X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 1943 Q&A With Gustav Halling

Q&A

Will there be any ships in the game?
    BF1943 have 2 hangar ships and and LCVP’s.

Is there any support for clan matches?
    There will be support for Private Matches in BF1943.

How many kits will there be in BF1943?
    We have focused down the number of kits to 3 kits that enables you to do almost everything that you could do in BF1942 with 7 kits!

* Infantry - SMG, Hand grenades, Anti-tank rifle and a lethal Wrench!
    * Rifleman - Semi-automatic Rifle (Garand etc), Rifle Grenade, Hand grenades, knife
    * Scout - Bolt-action Sniper Rifle, Expack (C4), Pistol and sword/knife

Infantry and Scout seem to have some kind of anti-vehicle weapon, what about Rifleman?
    Rifleman have his Rifle Grenade rifle that does damage to vehicles!

Is BF1943 a “Internet browser” game?
    No, BF1943 is not a Internet browser game, it’s a download-only game on X360, PS3 & PC.

Is there any stats system?
    Yes, BF1943 will use a stats system very much like the one in Bad Company.

Is there any medic packs or ammo crates on the levels?
    No BF1943 wont have either.

* BF1943 uses a regenerating health system
    * BF1943 uses a replenish ammo system

The ammo system is balanced with reload and overheat systems. You still will have clips with 5/8/30 rounds that needs reloading.

Expacks and AT rockets are coming in “bundles”, you can fire the amount of rockets you have pretty fast, then a tweaked timer kicks in to reload the bundle!

All this together will give you an gaming experience where you don’t need to run around looking for crates and can focus on what’s fun, pwning some enemies! =)

How does the Air Raid work?
    The Air strike can be called in by anyone and it’s controlled by that person!

How does the recoil and deviation system work?
    BF1943 uses my new weapon design that instead of randomizing bullets in a big circle as in many other games, your bullets will instead “walk” after each other.
    This doesn’t mean that it’s easier to use the weapons but they will be easier to learn, control and master!

Is there any unlocks?
    We wanted to give all players the same experience from start and thats why we will not use unlocks but give you all the weapons and gadgets from the start!
    But our stats system will give you things to hunt for instead!

Why does BF1943 have a 24 players?
    64 players are of course awesome but will all good there is some hurting also. I can assure you that the 24 player limit is not about us being lazy but the experience of a massive battlefield is not bound to the amount of players!
    And as many of you remember most clan wars where player with 8vs8 or 12vs12 and what we have seen many of the 64-player servers are mostly half-full or having lack of performance.

We have made it sure that Battlefield 1943 will feel big and have a fast pacing, bf1942 actually had very low pacing! If you place 100 people in one room it feels very small, but if you put 100 people on the streets it seems like nothing!
    24 players will give us the benefit of having full servers almost all the time and the whole map area is being used!

Beside these design decisions there are technical limitations. There are very restricted bandwidth limits on the consoles and we are networking a lot more then 24 players:
    - 24 players are networked
    - Almost as many physics driven vehicles with movable and destroyable parts
    - All destruction, if a wall is being destroyed on one client we need to update it on all the others, otherwise we could end up with players hiding behind non-existent walls.

If we did remove all destruction and all our vehicles we could have more players. But no other game gives you the wide gaming experience we have!

I cant see any minimap on the preview videos, is it removed?
    BF1943 will have a minimap at release, it just haven’t been added yet =)
    The videos you see are recorded from a pre-alpha build and is not always the final version!

Has anything been done about base raping for collecting stats?
    Yes, BF1943 uses a anti-base-rape system that makes it impossible to get any stats inside enemy bases!

How are 24 players going to fill up the maps?
    We have tweaked the map sizes to fit 24 players but still staying true to the original maps!

Source: Gustav Halling's Blog

Battlefield 1943 gameplay video with commentary:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNVVvV2EUkw[/media]

POE2 Developer

Re: Battlefield 1943 Q&A With Gustav Halling

I don't know. I'm feeling a little bit ambivalent about that. To me, it sounds like they took far too much emphasis on the console version, and I really dislike that regeneration system, it's not only horribly unrealistic, but it also takes out a lot of tactics (no medics? No support class? Wtf?). I'm also wondering about the recoil/deviation system; the bullets "walk" after each other? What is that supposed to mean? Also, the standard "circle" technique has established itself in the shooter genre and unless the new system's really good, I'm not sure if I'd like it.

Frankly said, the whole game sounds like it's a big frag fest without any tactics involved at all. From what it says here, I'd probably say that maybe even TF2 has more tactic involved than this game.

Comment

Beside these design decisions there are technical limitations. There are very restricted bandwidth limits on the consoles and we are networking a lot more then 24 players:
      Makes it pretty clear 1943 was designed first for the consoles then ported over to the pc. Not a new thing but still disappointing when you see it done to a series you enjoy. And whatever focus group they talked to told them support roles are not fun! I'm wondering how the built in squad and command structure will work.

Comment

I expect a fun run-around that happens to have the BF name
        Its not going to be TG big server AWESOMENESS, so i dont expect that

Comment

I don't get you EA. Advice for you:

1. Make proper BF3 PC-version like everyone wants. Earn money.
          2. Deploy proper steam-like system (no ea downloader joke) with BF3 to avoid piracy by the kiddies. Result: Compete with steam and earn more money.
          3. Release expansion and map packs reguarly. Some free, some payable. Result: More BF3 buyers and more money.
          4. Release free SDK so BF3 can be modded. PR on BF3 anyone? Result: More BF3 buyers and more money.
          5. Release BF4 and other quality games and sell to established customer base. Result: Your rich future.

Me and 20000 other TG members have the money all ready here in a big pile for you, where are you EA?

Comment

Originally posted by Superfast View Post
            I don't get you EA. Advice for you:

1. Make proper BF3 PC-version like everyone wants. Earn money.
            If you don't think they are going to earn boatloads of money with this, you are deluding yourself. There isn't enough of a market for PC only titles compared to mixed console/pc titles to make this worth their while.
            2. Deploy proper steam-like system (no ea downloader joke) with BF3 to avoid piracy by the kiddies. Result: Compete with steam and earn more money.
            http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...m-sans-drm.ars looks like they aren't going to use a steam-like-system, they are going to use steam.
            3. Release expansion and map packs reguarly. Some free, some payable. Result: More BF3 buyers and more money.
            They know what they are doing, but I find it amusing you essentially want them to milk the market by releasing small releases frequently at low prices instead of a big title at a higher cost
            4. Release free SDK so BF3 can be modded. PR on BF3 anyone? Result: More BF3 buyers and more money.
            There is zero coorelation between SDK and higher sales figures. Zero, as in none. All the SDK does is keeps a title "current" longer because modders can make fresh games. It increases long-term revenue generation potential, but that doesn't necessarily mean it increases long term profit potential. If the SDK increased sales, the PC sales for titles like L4D and CoD4 would have been far and away greater then the console sales of those titles, which it is not. (Since the SDK only matters for the pc)
            5. Release BF4 and other quality games and sell to established customer base. Result: Your rich future.
            what do you think they are doing? making games to sell to an unestablished customer base to hopefully go to the poorhouse?

Me and 20000 other TG members have the money all ready here in a big pile for you, where are you EA?
            20,000 customers is hardly worth caring about at the scope these companies look to maximize their profits. If they make a game that turns off these 20,000 customers due to game mechanics, they will unfortunately probably gain another 200,000 customers they wouldn't have had if they cared about those 20,000 customers.

Until the PC gaming market shows it is worth companies time to develop titles seperately for all the platforms (based on sales figures) it isn't going to happen. Name me a single game that has come out over the last 2 or 3 years across the 3 big platforms (PC, xbox, ps) where the PC sales were far and away better then console sales and you might have a case for not combining development to save costs. As long as sales of titles to consoles equals or is greater then PC titles, we are going to get essentially console ports as PC games from all the big developers.

Comment

Wow way to think positive dude!!

Originally posted by Morganan View Post
              If you don't think they are going to earn boatloads of money with this, you are deluding yourself. There isn't enough of a market for PC only titles compared to mixed console/pc titles to make this worth their while.
              I hope they do whatever to earn money. So they can release it to consoles, board games and whatever, just as long as it comes to the pc as well. FPS games are best played on a pc in my opinion, but if they can/must release to consoles too, do it.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...m-sans-drm.ars looks like they aren't going to use a steam-like-system, they are going to use steam.
              I hope not.

They know what they are doing, but I find it amusing you essentially want them to milk the market by releasing small releases frequently at low prices instead of a big title at a higher cost
              Look around you my friend, we're mature gamers here. I'm willing to pay for quality gaming and i'll bet many others here are too. Just the mere talk of a new battlefield is big news in all the gaming magazines and communities out there. So i think there's a potential market for it, but hey they could release it for free too. Their call. But new content is always fun anyways.

There is zero coorelation between SDK and higher sales figures. Zero, as in none. All the SDK does is keeps a title "current" longer because modders can make fresh games. It increases long-term revenue generation potential, but that doesn't necessarily mean it increases long term profit potential. If the SDK increased sales, the PC sales for titles like L4D and CoD4 would have been far and away greater then the console sales of those titles, which it is not. (Since the SDK only matters for the pc)
              I just want EA to make a great product that will last a long time. They could learn a couple of things from Valve about well-polished releases that the masses can mod. And all small things to make the product better helps. That's what i want.

what do you think they are doing? making games to sell to an unestablished customer base to hopefully go to the poorhouse?

20,000 customers is hardly worth caring about at the scope these companies look to maximize their profits. If they make a game that turns off these 20,000 customers due to game mechanics, they will unfortunately probably gain another 200,000 customers they wouldn't have had if they cared about those 20,000 customers.

Until the PC gaming market shows it is worth companies time to develop titles seperately for all the platforms (based on sales figures) it isn't going to happen. Name me a single game that has come out over the last 2 or 3 years across the 3 big platforms (PC, xbox, ps) where the PC sales were far and away better then console sales and you might have a case for not combining development to save costs. As long as sales of titles to consoles equals or is greater then PC titles, we are going to get essentially console ports as PC games from all the big developers.
              I'm not saying things need to be PC exclusive here, i'm saying a quality game will sell and that many TG'ers and other like-minded gamers around are willing to pay for it. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfast View Post
                Wow way to think positive dude!!
                I'm being realistic, that's neither positive or negative,

I hope not.
                If I may ask, why? If steam provides the DRM for EA titles, people cant really bitch about that, and they are going to use it as their main digital distribution platform. Their previous digital distribution platform is a huge failure, which cost who knows how many dollars to create and get out there. Why invest more money in something that is basically universally reguarded as crap where they might end up getting zero return on their investment when they can use a previously established network where their only cost is a small percentage of the sale price of each title distributed?

Look around you my friend, we're mature gamers here. I'm willing to pay for quality gaming and i'll bet many others here are too. Just the mere talk of a new battlefield is big news in all the gaming magazines and communities out there. So i think there's a potential market for it, but hey they could release it for free too. Their call. But new content is always fun anyways.
                I'm willing to pay as well for a quality product, but I personally would rather pay $50.00 for a big title then 20 bucks for 3 smaller titles when the content would be the same in the end.

I just want EA to make a great product that will last a long time. They could learn a couple of things from Valve about well-polished releases that the masses can mod. And all small things to make the product better helps. That's what i want.
                We are in agreement here.

I'm not saying things need to be PC exclusive here, i'm saying a quality game will sell and that many TG'ers and other like-minded gamers around are willing to pay for it. Simple as that.
                I understand that, but I am saying the current market for gaming dictates that titles from the big publishing houses are typically made for the console crowd first and foremost and then ported to the PC. I personally loathe the dumbing down of titles so they are within a consoles capabilities to run, but like it or not we aren't going to get a game like BF1942 which was made solely with the PC audience in mind anymore because in doing so these companies would cut 40-70% of their profit potential.

Comment

There is no Battlefield 3. If it does come, it'll be a dirty pot of sludge designed for the consoles.

Can't say I blame people whose job is to make money for ... you know, making money, but damn if I'm not sad that the Battlefield franchise won't be coming to the PC anymore.

And console ports are not something I'm interested in playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Morganan View Post
                    If I may ask, why? If steam provides the DRM for EA titles, people cant really bitch about that, and they are going to use it as their main digital distribution platform. Their previous digital distribution platform is a huge failure, which cost who knows how many dollars to create and get out there. Why invest more money in something that is basically universally reguarded as crap where they might end up getting zero return on their investment when they can use a previously established network where their only cost is a small percentage of the sale price of each title distributed?
                    Because it's a good way to prevent piracy so they get the money they deserve so they can make more games.

I'm willing to pay as well for a quality product, but I personally would rather pay $50.00 for a big title then 20 bucks for 3 smaller titles when the content would be the same in the end.
                    I'll pay whatever as long as it's something good.

I understand that, but I am saying the current market for gaming dictates that titles from the big publishing houses are typically made for the console crowd first and foremost and then ported to the PC. I personally loathe the dumbing down of titles so they are within a consoles capabilities to run, but like it or not we aren't going to get a game like BF1942 which was made solely with the PC audience in mind anymore because in doing so these companies would cut 40-70% of their profit potential.
                    Yeah i agree with you. It's not the way i want things to go, but maybe it's unavoidable. I for one am sticking with PC games and willing to pay for it. Consoles just can't give me the gaming experience i want.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X