What ever happened to Tribes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ever happened to Tribes?

Check it out on Wikipedia! Tribes 2 is back in business as a free-ware download and with the release of the TribesNext patch from TribesNext.com you don't need the key to play online anymore!

For anyone who doesn't know what Tribes 2 is I strongly recommend it, you'll be pleasently surprised.

Re: What ever happened to Tribes?

Ah yes, Tribes 2. I still have the game but it won't work on my computer due to video issues and the fact it is too old. I'll give this a try later because I have a lot of other games to get through first.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Didn't the Master Server Browser go down like last month or so... ?
      Tribes and T2 and the gameplay mods (Renegade etc.) made that an addicting game,,,,, GREAT STUFF I AGREE...
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Not at all, I was just playing it last night. It was awesome! Played Shifter a little bit too, missed that mod, but it was only bots on.

Comment

What? Tribes II? Heresy! I've still got Starsiege: Tribes loaded on one of my computers. A perfect example of a game that should be remade with updated graphics and no changes to the engine what so ever... Though tribes with full physics simulation might be pretty sexy.

Comment

Glad to hear Tribes 2 isn't completely dead. I had a lot of fun in that game from 2001-2002.
            "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
            -- Red Forman

Comment

To this day it's still the most fun I've ever had online, I miss it greatly. I tried playing again a couple of years ago but it was mostly bots on the servers. Not to say people aren't still playing it but it's nothing like it was back in it's hay day.

Vengeance was so bad it completely killed the franchise.

But if they're trying to breath fresh life into it I'll gladly come back.

Comment

Vengeance was awesome. Very fun, not sure how it killed the franchise. It was reviewed pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                  Didn't the Master Server Browser go down like last month or so... ?.
                  Yea, Sierra took it down last year. That's what this TribesNext patch is for, it replaces it with a community run master server.

Sierra released the game for free a few years ago themselves, and even it didn't have much of an impact on the community, it's gonna be hard to find enough people to have a good game with.

Comment

I just got off. The game is completely free now and the guys at somethingawful have their own server and it's was full when I left.

The reason I say Vengence killed the franchise is because it did. The series had a pretty big following with Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 but for countless reasons Vengence disappointed thier base audience by dumbing it down and adding single player. Check wikipedia for the long version.

In any case if you enjoyed the game at all and miss it like I do, then NOW is the time to get on this and revive the community.

Thanks SO much LaezarFox you have no idea how happy this makes me.

Comment

So, no issues yet? Hmmm, I just might have to give this a whirl.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I think, that if I am not mistaken, that was the first game to have in-game voice, right? And actual squads..? Or am I thinking about something else? I do remember the absolutely HUGE maps....

I might just have to whip out one of my old Win98 boxes and give it another try..I wonder if my old 6800LE could run that ok..??

Wait a minute..I think I had like a 4400 back in those days and it was certainly Win98..right?

What are the odds that I can make this work on my Quad box with Vista Ulty x64..?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
                          I think, that if I am not mistaken, that was the first game to have in-game voice, right? And actual squads..? Or am I thinking about something else? I do remember the absolutely HUGE maps....

I might just have to whip out one of my old Win98 boxes and give it another try..I wonder if my old 6800LE could run that ok..??

Wait a minute..I think I had like a 4400 back in those days and it was certainly Win98..right?

What are the odds that I can make this work on my Quad box with Vista Ulty x64..?
                          It had a chat but it never worked. No squads or anything but very teamwork oriented.

Comment

The 6800LE could definitely run it. I ran it on high settings with a GeForce2 MX 400, lol. So yeaahh. Also, I'm sure it runs on Win 98 but I think I ran it on XP.
                            "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                            -- Red Forman

Comment

Windows ME didn't like Tribes 2, or any game I tried running on it after my dad swapped hard drives. :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X