Joining the Air Force in a few months

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the Air Force in a few months

Hey all, Im joining the US Air Force in may of this year and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me? I am joining in may cause im in college right now trying to get the basic courses done cause im on financial ai and the policy states that I have to have at least 60% of the course done to get withdrawn and I don't feel like paying any thing back.

When I went to the recruiting station the recruiter said that on my appliation I would have to choose 7 jobs, there are my choices:

- 2A3X2-F-16, F-117, CV-22 AVIONIC SYSTEMS (E-67)

- 3E7X1-FIRE PROTECTION (G-39)

- 2A3X1- F-15/F-111 AVIONIC SYSTEMS (E-67)

- 3C0X1-COMMUNICATIONS - COMPUTER SYSTEMS OPERATIONS (G-60)

- 2M0X1-MISSILE AND SPACE SYSTEMS ELECTRONIC MAINTENANCE (E-67)

- 2T2X1- AIR TRANSPORTATION (M-44/A-32)

- 2W0X1- MUNITIONS SYSTEMS (M-55/G-55)

I am looking for jobs that would be interesting and specifically "On Base" jobs in which you dont work for long hours and don't get deployed much. The reason is is that I want to be able to attend college so I can get my bachelors and hopefully become a Fighter Pilot in the future
    Last edited by Barrel Chest; 01-27-2009, 06:44 PM.

Re: Joining the Air Force in a few months

Well if you want "on base" jobs and don't want to be deployed, then toss out any 1AXXX jobs right off the bat. I was a C-5 Loadmaster (1A2X1), and we were gone ALL the time. I was home a total of maybe around a month or two every year. However, you can get most of your degree online these days, and being aircrew can help make you a shoe-in for being a pilot.

Also, if you decide not to become aircrew for the sake of being home, you will really be missing out on a kick-ass military life. Yes it sucks being gone all the time, but you regularly stay in officers quarters wherever you go, you get relatively fast promotion, aircrew pay, and bunkloads of perdiem since you're gone all the time. Not to mention I LOVED the job. Get used to 26 hour duty days, though. Through that job, I truly got to experience the world as not many people get to. I wouldn't trade my Air Force days as a loadmaster for anything! Oh yeah, and I got most of my degree completed while I was in as well. I was able to do a lot of it while deployed even!

Either way, it looks like you were offered the cream of the crop for enlisted careers. Those are actually all fantastic jobs! I really really wanted to switch to 1A7X1, but ended up taking a bit of a military break instead. I might rejoin someday, though.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
      Well if you want "on base" jobs and don't want to be deployed, then toss out any 1AXXX jobs right off the bat. I was a C-5 Loadmaster (1A2X1), and we were gone ALL the time. I was home a total of maybe around a month or two every year. However, you can get most of your degree online these days, and being aircrew can help make you a shoe-in for being a pilot.

Also, if you decide not to become aircrew for the sake of being home, you will really be missing out on a kick-ass military life. Yes it sucks being gone all the time, but you regularly stay in officers quarters wherever you go, you get relatively fast promotion, aircrew pay, and bunkloads of perdiem since you're gone all the time. Not to mention I LOVED the job. Get used to 26 hour duty days, though. Through that job, I truly got to experience the world as not many people get to. I wouldn't trade my Air Force days as a loadmaster for anything! Oh yeah, and I got most of my degree completed while I was in as well. I was able to do a lot of it while deployed even!

Either way, it looks like you were offered the cream of the crop for enlisted careers. Those are actually all fantastic jobs! I really really wanted to switch to 1A7X1, but ended up taking a bit of a military break instead. I might rejoin someday, though.
      During war time, transports are in the air the same amount but mostly more than fighter aircraft and bombers. Kind of ironic when you really come to think of it.
      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
      Level I HazMat Technician
      NYS EMT-B
      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Why not just go for a military career instead? I may be wrong, but as far as I know, after serving some time in the military, you can apply for officer school (not NCO school, officer school) - and you'd need to become a officer to become a fighter pilot anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
          Either way, it looks like you were offered the cream of the crop for enlisted careers. Those are actually all fantastic jobs!
          I wasnt offered them, on my enlistment form, they give you 7 slots to fill in with jobs that you desire, so they do kinda like a drawing to see which one is the USAF's top priority. These are my prospective careers

*Updated* Career List
          Last edited by Barrel Chest; 01-27-2009, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
            During war time, transports are in the air the same amount but mostly more than fighter aircraft and bombers. Kind of ironic when you really come to think of it.
            Another funny thing about hauling cargo is that you will be extremely busy and TDY all the time during peace time as well. All the different bases worldwide have needs and global disasters happen as well, so expect to help out with all that stuff as well. Great missions, though. I brought relief and evacuated people out of New Orleans, and brought supplies and heavy equipment to Sri Lanka & Thailand after that big tsunami.

Comment

I really don't know anything about this job because I have nothing to do with planes. But from what I heard it is that is pretty cake job.

Firefighters SUCK!!! There is a mutual hatred between our two career fields. They work really odd hours and I don't think that you want to do this. They work 4 on 3 off or some goody schedule like that.

I am going to say it is about the same as F-16's job.

- 3C0X1-COMMUNICATIONS - COMPUTER SYSTEMS OPERATIONS (G-60)

You give people their Email...I really don't know this one.

- 2M0X1-MISSILE AND SPACE SYSTEMS ELECTRONIC MAINTENANCE (E-67)

CAKE! My ALS instructor was a missle maintainer. He never deployed, never went TDY, never did anything. The only sucky part is that you are probably going to go to Minot ND.

My brother has this job now and he says he hates it. He said that basically you are the loadmasters bitch.

- 2W0X1- MUNITIONS SYSTEMS (M-55/G-55)

DO NOT DO AMMO!!!!!!!!!

Hope that this helps.

Dirt
              "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post

My brother has this job now and he says he hates it. He said that basically you are the loadmasters bitch.
                Lol! SO SO true! It is indeed a sucky job. Those poor guys get treated pretty harsh. You have to work nights a lot, hang out in the snow a lot, get yelled at all the time by pilots and loads, etc. etc. Oh yeah, and frequent deployments to crappy places and never get to see any action.

I felt bad for doing it, but I'd have to make them repack loads all the time, or send stuff back for being incompatible hazardous material. They'd end up having to do double the work they had to, because of either insufficient training or being told to do the wrong thing by someone else who didn't know what they were doing.

If you have the choice between this or Loadmaster, the choice should be obvious.

Comment

Yeah dirtboy, good thing you came here and told me, Im so glad I didnt sign those papers yet, phew, I would of been screwed over LOL. Well since Warmonge said it is possible to get education done while deployed These are some good prospects I had in my previous list before it was updated

- 1A2X1-AIRCRAFT LOADMASTER (G-55)

- 1A4X1-AIRBORNE BATTLE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS (G-53)

- 1A7X1- AERIAL GUNNER (M-45/E-56)

I heard EOD and Emergency Management are pretty cool jobs. I also am not sure about the Avionics Systems jobs.
                  Last edited by Barrel Chest; 01-28-2009, 11:14 AM.

Comment

i think

sounds good..
                    If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

If I were you, I would go into something to do with something that you enjoy.

For me, I love Heavy Equipment and blowing crap up with explosives. That is why I went I went into this certain AFSC. But I didn't know that my job has one of the highest deployment rates in the Air Force. I am trying to cross-train into Aerial Gunner slot, but my job is undermanned.

Don't expect to get schooling done with any of those career fields...especially while you are deployed. Most of the "Enlisted" flyboy jobs involves extremely odd hours and you are traveling to different locations daily.

If I were you, do something with nukes or administration to get the most out of it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dirt
                      "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post

Firefighters SUCK!!! There is a mutual hatred between our two career fields. They work really odd hours and I don't think that you want to do this. They work 4 on 3 off or some goody schedule like that.
                        Hold your horses there, my sister inlaw is a FF in the AF Guard, and absolutely loves it. She's deployed twice in 5 years, both to Iraq.
                        USAR

Comment

Listen to Dirt, he knows his stuff! A Captain at my Air Force ROTC detachment was in Space and Missiles (before he became an officer) and he loved it. He actually got his masters degree while working, they flew out professors to his base (he was stationed in Hawaii I believe) and he would take classes there. All in all though make sure you take a job you are interested in.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

So Ive done research and I like these careers, and im pretty sure I can still go to school with these duties

2M0X3-MISSILE AND SPACE FACILITIES (E-50)

2M0X2- MISSILE AND SPACE SYSTEMS MAINTENANCE (M-44)

2W2X1- NUCLEAR WEAPONS (M-55)

2E4X1-SPACE SYSTEMS (E-67)

Im not sure about the
                            2A3X1- F-15/F-111 AVIONIC SYSTEMS (E-67)
                            and
                            2A3X2-F-16, F-117, CV-22 AVIONIC SYSTEMS (E-67)
                            and
                            2A5X3- BOMBER AVIONICS SYSTEMS (E-67)
                            Does anyone know anything about deployment rates for these, cause i know you can pick where you want to be stationed at during the time before you get processed in

Comment

I was a 2A5X1 g

Crew Cheif on a heavy

Any 1A and some 2A will get to do some TDY's. If you go into the 2A side stay the heck away from fighter type aircraft. Very little TDY, lots of deployments. Nice thing about a Heavy is the maintance crew goes with the aircraft. Most Fighter type aircraft relay on transiant maintance (not you). Name the place in the south pacific and I have been there, chased the woman and drank the booze.

AF is a good life, there are some jobs better than others, but there really arent and "bad" jobs. Well thats not true, AMMO and SP blows.
                              doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X