and it was very good.
                    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X