Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MUDs

Just out of random curiosity..

Do any of you have a clue what these are?

If not, skip the rest of this post. Google it.

>

>

>

>

>

Which ones do you play? Roleplay or hack'n'slash? How long ago did you last play one?

If it's been years, I'd recommend getting back into it. They've made quite a few advances in that time.

Now for those guys that actually took the time to google it but still have no clue, please no 'LULZ NOOB' responses. Kthx.

- Star

Re: MUDs

They're called "roguelike" games, or just "roguelikes" for short. They've still got a decent following, and a lot of people will ready your post and go "duh". :) I'm not making fun of you, just saying that there are a decent number of people that still play them.

Here are two of the most popular in the past few years:
    Dwarf Fortress: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
    ADoM: http://www.jbc.edu/~josh/adom-sage/

ADoM is old and hasn't been updated in years, but it's bug-free and works awesomely. The real kicker is Dwarf Fortress, which is too amazing to put in one thread post. To see what I mean, read this: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_2008.html

That's just an example of all the work the guy has done in *2008 alone* on this game. He's a math professor who quit his job to work on his game and live off donations. I really can't overstate the awesomeness of Dwarf Fortress... it's the best roguelike out there, in my opinion, and it keeps getting better.

EDIT: Oops, you mean MUDs, like you said... but single-player roguelikes are good, too. :) Check here for an *online* server to play ADoM at, so you can have a non-cheating, non-scumming way to compare or spectate games: http://ancardia.ath.cx/adom_server_info.txt That's still doesn't add the MU onto the D, though. Lol :)
    TG5th USARMY||JeonJiHyeon

Comment

I'm .. well aware of what they are, actually.

I own one, and have played them for years.

But anyway, I did mean MUDs specifically, yes. ;)

What you're speaking of is Interactive Fiction on a command line, yes?

Comment

I used to play Darkmists in JHS and HS with some friends. It's still up and being updated apparently, more than a decade after I last played: http://www.darkmists.org/.

Comment

I did quite a bit of MUSH building in college. This is going back a ways, but I remember it being a nice creative outlet since my engineering classes were pretty dry. My work was on TinyTIM, which I believe is still there. I recreated a portion of the McCaffrey books and populated it with gadgets and NPCs and whatnot.

Heh, now you've got me. I had to log in to find out. Yep, still there, though not all my gadgets work :(.

Comment

Originally posted by Startrekern View Post
            I'm .. well aware of what they are, actually.

I own one, and have played them for years.

But anyway, I did mean MUDs specifically, yes. ;)

What you're speaking of is Interactive Fiction on a command line, yes?
            Yeah, I had already realized after I posted that I completely sidestepped your actual post, so I went back and made that edit. Sorry ;)

No, I'm talking about "roguelikes". A good example of a "roguelike" genre game is Nethack. Extremely complicated and advanced text-based RPG games where you run around slaying alphanumeric Ancient Karmic Dragons and such. Not anything like Interactive Fiction.

Here's an example of ADoM:

Comment

ADoM reminds me of my old Commodore 128 days and playing Text Based games like..

Pirates Cove was one... I think Zork was another....Damn I spent hours playing those....LOL!

That was a loooong time ago in a galaxy far far away...

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Originally posted by Quest Shady View Post
                ADoM reminds me of my old Commodore 128 days and playing Text Based games like..

Pirates Cove was one... I think Zork was another....Damn I spent hours playing those....LOL!

That was a loooong time ago in a galaxy far far away...
                Try it again, man... ADoM is a fully polished, extremely complicated yet fun game. There is a reason people still play these.

Click on a few links at the ADoM Guidebook website, and you'll see that the game's not quite as simple as it looks: http://natrox.ath.cx/adom/improved/

Anyway, the MUDs I used to play in the mid 90s were all text-based. Are they still like that?
                Last edited by FFLaguna; 02-03-2009, 12:21 PM.

Comment

If you're connecting via something like telnet, it's got to be text-based. Darkmists is still there and text-based. As far as I can tell, nothing's really changed other than addition of new races, classes, skills, spells, locations and such. All the mechanics and interface is exactly how I remembered it.

Comment

I did quite a lot of MUDding in Highschool. Mostly on the Emlen codebase, which was a mishmash of Diku, Merc and other codes. It featured a scrolling text based Map with realtime indicators for player locations, which was pretty sweet for a purely text-based entity.

MUD's were basically pre-graphical MMO's. That being said, I hate MMO's. Go Figure.
                    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I played (in order of most recent) :

Achaea
                      Dragon's Gate
                      Darkness Falls: The Crusade

Loved them, would still play them if I had some friends in there and had enough time in the day (I was always the evil character, hard to find friends when you keep insulting them). All of them had great communities and, besides DFC, were updated quite regularly.

DFC ended up being the basis for Dark Age of Camelot (I'm sure a lot of you have heard about that MMO), while Dragon's Gate and DFC were both apart of Mythic-Realms (Mythic.. before MMO years). DFC emphasized Realm vs. Realm combat, and Dragon's Gate was very well-established (they boost themselves as one of the the longest running(or ran) pay-for-game service.

I jumped into Achaea because I missed playing in a MUD. That was like 2 years ago for a couple months, then I just kinda lost track.
                      "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the people to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea."
                      -Antoine De Saint-Exupery

Comment

That screenshot actually looks like a hack-n-slash MUD with an ASCII map. Which exist. EmpireMUD is a good example.

Comment

[media]http://frontiermux.com/e107_images/screenshots/xpertmud2.png[/media]

I used to play here and on other Battletech sites (3025 and 3065 namely, which are both comatose). The advent of the graphical client (an example in the picture above) made it really easy to get into and play. Took a lot of the original hassel of having to be an ace typist just to get around the world map and shoot up your foes. Of course, none of the old timers used them, or at least they wouldn't admit to it.

|TG-Irr| Chalcas
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                            .. which was a mishmash of Diku, Merc an..
                            Ahh..DIKU!>..

Late 80's Early 90's...My College days... Telnet.. with the TINT overlay.. (I think it was TINT and not TIN)... We used to lock down the computer labs when they would clsoe and the REAL Geeks would hog the lab and MUD all night... Some of the "Mathier" geeks would play..um...damn..Some Space Trading Game... resource grabbing.. I forget..
                            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                              Ahh..DIKU!>..

Late 80's Early 90's...My College days... Telnet.. with the TINT overlay.. (I think it was TINT and not TIN)... We used to lock down the computer labs when they would clsoe and the REAL Geeks would hog the lab and MUD all night... Some of the "Mathier" geeks would play..um...damn..Some Space Trading Game... resource grabbing.. I forget..
                              Trade Wars 2002 or similar from the old BBS days?
                              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X