Digital TV Rollout Delayed??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital TV Rollout Delayed??

Ok..can someone please explain WHY they had to delay this Digital TV roll out and additional 4 months?? This is not a Secret program that has been kept quiet and then sprung on the American TV viewing public. They have been blasting TV commercials across the waves for more then a year now telling a this is going to happen and when. Now that it's here the politicians are now concerned that someone is going to miss American Idol or an episode of 24????

There HAS to be a back story..or a conspiracy or something.. Maybe the company that makes the converters is owned by a senators brother...and the coupon deal is running out.. Something... Please tell me why they need 4 months or what the 4 months will do...

Is there any reason we should trust anyone doing crap like this.. We are big boys and girls..and if we didn't' switch over then screw us... Stick to your guns/deadlines.. Geez.. Is nothing set in stone (April 15th maybe..)

:icon18:
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: Digital TV Rollout Delayed??

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy-pD-M0rY4&eurl=&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
      [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy-pD-M0rY4&eurl=&feature=player_embedded[/media]
      LOL.. Nice..
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

so they're waiting another 4 months for that old lady to die off?

I think its great, all the people that are too stupid to figure it out wont be able to watch american idol and 24, so those shows will get taken off the air. more room for my masterpiece theater and muder she wrote!

Comment

Even my grandmother (who is pretty ancient) got the converter box plenty of time in advance. I hooked it up for her too. Super easy. She probably could have done it had she not been in the hospital at the time.

I have a conspiracy theory on this one. I believe it's because the cable companies haven't gotten off their rears to finish converting all the channels yet. Through my cable (no box), I get maybe 10 digital channels and like 90 analog ones. There's no excuse for that in this digital age. At least Time Warner gives me NBC-HD and ABC-HD. Charter up in DFW never gave me those in HD, because they still don't feel like paying NBC or ABC for those. Buncha jerks.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

anyone remember that all broadcast stations were supposed to be HD in 2006, but it got pushed back. And now they need more time. Again.

Comment

It doesn't help that the government ran out of funds for the coupons which were supposed to help defray the cost of the converter. And the typical person in need of a converter often can't afford cable or satellite so the coupon is a big deal to them. Let's hope they can make some solid progress in the next four months.
              |TG|Melee
              Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

In three years they couldn't get this together... I'm with the same sentiment. Just switch over on the due date, and have at it.

Though I find it amusing that Comcast has it's commercials going "worried about not getting your channels after the transition? Switch to COMCAST and you don't have to worry about the transition!" Yeah... why the people haven't dismantled Comcast as a company in it's entirety yet, just for how sheerly evil and deceptive they've been, is beyond me.

From what I understand, the analog over-air broadcast cutoff is exactly that: OVER-AIR BROADCAST cutoff. It doesn't mean that cable companies have to offer all of their channels in HD. After the cutoff, there will still be all the SD channels for my DVR to record off of :)

In regard to the coupons and the funds, well that is unfortunate but you can always offer up deferment for people. Layaway, 90 day terms, etc and then be reimbursed with said coupon in some other form. It's just that something on this scale will never be 100%.... so to expect that 4 months of delay will afford another maybe 10% of the population their coupons. Just seems like they're dragging it out.
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Even the coupons annoy me to be honest. After my divorce a few years back, I went about 2 years without a tv at all. I had to sell my old one to make ends meet. Then I decided to save my money for one I really wanted. Took me about a year of solidly putting money aside, but I finally did it. I never NEEDED a tv in the meanwhile. In fact, my life was a little more simple without one. I got around to reading more books and playing board games with my friends. Contrary to popular American belief, tv is NOT a necessity. It is a luxury. So why the hold up? Let's get this stinkin' show on the road! Are we ever going to see this transition happen already?
                  "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                    It doesn't help that the government ran out of funds for the coupons which were supposed to help defray the cost of the converter. And the typical person in need of a converter often can't afford cable or satellite so the coupon is a big deal to them. Let's hope they can make some solid progress in the next four months.
                    They run out of funds for this and cant find where to get money to help refund that program. But have no problem rushing a 900billion dollar check that is gonna "help" the country...
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

I work in engineering at a television station. It's not the local broadcasters that are the problem. Believe me, we've been ready for this for a long, long time. We've spent untold amounts of time and money educating our viewers. That was pretty much all for nothing. The videos we produced, the literature we printed, the booths we manned at public events... all for nothing.

It's going to cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars to keep our analog signal going for another four months. In this economy, that's very, very bad.

The problem is that Pres. Obama is catering to special interest groups that want to delay the transition. Those special interest groups represent the poor, the elderly, and minorities, claiming these people will not have access to over-the-air TV, mostly due to the coupon program snafu. That is true, and it's also true that TV does serve the public interest in providing emergency information in the event of a disaster. Everyone *should* have access to free over-the-air TV.

But your local broadcasters are, in all probability, ready to go, and not very happy about this delay.
                      [volun]

Comment

Originally posted by TG_PolishBoogieman View Post
                        I work in engineering at a television station. It's not the local broadcasters that are the problem. Believe me, we've been ready for this for a long, long time. We've spent untold amounts of time and money educating our viewers. That was pretty much all for nothing. The videos we produced, the literature we printed, the booths we manned at public events... all for nothing.

It's going to cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars to keep our analog signal going for another four months. In this economy, that's very, very bad.

The problem is that Pres. Obama is catering to special interest groups that want to delay the transition. Those special interest groups represent the poor, the elderly, and minorities, claiming these people will not have access to over-the-air TV, mostly due to the coupon program snafu. That is true, and it's also true that TV does serve the public interest in providing emergency information in the event of a disaster. Everyone *should* have access to free over-the-air TV.

But your local broadcasters are, in all probability, ready to go, and not very happy about this delay.
                        And they represent the lazy. I have counted 12 different commercials for the transition since i got home from work at 5. If you dint get the hint by now then you shouldnt be allowed to watch TV.
                        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                        -Vulcan

Comment

I spent over an hour watching this debate on cspan yesterday (I just got old, apparently) and was BLOWN AWAY by the idiots that sit on the hill.

The delay is because ONLY 95% of the US (according to Nielsen on Jan 22nd) were ready. the other x million (I say 'x' b/c the number changed every 3 minutes) will not have access to the E.B.S. (which is also available on radio - which at my last check was staying analog) and with tornado and hurricane season beginning march 1 / april 1 respectively, we cannot afford to not be able to communicate with people.

The transition was supposed to happen AUTOMATICALLY when 85% of the country was ready, and feb. 17 was the fail-safe.

Those for the bill whined that they needed the 115 days b/c the "previous administration failed so completely". here are my thoughts.

1) these guys were in office and responsible for the legislation - not Bush.
                          2) Obama is Change, but once again - the government is lying to America. "we promise we will switch on 2-17. We even sold the bandwidth and cashed the check." oh wait... Bush sucked. That's why no one realized till 14 days out that 100% might not be ready... forget half of us actually helped write this bs bill.
                          3) STHU. the guys for the switch all said they spent time in their districts talking with the elderly and others who would be affected, and had numbers in the hundreds still waiting... those against it had numbers in the 6-8 thousand range and never mentioned getting their butts out on the front line.
                          4) emergency workers need the bandwidth more than the few who are not ready.... a number shrinking by 300,000 to 400,000 per week.
                          5) after 9 months of the rebate card program, you idiots are JUST NOW figuring out that 3rd class mail plus 90day expiration don't go together. you own the post office, morons. print more stamps... it DOES seem to be the answer to everything on the hill lately.
                          6) the fund to finance the rebates ran out of money. we need 225m more. you are trying to get a check 900 BILLION, morons. print more money... it does seem to be the answer to everything on the hill lately.
                          7) keep America #16 (we were 3 four years ago) in broadband connectivity... that's JUST what we need.
                          8) Obama got advice from a dude who owns clearlink (a company wholly not ready for 2-17.. and would GREATLY benefit from the delay.)
                          9) Everyone PROMISES this is a one time delay. Oh! YOU PROMISE! well, since you have a track record of keeping your word on this one...
                          10) I mean what's the harm in 115 days? really? S. T. H. U! Go call grandma and ask if she has cable. If she doesn't know... visit (she misses you anyway) if she aint ready.. make her ready... you can afford the 40.00 for the woman who sent you 20.00 every holiday until you were 18.
                          11) There is NO excuse at this point. If you are against it no, you should have been fighting harder 6 months ago when you had time to fix it... too late sucker... go apologize to your district on why you let them down so bad, then go kill yourself for being such a hypocrite.

Personally, I am so past ready, and hate those stupid commercials... 3 years is too long to ask for 115 more days.

Sorry... this one pisses me off.

How about the Faith-based office speech this morning? awesome.
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X